Bridge Building 2016

NamG
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bridge Building 2016

Post by NamG »

I'm pretty sure the time limit used to be 15 minutes once upon a time.

I used to bring a nice big scoop with a big handle and offer it to the ES beforehand to let all teams use it. As long as it was available to everyone it was fair, and often the ES would allow it. This helped avoid situations where the loading cup provided was more of a hindrance. It does seem that there are more and more autoloaders these days so maybe it is less of an issue. I do think that shortening the time will be in everyone's benefit as long as they realize how quickly they need to load the sand. I was always a fan of loading as quickly as possible.
SciOly OldHat
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

HarrisDaud wrote:I was wondering how will the bridge be stable while its at an angle. Won't loading block favor one side and then it will all collapse.
That is exactly the intent of the competition this year... Every year, they try to throw something a little different into the mix... We have seen 3 separate loading points (the one being used was not announced until the start of competition), we have seen where they tier down for not carrying the full load, and if you go way back, we have even seen where a road bed was required to transport a matchbox or hot wheels car from one end of the bridge to the other, while one end was bearing on the loading block. (You got 3 tries to get it across the bridge.)

This keeps the event fresh and new for all, and continues to challenge even the teams that were able to master last year's challenges.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
The_Engineer

Post by The_Engineer »

I need help. I just got the rule sheet for bridge building and i'm really confused. Could someone maybe draw a diagram of the testing apparatus?
Unome

Post by Unome »

The_Engineer wrote:I need help. I just got the rule sheet for bridge building and i'm really confused. Could someone maybe draw a diagram of the testing apparatus?
I believe there's a diagram somewhere on either this thread or one of the others from this year (although I understand your confusion; when I first read the rules, I had no idea what they were saying for the testing setup).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
The_Engineer

Post by The_Engineer »

Unome wrote:
The_Engineer wrote:I need help. I just got the rule sheet for bridge building and i'm really confused. Could someone maybe draw a diagram of the testing apparatus?
I believe there's a diagram somewhere on either this thread or one of the others from this year (although I understand your confusion; when I first read the rules, I had no idea what they were saying for the testing setup).
I know. It was a lot different from last year. I made a rough sketch as well and i think that im getting but i'm not so sure.
reed303

Post by reed303 »

Try this post from last year at http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6167

Scroll down to the post of Dec 24 2014 for a drawing of the typical Test Stand. Some dimensions may be slightly different for this year, and the Test Supports shown will not be used. A block the same as the Loading Block will be used as the 1 Test Support for the angled bridge.

Some events just place 2 table tops spaced apart to create the same setup.
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
embokim
Division: C
State: NY

Post by embokim »

anyone know a good place to get or make the test support. thanks
Happy to be here
reed303

Post by reed303 »

embokim wrote:anyone know a good place to get or make the test support. thanks
if you mean the whole table, look here

http://www.pitsco.com/Structure_Testing_Device
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

reed303 wrote:
embokim wrote:anyone know a good place to get or make the test support. thanks
if you mean the whole table, look here

http://www.pitsco.com/Structure_Testing_Device
Just to be sure, since sometimes students/parents/coaches think this: as a competitor/parent/coach, you do not need to buy or make a test setup that meets the specifications in the rules. As a competitor, if you want to test your bridge at home/school, you can pull two tables of same height together so they have a gap that allows your bridge to span the span allowed by the rules. On one side you'll want a 2.0 cm x 5.0 cm x 5.0 cm block for the Test Support (3.a. and 4.b.). If you don't have one already or don't want to make one, buying one might be easier, and the website the previous user listed sells them: http://www.pitsco.com/Precision_Test_Block_Boomilever. You'll also want another 2.0 cm x 5.0 cm x 5.0 cm block for the Loading Block (4.c.), an eyebolt for that Loading Block, a bucket, some chains to attach the bucket to the eyebolt, and lots of sand/rice/grain.
Last edited by bernard on November 9th, 2015, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thanks to laidlawe18 for pointing out a typo on Loading Block dimensions!
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
NamG

Post by NamG »

To add to what Bernard said, you can make a nice loading block from 1" plywood without buying one from Pitsco if you know someone with scrap wood.

The one from Pitsco is nice, I have it. But you don't need to buy one.
SciOly OldHat

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”