Astronomy C

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Re: Astronomy C

Postby lumosityfan » November 17th, 2015, 9:56 pm

I used a laptop for studying for Astronomy, and what I would do is I would make folders for each aspect of Astronomy that I needed to study (for instance, Deep Sky Objects, Stellar Evolution, Variable Stars, Exoplanets, Distance Calculations, Various mathematical calculations, H-R Diagram, etc.) Then, I put the resources in the appropriate folders. I agree with AlphaTauri that you should make sure whatever resource you're using is organized. It will make your life a whole lot easier when you're trying to find out what the absolute magnitude of T-Tauri is while answering a question on exoplanet mass calculations. It will make test-taking so much more streamlined and allow you time to think.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)

hqearth

Postby hqearth » November 20th, 2015, 5:30 pm

How do you access the powerpoint that Donna was talking about on the aavso website? Is it the same powerpoint as the one form 2015, or is there a new 2016 one? :?:

doge
Division: C
State: DC

Postby doge » November 21st, 2015, 3:29 pm

Considering the topics for this year are the same as last year and the AAVSO website for SciOly hasn't been updated since July, it probably is the 2015 one? I don't see a powerpoint on the Chandra website either.

hqearth

Postby hqearth » November 23rd, 2015, 2:53 pm

Considering the topics for this year are the same as last year and the AAVSO website for SciOly hasn't been updated since July, it probably is the 2015 one? I don't see a powerpoint on the Chandra website either.
Thanks!!

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby lumosityfan » November 23rd, 2015, 4:55 pm

Here is the Chandra 2016 webinar, btw:
http://www.chandra.harvard.edu/edu/olympiad.html
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » November 25th, 2015, 3:46 pm

I haven't been able to find many good explanations for the calculation of an exoplanet's surface temperature. I have found and a few others, often including the radius of the planet. Can someone post a link or an explanation of how to solve these problems?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

breakingankles

Postby breakingankles » November 25th, 2015, 3:51 pm

I haven't been able to find many good explanations for the calculation of an exoplanet's surface temperature. I have found and a few others, often including the radius of the planet. Can someone post a link or an explanation of how to solve these problems?
I'd appreciate it too if somebody could post something

Adi1008

Postby Adi1008 » November 25th, 2015, 3:55 pm

I'd appreciate it too if somebody could post something
https://somewhatoverwhelmed.wordpress.c ... mperature/

Forgive me for linking to something I wrote myself, but I think it explains it well. Hope this helps.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » November 25th, 2015, 5:09 pm

Hm, that post makes me wonder if you wouldn't mind updating the onward to the edge blog if you're gonna end up making astro posts anyway...

Some comments on your notation. Most astronomers simply say "F" of some sort rather than "energy flux", E_f. E_f might be a bit confusing if you've ever done conservation of energy in physics or various other instances (it can get confusing when you speak in flux density...I don't want to get into it'd probably be confusing). Physicists also use "I" for intensity, though I personally like to think of that as current. Just a bit of (semi-important) semantics! Thankful the astro peoples on this website still exist :).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

sciolymom
State: CO

Postby sciolymom » December 16th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Referring to the Chandra videos for this year:
There is usually a powerpoint that goes with the videos. Has anyone seen that for this year?

The audio seems very poor to me, I'm having a hard time understanding what she is saying. :?
Mom/Event Coach

Return to “2016 Study Events”