Astronomy C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Astronomy C

Postby syo_astro » October 16th, 2015, 8:08 am

I noticed a change from this year's rules from last years that I think has gone relatively unnoticed. At the bottom of the rules it states that the event is sponsored by NASA Astrophysics Division opposed to last year which stated the event was sponsored by Chandra. However, they still list Chandra, AAVSO, and APOD as recommended resources. Have the sponsors actually changed? Or do they just list a single sponsor every year? Hopefully they didn't actually have a sponsor change, as that may affect the national test format.
I don't know if it's a sponsor change or wording change, but I do believe the main two people that write nats astro will still write it. If it did manage to change, it would probably be to some past competitors that have helped write for it before (there have been various). Basically, I would not worry too much.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » October 17th, 2015, 4:17 pm

I noticed a change from this year's rules from last years that I think has gone relatively unnoticed. At the bottom of the rules it states that the event is sponsored by NASA Astrophysics Division opposed to last year which stated the event was sponsored by Chandra. However, they still list Chandra, AAVSO, and APOD as recommended resources. Have the sponsors actually changed? Or do they just list a single sponsor every year? Hopefully they didn't actually have a sponsor change, as that may affect the national test format.
I don't know if it's a sponsor change or wording change, but I do believe the main two people that write nats astro will still write it. If it did manage to change, it would probably be to some past competitors that have helped write for it before (there have been various). Basically, I would not worry too much.
It is just an internal restructuring among Chandra/NASA. Donna Young, the Astro NES, headed up education at Chandra. That group has moved to NASA.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

asdfqwerzzz2
Division: C

Postby asdfqwerzzz2 » October 17th, 2015, 9:53 pm

It is just an internal restructuring among Chandra/NASA. Donna Young, the Astro NES, headed up education at Chandra. That group has moved to NASA.
So will this have no obvious changes to the astronomy event? I mentioned this previously in the thread, but will resources still be posted to the AAVSO/Chandra websites such as the webinars/sample regional tests?

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » October 18th, 2015, 8:07 am

So will this have no obvious changes to the astronomy event? I mentioned this previously in the thread, but will resources still be posted to the AAVSO/Chandra websites such as the webinars/sample regional tests?
Like I said, it really shouldn't. You should also check the soinc.org page, as they update that sometimes too with such related material for people that don't directly know about the other sites. If they don't do AAVSO/Chandra, I'm sure there'll be a post here, and a note about it on the soinc.org Astro page.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy

raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby raxu » October 24th, 2015, 12:12 pm

I ordered Exoplanets from Sara Seager, and it's a little over the level of high school science olympiad. I think I'll rely on other sources now.
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby syo_astro » October 24th, 2015, 1:34 pm

I ordered Exoplanets from Sara Seager, and it's a little over the level of high school science olympiad. I think I'll rely on other sources now.
Heh, I actually met her...fun times getting neat guest speakers. But yeah, I believe the textbook discussion has been explained a bit at least for this year's topic (summary: they can be eh because of how modern the topic is). I'd imagine from her talk and how she's relatively well-known probably the textbook is pretty good, but I don't have it/haven't read into exoplanet textbooks. But as said before, there are multiple sources online that should keep you covered for sure. And if you have trouble with, say, planetary equilibrium temperature, we can all try rederiving that and explaining it again like last year...

raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby raxu » October 31st, 2015, 8:51 am

Where can I find specific information about the 17 DSO? Although I've been in this event once I really don't know where to find good information about them.
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 31st, 2015, 10:26 am

Where can I find specific information about the 17 DSO? Although I've been in this event once I really don't know where to find good information about them.
I've just been using the internet, which generally works alright for me, but I'm new to this event this year.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Adi1008
State: TX

Postby Adi1008 » October 31st, 2015, 11:33 am

I've just been using the internet, which generally works alright for me, but I'm new to this event this year.
^^same here
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » November 2nd, 2015, 5:31 pm

The [wiki]Astronomy/DSOs[/wiki] page has the locations of the objects completely different from what I've found; is it okay if I change them?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “2016 Study Events”