Geologic Mapping C

Atomicbob11
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by Atomicbob11 »

Unome wrote:For making a binder for this event, are sheet protectors useful, or will they just take up space? I used sheet protectors in Fossils, but I don't know whether tests in this event will require as much speed as in Fossils.
When I took the GeoMapping in its first year, we didn't use sheet protectors, as they only slowed us down, but that's our opinion. Both partners ever needed the binder, it was easier for us to just rip out the page than have to open and close the rings over and over. We also had a huge binder with a TON of information and past tests, so opening the rings was just a pain.

Also, when I write tests (I've written a lot for PA), they are always quite long. Usually long enough that if BOTH partners know what they're doing, they'll finish. This helps really separate the top from the bottom. As someone who took the event, it always helps to assume the test is this long, so you want to utilize your time, and binder use, the best of your ability to ensure you can get as much done to the best quality.

Just my two cents.
Hard Work may pay off in the long run, but Laziness pays off now.
Therefore, Studying for SciOly is the best type of Procrastination.
Atomicbob11
State: PA

Post by Atomicbob11 »

aherthabey wrote:
kenniky wrote:Has anyone had to use the compass yet?
I've been to two invitationals, and neither had me use the compass. Would we have to be provided with an actual outcrop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXhooadhZw

[EDIT] Really, what questions would we have to use a compass for?
Not hating on a majority of the test makers, but often, GeoMapping test makers are not experts in geology, and therefore know how to use the compass. This obviously varies.

I have yet to see an invitational test with a compass, as it is new this year. However, I bet that at a regional or state level, you may need it, as test makers are normally more proficient in the area (again, not always true). If I were testing you, I would bring in a rock, and have you measure the attitude as it sits on a table for example. However, you could also do this on anything that is slanted, like a piece of wood, binder at an angle, etc.

In my opinion, I don't think the addition of a geologic compass was necessary for the event. I completely understand why they would do this, but GeoMapping has such a wide range of knowledge that needs to be known for the event, that adding a technical skill like this just adds to it. Also, as someone who is currently majoring in geoscience, ive never used one. There is an App for that.

However, it really isn't hard to learn how to use it. Youtube is your friend.
Hard Work may pay off in the long run, but Laziness pays off now.
Therefore, Studying for SciOly is the best type of Procrastination.
aherthabey
State: MN

Post by aherthabey »

Atomicbob11 wrote:
aherthabey wrote:
kenniky wrote:Has anyone had to use the compass yet?
I've been to two invitationals, and neither had me use the compass. Would we have to be provided with an actual outcrop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXhooadhZw

[EDIT] Really, what questions would we have to use a compass for?
Not hating on a majority of the test makers, but often, GeoMapping test makers are not experts in geology, and therefore know how to use the compass. This obviously varies.

I have yet to see an invitational test with a compass, as it is new this year. However, I bet that at a regional or state level, you may need it, as test makers are normally more proficient in the area (again, not always true). If I were testing you, I would bring in a rock, and have you measure the attitude as it sits on a table for example. However, you could also do this on anything that is slanted, like a piece of wood, binder at an angle, etc.

In my opinion, I don't think the addition of a geologic compass was necessary for the event. I completely understand why they would do this, but GeoMapping has such a wide range of knowledge that needs to be known for the event, that adding a technical skill like this just adds to it. Also, as someone who is currently majoring in geoscience, ive never used one. There is an App for that.

However, it really isn't hard to learn how to use it. Youtube is your friend.
Thanks for the informative response! I actually found a guide to using the compass from the 2014 Coaches' Clinic (it's on the soinc.org website). Starting p. 53 (warning—link prompts download). https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... ressed.pdf
Wayzata High School Science Olympiad 2013-2016
bearasmith
Division: C
State: MD

Post by bearasmith »

pikachu4919 wrote:
depo1213 wrote:Does anyone know what map is going to be used for regionals and where to obtain them or examples of them.
First of all, map types aren't specific to specific levels of competition—the same kinds of maps can be used at any level.

One is a topographic map, which shows the elevations and contours of the land from a bird's eye view.

example:

Another is a geologic map (heh heh what this event's named for), which usually shows the patterns of rock formations under the surface.

example:

And then there are other maps too that they could give you that are specific to the types of questions they'll ask, but these are the two main types of maps you would need to know. I mean, most maps are just variations derived from these two kinds of maps.
Hi, I'm wondering what the random letters and numbers are on the geologic map. (e.g. Of3, Qt3, Pc, and Pk) Is there supposed to be some sort of a key for the map that explains what the numbers mean?

Thanks,
Bearasmith
Medal Count: 52
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bearasmith wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
depo1213 wrote:Does anyone know what map is going to be used for regionals and where to obtain them or examples of them.
First of all, map types aren't specific to specific levels of competition—the same kinds of maps can be used at any level.

One is a topographic map, which shows the elevations and contours of the land from a bird's eye view.

example:

Another is a geologic map (heh heh what this event's named for), which usually shows the patterns of rock formations under the surface.

example:

And then there are other maps too that they could give you that are specific to the types of questions they'll ask, but these are the two main types of maps you would need to know. I mean, most maps are just variations derived from these two kinds of maps.
Hi, I'm wondering what the random letters and numbers are on the geologic map. (e.g. Of3, Qt3, Pc, and Pk) Is there supposed to be some sort of a key for the map that explains what the numbers mean?

Thanks,
Bearasmith
Generally there is a key (take a look at some of the tests on the test exchange). These label different rock strata; the first letter denotes the geologic period (e.g. Pc and Pk would be Permian) and the rest distinguish between different types of rocks and such (this is why the key is there, because there can be a lot of layers on some maps; for example, the map for the MIT test had at least a hundred layers).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
yinsanity
Division: C
State: MN

Post by yinsanity »

There is a rumor, according to my state proctor, that geo mapping will be scrapped next year and replaced. is this true?
EarthScience347
State: IL

Post by EarthScience347 »

yinsanity wrote:There is a rumor, according to my state proctor, that geo mapping will be scrapped next year and replaced. is this true?
Yes. GeoMapping appears to be on a three year rotation with Remote Sensing.
MIT SciOly Planning Committee
MIT Chemistry & Geology '21
Hinsdale Central HS (IL) '17

Past Events:
Rocks & Minerals, Fossils, Dynamic, GeoMapping, ChemLab, ExpD
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

yinsanity wrote:There is a rumor, according to my state proctor, that geo mapping will be scrapped next year and replaced. is this true?
If you look in General Chat (I think that's where it is) there's a thread about next year's events where John Richardsim created a tentative list based on what's been posted on soinc.org for the Summer Institute schedule (which means it's more than just a rumor).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2016 Study Events”