Crave the Wave B

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Resource Binder for Crave the Wave B

Post by chalker »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
robounicorn25 wrote:
KS_1618 wrote:I'm doing this event at States and am currently working on my resource binder. My partner and I were wondering to exactly what extent we could put information into our binder; that is, how big can the binder be? I haven't had experience with this event before, so I'd be grateful if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.
If you really wanted to, you could take a cart full of binders, its not recommended, but you can take as much as you want
For every other binder event, you can only take one (I've never done Crave, but I don't think you'd be able to take more than one binder). You can make it as large of a cart, but you cannot have a cart full of binders
It's about time for me to to point to my picture in the image gallery of a monster size binder and STRONGLY encourage you all NOT to go overboard. You just don't have time in the competition to flip through that many pages:

http://gallery.scioly.org/displayimage. ... fullsize=1

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Person
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Resource Binder for Crave the Wave B

Post by Person »

chalker wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
robounicorn25 wrote:
If you really wanted to, you could take a cart full of binders, its not recommended, but you can take as much as you want
For every other binder event, you can only take one (I've never done Crave, but I don't think you'd be able to take more than one binder). You can make it as large of a cart, but you cannot have a cart full of binders
It's about time for me to to point to my picture in the image gallery of a monster size binder and STRONGLY encourage you all NOT to go overboard. You just don't have time in the competition to flip through that many pages:

http://gallery.scioly.org/displayimage. ... fullsize=1
How many trees died for that? :shock:
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Crave the Wave B

Post by JasperKota »

ampy1234567 wrote:"You shine a magenta flashlight in a filter, and the light hits a yoga ball. The yoga ball appears cyan. Next, you repeat the same test with the filter removed. The yoga ball appears magenta. Finally, you try the test with the filter in and out with a yellow flashlight. With the filter in, the ball appears black. Without the filter, it appears red. Find the colors of the filter and the yoga ball." (from UTF-8_U+6211_U+662F's crave test)

Could anyone explain how to solve this and similar filter problems? I tried it with physicsclassroom's approach and it doesn't seem to work...
Also, are we allowed to discuss last year's nationals test despite it being copyrighted as long as no actual problems are posted?
I'm wondering the same thing, states is coming up (really soon) and this is still bothering me xD
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Crave the Wave B

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

JasperKota wrote:
ampy1234567 wrote:"You shine a magenta flashlight in a filter, and the light hits a yoga ball. The yoga ball appears cyan. Next, you repeat the same test with the filter removed. The yoga ball appears magenta. Finally, you try the test with the filter in and out with a yellow flashlight. With the filter in, the ball appears black. Without the filter, it appears red. Find the colors of the filter and the yoga ball." (from UTF-8_U+6211_U+662F's crave test)

Could anyone explain how to solve this and similar filter problems? I tried it with physicsclassroom's approach and it doesn't seem to work...
Also, are we allowed to discuss last year's nationals test despite it being copyrighted as long as no actual problems are posted?
I'm wondering the same thing, states is coming up (really soon) and this is still bothering me xD
Well, I may have made a typo (I think the second sentence should say blue), but here's one way of solving it with the revised sentence:

1 (from the penultimate sentence): Yellow (Red and Green) shined on Yoga ball = Red, so the yoga ball has no green colors.
2 (from the third-to-last sentence): The filter doesn't let red through, so the filter has no red colors.
3 (from the fifth sentence): The yoga ball has magenta colors (Red and Blue) but not green (from #1), so the yoga ball is magenta.
4 (from the second sentence): The filter lets blue pass, so the filter can either be blue or cyan.

Conclusion: Yoga ball is magenta, filter is either blue or cyan
The test will be fixed.

Return to “2016 Study Events”