Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Crave the Wave B

Post by Adi1008 »

Unome wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
amydata123 wrote:What do you think I should put inside the binder.

Can you show me some good resources?
My partner and I had about 700? pages (it was almost 3 inches worth of paper) of just straight up wikipedia. Given how fast paced nationals was I don't think the binder is that important
Speaking of which (for binders in general) do you find sheet protectors to be useful? I tend to use them in Fossils because it helps me turn the pages, but I haven't done any other binder events before this year (well, I did Simple Machines but that doesn't really count; we used the binder ~3 times total in 2 years).
I don't think we used sheet protectors at all throughout our binder, mainly because it seemed like too much time and effort for (what I viewed as) minimal, if any gain.

However, when we did end up using our binder, some pages would get their holes ripped (from trying to turn like 500 pages at once really quickly lol), so I think that if you use your binder a lot, it could be useful to use sheet protectors on the most used pages. However, I think using them for all the pages can be expensive, time consuming, and a bit overkill.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
shs-scioly-E
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by shs-scioly-E »

Can anyone tell me where I can find resources\notes on the effects of media in wave phenomena? Don't know why I'm having so trouble finding this... :D
robounicorn25
Division: C
State: IN

Post by robounicorn25 »

I can't seem to find anything useful on breaking ocean waves? Has anyone found anything? :)
I love:
minions, Dolphin Tale Movies, Olaf, One Direction, Little mix, and 5 seconds of summer

2015: medals
1st place road scholar-regional
2016:medals
regional:
1st-road scholar
2nd-crave the wave
3rd-fossils
3rd-reach for the stars
Person

Post by Person »

This is an interactive thingy: http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/edu/learn ... waves.html
This is more of an explanation: http://www.surfing-waves.com/waves/how_waves_break.htm sorry that's it's a surfing site :lol:
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Ducksftw

Post by Ducksftw »

Hello! I'm new to this event.. any tips? :D
KS_1618
Division: B
State: NJ

Resource Binder for Crave the Wave B

Post by KS_1618 »

I'm doing this event at States and am currently working on my resource binder. My partner and I were wondering to exactly what extent we could put information into our binder; that is, how big can the binder be? I haven't had experience with this event before, so I'd be grateful if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Adi1008

Re: Resource Binder for Crave the Wave B

Post by Adi1008 »

KS_1618 wrote:I'm doing this event at States and am currently working on my resource binder. My partner and I were wondering to exactly what extent we could put information into our binder; that is, how big can the binder be? I haven't had experience with this event before, so I'd be grateful if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.
You can make it as big as you want (unless the rules have changed since I did it last year) as long as everything is in the rings and doesn't fall out when the binder is held up
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
robounicorn25
State: IN

Post by robounicorn25 »

KS_1618 wrote:I'm doing this event at States and am currently working on my resource binder. My partner and I were wondering to exactly what extent we could put information into our binder; that is, how big can the binder be? I haven't had experience with this event before, so I'd be grateful if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in advance.
If you really wanted to, you could take a cart full of binders, its not recommended, but you can take as much as you want
I love:
minions, Dolphin Tale Movies, Olaf, One Direction, Little mix, and 5 seconds of summer

2015: medals
1st place road scholar-regional
2016:medals
regional:
1st-road scholar
2nd-crave the wave
3rd-fossils
3rd-reach for the stars
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

robounicorn25 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
If you really wanted to, you could take a cart full of binders, its not recommended, but you can take as much as you want
For every other binder event, you can only take one (I've never done Crave, but I don't think you'd be able to take more than one binder). You can make it as large of a cart, but you cannot have a cart full of binders
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
ampy1234567
State: MN

Post by ampy1234567 »

"You shine a magenta flashlight in a filter, and the light hits a yoga ball. The yoga ball appears cyan. Next, you repeat the same test with the filter removed. The yoga ball appears magenta. Finally, you try the test with the filter in and out with a yellow flashlight. With the filter in, the ball appears black. Without the filter, it appears red. Find the colors of the filter and the yoga ball." (from UTF-8_U+6211_U+662F's crave test)

Could anyone explain how to solve this and similar filter problems? I tried it with physicsclassroom's approach and it doesn't seem to work...
Also, are we allowed to discuss last year's nationals test despite it being copyrighted as long as no actual problems are posted?
Mounds View High School, 10th grade

2016 Nationals: Dynamic (2), Disease (6), Crave (8), Fossils (22)
2017 Nationals: Disease (1), Dynamic (2), Optics (5)

Return to “2016 Study Events”