Road Scholar B

Fanglin
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby Fanglin » February 17th, 2016, 2:29 pm

You can often tell by the size of the font, the type of "dot" marking the city/town, or sometimes the population can be found in the Index, besides the town's name. These three are the most common, and any map is probably gonna have one of those methods.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

brayden box
Division: B
State: NY

Postby brayden box » February 18th, 2016, 5:48 am

How is everyone else studying? I'm not sure where to start (as for a lot of events) anyone have any tips?
One of the best ways to study is to print or buy topographic maps and get road maps, take tests on them (test exchange), have your coach grade them and then correct your answers and do it again. Also, write your own study sheet, and use this https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... ymbols.pdf on your study sheet. It will really help with map drawing.
BBOX

Fanglin

Postby Fanglin » February 21st, 2016, 11:03 am

How is everyone else studying? I'm not sure where to start (as for a lot of events) anyone have any tips?
One of the best ways to study is to print or buy topographic maps and get road maps, take tests on them (test exchange), have your coach grade them and then correct your answers and do it again. Also, write your own study sheet, and use this https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... ymbols.pdf on your study sheet. It will really help with map drawing.
Yeah, practice tests are definitely the way to go in this event. RS is not all about memorizing information like certain other events, but it is more of an application of what you have learned. Since you can bring a whole binder to the competition, just cram it with all sorts of keys, definitions, conversions, and any other things that you can find. I have a 30 page USGS packet in my binder which explains everything, which you can find somewhere in the USGS site.

2016 Nats:

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead

Fanglin

Postby Fanglin » February 21st, 2016, 11:07 am

Another really good strategy for studying and competition, is to divide and conquer depending on your strengths and weaknesses. Since you have a partner, I would have one person do all the topo maps, and have them get really good at them, while the other person works really hard to get good at the Road map, and profile/map drawing (the road map part is usually shorter than the topo part) This is obviously better than have each person spend their studying time on all aspects of RS

2016 Nats:

Former Cheesehead

vikch
State: -

Postby vikch » March 1st, 2016, 4:03 pm

Hey I still don't understand how the PLSS part of the test could someone explain that to me?

soyuppy

Topo and UTM

Postby soyuppy » March 8th, 2016, 6:21 pm

UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) is listed as one of item to know in the rule book. Though it's mark with * suggesting that question on this should be at introductory level.

I've been too many invitation but have not seen any question/coverage on this topic. Does anyone have info? What kind of question relation to UTM can one expect?

kkenmots02
State: IL

Postby kkenmots02 » March 12th, 2016, 8:01 am

Hi guys,

One an invitational test, I was asked why a 1:24000 scale was good for maps in the 7.5 min series. Similarly, it asked why 15 minute maps use 1:15360?(I'm not sure, I think 15360) scale. I didn't know either of these and could not find them online later, do you guys know the answer? Thanks!

brayden box
State: NY

Postby brayden box » April 7th, 2016, 11:56 am

The scale for the smaller map is larger, meaning the map and all the details will be larger. The 15 minute map, which is double the size of the 7.5 map, has half the scale so they can fit more area in. this also makes everything smaller. Hope this helps!!! :D
BBOX

kkenmots02
State: IL

Postby kkenmots02 » April 7th, 2016, 2:02 pm

The scale for the smaller map is larger, meaning the map and all the details will be larger. The 15 minute map, which is double the size of the 7.5 map, has half the scale so they can fit more area in. this also makes everything smaller. Hope this helps!!! :D
Thanks! I was wondering whether it was something mathematical with the numbers being so specific, didn't know if it was something more general like that.

Sciencegeekgirl

Postby Sciencegeekgirl » May 1st, 2016, 5:44 am

The 2008 National Tournament Test (How the Grinch Aced Road Scholar) Answer Key is not on the Test Exchange.

Does anybody happen to have it?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “2016 Study Events”