Bridge Building 2016

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bridge Building 2016

Post by retired1 »

Also remember that all bridges will deflect to some degree when loaded and the bridge can not contact the clear span area when it deflects.
doge
Division: C
State: DC

Post by doge »

Will it count as a violation/disqualification if the loading block happens to slide down and away from the centerline somehow (not sure if this would actually happen, just speculating..)?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

doge wrote:Will it count as a violation/disqualification if the loading block happens to slide down and away from the centerline somehow (not sure if this would actually happen, just speculating..)?
5.b.iv. involves direct placement of the Loading Block by team members, so it would be alright by that rule. But if the Loading Block slides far enough, the chain would rest on the edge of the 20.0 cm x 20.0 cm opening, which counts as failure by rule 5.b.viii.. As always, this isn't the place for official clarifications/FAQs; official FAQs open Oct. 1 and can be submitted through the national website.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
JimY
State: IN

Post by JimY »

My advice is to NOT have the loading block at an angle (horizontal only). Our team will be pursuing designs that look like an elevated bridge (from several seasons ago) on the left end and a flat bridge like last season on the right end.

The 5 cm test support may prove to be very interesting to in another way too. The bottom of the bridge is always under tension and therefore stretches a bit. If the end opposite the test support stays stationary, the end on the test support may not slide on the test support itself, but rather cause the test support to start leaning on one of the 5 cm long edges. The question is will it ever lean enough to cause premature failure. So, once teams start building and testing, please give some feedback on what you see regarding the test support during loading.
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

JimY wrote:My advice is to NOT have the loading block at an angle (horizontal only). Our team will be pursuing designs that look like an elevated bridge (from several seasons ago) on the left end and a flat bridge like last season on the right end.
Be careful if you are making the side opposite of the 5cm test support elevated. The other side CANNOT be over 2cm within the bearing zone. I think that rule was specifically made so that teams could not, or would have a lot of trouble making one side of their bridge elevated.
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

DoctaDave wrote:
JimY wrote:My advice is to NOT have the loading block at an angle (horizontal only). Our team will be pursuing designs that look like an elevated bridge (from several seasons ago) on the left end and a flat bridge like last season on the right end.
Be careful if you are making the side opposite of the 5cm test support elevated. The other side CANNOT be over 2cm within the bearing zone. I think that rule was specifically made so that teams could not, or would have a lot of trouble making one side of their bridge elevated.

Agreed- this rule REALLY changes the dynamic of the event and I applaud the rules committee for this idea!
rpaul48
Division: B
State: MO

Post by rpaul48 »

I tested my first bridge this past weekend and I got a score of around 960. My bridge weighed 5.96 grams. I'm not quite sure how this year's scores will compare to last years(my high score~2300), but I did get a similar score for my first bridges last year.
Ladue Middle School Science Olympiad

2015 Events: Wheeled Vehicle/ Bridge Building/ Air Trajectory/ Bottle Rockets
Regionals 2015: 1, 1, 2, 2
State 2015: 2, 2, 5, 5
Nationals 2015: 1, 32, 37, 17
JimY
State: IN

Post by JimY »

DoctaDave wrote:Be careful if you are making the side opposite of the 5cm test support elevated. The other side CANNOT be over 2cm within the bearing zone. I think that rule was specifically made so that teams could not, or would have a lot of trouble making one side of their bridge elevated.

We came off the surface at angles with elevated bridge, and the angles depended on height min and max as well as the width of the block that had to slide under the bridge without touching it. Think a narrow V, but angled inward at each end. The designs we are working on this time have the inward-pointing narrow V on one end only. The upper segment of the V will generally be about 50 degrees from horizontal or less.
alexx123

Post by alexx123 »

I am new to this event, can someone explain to me the dimensions of the bridge that is supposed to be built for division C?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

alexx123 wrote:I am new to this event, can someone explain to me the dimensions of the bridge that is supposed to be built for division C?
Bridge spans a 45.0 cm opening for Division C. No requirements for width or height except in the bearing zone without the Test Support the bridge must be not taller than 2.0 cm. One side has a Test Support with dimensions of the loading block. Be sure to read the official rules as I may have missed something.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”