Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

lavendercats814 wrote:Hello! I'm new to this event this year, and I was wondering what the rules mean by "geological principles"? Thanks!
Geologic principles refers to Steno's four laws that are used to determine the ages of strata in a geologic cross section, as well as several other laws in geology that seem to be less important. This site http://www.cas.miamioh.edu/limpermuseum ... etime.html explains them well.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
depo1213
Been thanked: 0

Post by depo1213 »

Does anyone know what map is going to be used for regionals and where to obtain them or examples of them.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

depo1213 wrote:Does anyone know what map is going to be used for regionals and where to obtain them or examples of them.
First of all, map types aren't specific to specific levels of competition—the same kinds of maps can be used at any level.

One is a topographic map, which shows the elevations and contours of the land from a bird's eye view.

example:

Another is a geologic map (heh heh what this event's named for), which usually shows the patterns of rock formations under the surface.

example:

And then there are other maps too that they could give you that are specific to the types of questions they'll ask, but these are the two main types of maps you would need to know. I mean, most maps are just variations derived from these two kinds of maps.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
baseo1234

Post by baseo1234 »

Does any one have any good websites, for extraneous geological features?
Does anyone have any guidelines in performing this event, I have taken Earth Science in the past, but it is my first time doing science Olympiad.
InfiniCuber
Division: C

Post by InfiniCuber »

baseo1234 wrote:Does any one have any good websites, for extraneous geological features?
Does anyone have any guidelines in performing this event, I have taken Earth Science in the past, but it is my first time doing science Olympiad.
What exactly do you mean by "extraneous geological features"?
As far as "guidelines", I started off by just searching all the topics one by one that are given in the rules, then going in depth with each one.
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
JT016
State: NY

Post by JT016 »

http://rniccage.com/geology/3_point_problem/

Can someone help me out with this problem? I understand most of it (I think) except the last part. How do we know when to make orange marks? I see that we make the mark at the 1st strike's(from the left) intersections points at 600m elevation. But why not when the 3rd intersects the 400m elevation?

EDIT: I was reading the map wrong. Im stupid :|
Rob101101
State: NY

Post by Rob101101 »

Can someone explain this problem to me? It hits me like a truck full of unknown terminology... I imagine you would want to use a stereonet because it has something to do with cardinal degrees, but I'm not sure where one would get (or make) tracing paper and stereonet prints.

A sandstone bed strikes 067° and dips 21° SE. In the bedding plane, it is observed that
there are slickensides pitching at 58 degrees east. What is the trend and plunge of the
slickensides? (Give trend as an azimuth. No Cardinal Direction needed for plundge.)
pikachu4919
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Rob101101 wrote:Can someone explain this problem to me? It hits me like a truck full of unknown terminology... I imagine you would want to use a stereonet because it has something to do with cardinal degrees, but I'm not sure where one would get (or make) tracing paper and stereonet prints.

A sandstone bed strikes 067° and dips 21° SE. In the bedding plane, it is observed that
there are slickensides pitching at 58 degrees east. What is the trend and plunge of the
slickensides? (Give trend as an azimuth. No Cardinal Direction needed for plundge.)
Yep, it's a stereonet problem (trust me, I'm not fond of them either), but in terms of getting the stereonet, usually I just print one off the Internet and use regular tracing paper and a pin because you place the tracing paper on top of the stereonet and rotate it around the center (where you use a pin to secure that) to plot the points and planes needed.

And with the terminology, I think it's best to think of it three-dimensionally instead of as vocabulary terms:

The first picture does show the strike as the line on the plane, but it would actually be 30 since the strike in terms of this picture would be the angle between that double-arrowheaded line and north, sort of like measuring a bearing.

An azimuth is basically the angle between north and a contour, kind of like this except think of the altitude dipping down instead of up (as you would be measuring for a slope downhill instead of a star up in the sky). In fact, the strike is basically an azimuth measurement, especially when doing the three-point problem.

Slickensides are geological features that are basically smooth surfaces caused by movement of faults applying pressure to each other, kind of the effect of sandpaper on wood (except neither of the two layers rubbing against each other would be as thin as sandpaper). Do not confuse these with slickenlines, which are grooves in the surface carved out by fault movement.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

For making a binder for this event, are sheet protectors useful, or will they just take up space? I used sheet protectors in Fossils, but I don't know whether tests in this event will require as much speed as in Fossils.
Userpage

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Unome wrote:For making a binder for this event, are sheet protectors useful, or will they just take up space? I used sheet protectors in Fossils, but I don't know whether tests in this event will require as much speed as in Fossils.
Tests are normally really long, so they could be useful; but unlike Fossils, binders aren't super important. Of course, know what you can about the event, but sheet protectors vs. not will have little effect in the end.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “2016 Study Events”