Geologic Mapping C

liberalartslover
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by liberalartslover »

I would think with a cross section you would be able to see the offset strata layers in the dip/slip fault but with just a top view there wouldn't be a difference.
yasmine7123

Post by yasmine7123 »

So I've done science Olympiad as a middle schooler and now that I'm in highschool my friends have started a SCIOLY team there so we are all new to this and as treasure of the team my job is to get the supplies and I was looking at the geologic compasses and saw that they were a bit pricey and we're pretty tight on money so I was wondering if you guys could send me links to geologic compasses that you guys use for these events that are good but still somewhat cheap. Also do you guys actually use the geologic compass or would it be ok to just use a regular one?
yasmine7123

Post by yasmine7123 »

So my friends and I have just started a SCIOLY team at our highschool and I'm in charge of getting supplies so I was wondering if you guys could give me links to good geologic compasses that are somewhat not expensive. Also do you guys actually use the geologic compass or would it be ok to use a normal one?
liberalartslover
Division: C
State: CA

Post by liberalartslover »

We borrowed one from somebody, a friend of the team works for the USGS so that was convenient. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the geologic compass as I've never actually used it in competition.
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

yasmine7123 wrote:So my friends and I have just started a SCIOLY team at our highschool and I'm in charge of getting supplies so I was wondering if you guys could give me links to good geologic compasses that are somewhat not expensive. Also do you guys actually use the geologic compass or would it be ok to use a normal one?
Geologic compasses are new to Geologic Mapping this year, and they are not very different from normal compasses; buying an expensive one would not be worth it. I'd say get a basic compass that is accurate, or use one that you have.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
yasmine7123 wrote:So my friends and I have just started a SCIOLY team at our highschool and I'm in charge of getting supplies so I was wondering if you guys could give me links to good geologic compasses that are somewhat not expensive. Also do you guys actually use the geologic compass or would it be ok to use a normal one?
Geologic compasses are new to Geologic Mapping this year, and they are not very different from normal compasses; buying an expensive one would not be worth it. I'd say get a basic compass that is accurate, or use one that you have.
"normal compass" =

or

Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

pikachu4919 wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
"normal compass" =

or

The second one.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Oh OK. Then I'd probably also watch out for quality when buying those because some of those types of compasses out there on the market are probably super cheap but dysfunctional (I've seen them, they're horrible). By no means do I mean that you should spend a lot of money on a compass, but don't buy one that malfunctions and wastes your money. But having done this event for two years without one, I'm not exactly sure what you'd need to use it for. I mean, to point out which way north is makes sense, but maps usually indicate that on a compass rose drawn on the map...I think. :?
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

pikachu4919 wrote:Oh OK. Then I'd probably also watch out for quality when buying those because some of those types of compasses out there on the market are probably super cheap but dysfunctional (I've seen them, they're horrible). By no means do I mean that you should spend a lot of money on a compass, but don't buy one that malfunctions and wastes your money. But having done this event for two years without one, I'm not exactly sure what you'd need to use it for. I mean, to point out which way north is makes sense, but maps usually indicate that on a compass rose drawn on the map...I think. :?
Well, sometimes you can get sections of maps (happened to me when I competed). I did mention some other reasons on the first page relating to structural orientation as well. I think there might be some other explanations/links on the Geomaps topic last year or somewhere, but I can't remember.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
lavendercats814

Post by lavendercats814 »

Hello! I'm new to this event this year, and I was wondering what the rules mean by "geological principles"? Thanks!

Return to “2016 Study Events”