Astronomy C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Astronomy C

Postby syo_astro » September 27th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Is the Webinar presented by Donna during the summer coach's camp going to be uploaded this year?
I don't think the webinar was posted yet, but it should be at some point I think. It usually isn't posted right at the start of the year.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Postby Skink » September 29th, 2015, 2:58 pm

So, I ordered the orange book and one on exoplanets :roll: . It's really slow-going, but we're using the no calculus rule as our guide for what rules-relevant mathematics to be capable of performing. I haven't delved into the exoplanet book yet, though. It's really dense.

tad_k_22

Postby tad_k_22 » September 30th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Which exoplanet book did you get?
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » October 4th, 2015, 8:29 am

I picked up 'The Exoplanet Handbook'. It seems promising, as a review of the relevant literature would constitute everything that event supervisors could pull from. What I'll probably do is pass the book around with each person data mining a section at a time. I certainly can't read it myself. :x

On another note, I had a question: section 3.b. has something about rotational motion. Is that as-found in any high school physics text, or is there rotational motion as-applied to celestial objects? The science is the same, as I understand, but having astronomy-specific examples and questions helps. I looked in the index of Carroll and Ostlie and didn't find a dedicated section, thus suggesting that this is lower-level material.

violafromspace113
State: TX

Postby violafromspace113 » October 6th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Hey, I'm new to scioly and I'm not sure how to study for this event. Any recommended ways to do so?

Positron

Postby Positron » October 11th, 2015, 7:04 pm

I need a bit of help.

I need to figure out the specs for 2MASSJ222889-431026. I couldn't get anything when I typed it in on google. Am I typing it wrong or is it spelled incorrectly in the first place?

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » October 11th, 2015, 7:11 pm

I need a bit of help.

I need to figure out the specs for 2MASSJ222889-431026. I couldn't get anything when I typed it in on google. Am I typing it wrong or is it spelled incorrectly in the first place?

DSOs are hard to find, even on the internet, although normally there is some information somewhere. However, I couldn't find anything with this one. You could try submitting a rules clarification to the soinc website; but if you can't find anything, there's a good chance test writers can't either (at least at regionals- state and nats tests might have it).
Last edited by Magikarpmaster629 on October 11th, 2015, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Adi1008
State: TX

Postby Adi1008 » October 11th, 2015, 7:11 pm

I think it's supposed to be 2MASSJ22282889-431026. You're missing an "82" in the middle. When I search this, I get plenty of results.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Positron

Postby Positron » October 15th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Thank you :D

I think I have it now.

asdfqwerzzz2

Postby asdfqwerzzz2 » October 15th, 2015, 10:19 pm

I noticed a change from this year's rules from last years that I think has gone relatively unnoticed. At the bottom of the rules it states that the event is sponsored by NASA Astrophysics Division opposed to last year which stated the event was sponsored by Chandra. However, they still list Chandra, AAVSO, and APOD as recommended resources. Have the sponsors actually changed? Or do they just list a single sponsor every year? Hopefully they didn't actually have a sponsor change, as that may affect the national test format.

Return to “2016 Study Events”