[chat][/chat]
brayden box
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by brayden box »

Do you know any good places to find out info about satellite images? Last year I had a question about it and had no clue how to do it.
BBOX
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

Can someone help clarify/explain the answer to this questions?
refer to the attach snippet of image.
What is the magnetic declination from star north (North Star, Polaris) for this map?
The answer is 18°54’, by adding the GN and MN together. But I don't understand why? Isn't 17 1/2° is the value and the answer between MN and TN? Is North Start, Polaris different than TN?
Attachments
tn_gn_mn.png
robounicorn25
Division: C
State: IN

Post by robounicorn25 »

brayden box wrote:Do you know any good places to find out info about satellite images? Last year I had a question about it and had no clue how to do it.
I'm not sure satalite images are used, they were not used at regionals or state last year, but you can look in the rules to double check i dont have mine wth me right now
I love:
minions, Dolphin Tale Movies, Olaf, One Direction, Little mix, and 5 seconds of summer

2015: medals
1st place road scholar-regional
2016:medals
regional:
1st-road scholar
2nd-crave the wave
3rd-fossils
3rd-reach for the stars
brayden box

Post by brayden box »

I don't know if they are being used this year, but last year at the NEW YORK State competition, I had three questions about a satellite image on a open mine.
BBOX
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

Anyone know what AAA map they will be using this year? I thought they had it posted last year, but apparently I was mistaken. :roll:
platinumfalcon
State: NJ

Post by platinumfalcon »

Could some one give me a semidetailed overview of this event?
A couple questions I have:
1. What is this event about (major sections of test)?
2. What map do we study from?
3. What study resources should we use?
4. What are the major parts of this event?
EDIT: This is my first time doing this, so thanks for the help :D :D !
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

platinumfalcon wrote:Could some one give me a semidetailed overview of this event?
A couple questions I have:
1. What is this event about (major sections of test)?
2. What map do we study from?
3. What study resources should we use?
4. What are the major parts of this event?
EDIT: This is my first time doing this, so thanks for the help :D :D !
Welcome to the best event ever btw.
Okay, so I'll have to assume you have the rules otherwise you should focus on that before you receive any help. I'd give them to you if I were allowed, but...

1. Road Scholar is all about cartography and reading maps. The two major types of maps you will be asked to interpret are highway maps and topographic maps. Do a quick google search to know what they look like in general. Highway maps often represent a state in the U.S. or a group of states. They depict roads, municipal areas, state and national parks, and roadside attractions, to name a few. Topographic maps are much smaller-scale. You will often be given 7.5 minute maps. This refers to the length and width of the map, which measure 7.5 minutes in latitude and longitude (60 minutes to the degree). Topo maps have what are called contours, lines connecting points of the same elevation. Topo maps describe surface elevation and the topography (no kidding) of an area. When you compete you will be asked questions about both types of maps. You will be given maps in the event (no need to bring your own), which can be from practically anywhere. You will need to know the information that both types of maps contain, how to find it, measuring distances, angles, and coordinates, as well as practically everything that the maps have to offer. I cannot possibly describe everything that a map contains, so do some exploration on a real map for yourself and see what you can find!

2.Any map will do. It is not the location that is significant but your ability to understand what a map contains no matter where in the world the map directs you. I doubt the maps you receive in tests will be ones you have seen before, so it is using the tools you are allowed to bring and the tools that the map provides you with that make you skilled at this event.

3.I recommend reading the Road Scholar threads from years past, archived at the bottom of the forums page. USGS, the United States Geological Survey, has a bunch of great materials. Take a look at the wiki on this website as well. When I first learned this event my most important resource was an 8th grader who knew the ins and outs of this event. She taught me all the basic skills I needed. If you can find someone knowledgeable about maps, or better yet someone with experience in Road Scholar, CONSULT THEM! Nothing is a substitute, in my opinion, for a real-life teacher.

4. Think I pretty much covered this. Look at the wiki for major areas of interest.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions. We all know this thread needs some love.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
brayden box

Post by brayden box »

Also, do practice tests repeatedly, and have someone grade them according to the rubric. Also, geographical coordinates are worth alot of points, so are profiling and map drawing, so practice that too. :D
BBOX
SPP SciO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

drcubbin wrote:Anyone know what AAA map they will be using this year? I thought they had it posted last year, but apparently I was mistaken. :roll:
NY is using the AAA map of Washington-Oregon (same as last year). Surely this isn't standard practice in all states though, is it? The event parameters in the rulebook clearly state "The event supervisor ... will provide all maps." Last year was our first year competing in SciO, and the most-repeated piece of advice was "read the rules, read the rules, read the rules" - needless to say we were quite surprised to find out that we had to provide our own road map for the state competition, and heard "New York always does it this way."
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Return to “2016 Study Events”