Road Scholar B

soyuppy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Topo and UTM

Post by soyuppy »

UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) is listed as one of item to know in the rule book. Though it's mark with * suggesting that question on this should be at introductory level.

I've been too many invitation but have not seen any question/coverage on this topic. Does anyone have info? What kind of question relation to UTM can one expect?
kkenmots02
Division: B
State: IL

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by kkenmots02 »

Hi guys,

One an invitational test, I was asked why a 1:24000 scale was good for maps in the 7.5 min series. Similarly, it asked why 15 minute maps use 1:15360?(I'm not sure, I think 15360) scale. I didn't know either of these and could not find them online later, do you guys know the answer? Thanks!
brayden box
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

The scale for the smaller map is larger, meaning the map and all the details will be larger. The 15 minute map, which is double the size of the 7.5 map, has half the scale so they can fit more area in. this also makes everything smaller. Hope this helps!!! :D
BBOX
kkenmots02
State: IL

Post by kkenmots02 »

brayden box wrote:The scale for the smaller map is larger, meaning the map and all the details will be larger. The 15 minute map, which is double the size of the 7.5 map, has half the scale so they can fit more area in. this also makes everything smaller. Hope this helps!!! :D
Thanks! I was wondering whether it was something mathematical with the numbers being so specific, didn't know if it was something more general like that.
Sciencegeekgirl

Post by Sciencegeekgirl »

The 2008 National Tournament Test (How the Grinch Aced Road Scholar) Answer Key is not on the Test Exchange.

Does anybody happen to have it?

Thanks in advance.
log10[infinity]
State: PA

Post by log10[infinity] »

Sciencegeekgirl wrote:The 2008 National Tournament Test (How the Grinch Aced Road Scholar) Answer Key is not on the Test Exchange.

Does anybody happen to have it?

Thanks in advance.
I know my school has a copy of the test and the answer key, but since our season is over I doubt I will have access to those papers. Sorry about that.

Return to “2016 Study Events”