Scores

Entomology
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scores

Post by Entomology »

brayden box wrote:I tried a K-truss before. It is an awesome design, my bridge held 37 POUNDS and wasn't even BOWING!!!!! The only thing is, they are pretty heavy. Mine weighed 42.5 g.

Did you use balsa, or bass? 42.5 grams is pretty heavy for a k-truss bridge. Mine was around 7 grams.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

brayden box wrote:I tried a K-truss before. It is an awesome design, my bridge held 37 POUNDS and wasn't even BOWING!!!!! The only thing is, they are pretty heavy. Mine weighed 42.5 g.
Paraphrasing someone from a previous year's thread (I don't remember who), the ideal bridge is one in which all members simultaneously collapse at 15kg. Your bridge has a lot of dead weight.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Unome wrote:
Paraphrasing someone from a previous year's thread (I don't remember who), the ideal bridge is one in which all members simultaneously collapse at 15kg. Your bridge has a lot of dead weight.
Also keep in mind what type of efficiency you want. The maximum efficiency a ~40g bridge can have is around 300. Do you want an efficiency of 1000? Then the most your bridge can weigh is 15000/1000 or 15 grams.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
brayden box
Division: B
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by brayden box »

Yeah, my score was really low on that one. It was my first bridge i had ever built, i built it two years ago. It was out of bass.
BBOX
brayden box
State: NY

Post by brayden box »

Also, i made it way too big. It was about 3 inches longer than the minimum length. :lol:
BBOX
Unome

Post by Unome »

brayden box wrote:It was my first bridge i had ever built, i built it two years ago.
That explains the score, then...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Unome wrote:
brayden box wrote:It was my first bridge i had ever built, i built it two years ago.
That explains the score, then...
Still impressive for a first. My first balsa builds, back when the event was Boomilever, were stuck at efficiencies of 200-300, anything above 500 was pure luck and wasn't going to happen again. For future bridges, try to lower weight. You might realize bass isn't necessary since even if it is stiff, it adds a lot of weight. And as someone said earlier you don't want a too strong bridge that never breaks. You do want it to break at around 15kgs, otherwise you have excess support that doesn't need to be there, possible weight saved.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
NamG

Post by NamG »

Well I built a bridge just for fun, I am intrigued by the rules this year.

Weight: 5.45g
Load: 4.73kg
Score: 868

Not very impressive, but I was trying out a lot of new things. It is the first SO bridge for me in about 5 years.
SciOly OldHat
20arana

Post by 20arana »

I made a bridge that weighed 5.6 grams and held 11.6 kg with a efficiency of 2071
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

20arana wrote:I made a bridge that weighed 5.6 grams and held 11.6 kg with a efficiency of 2071
Great work! Which division are you competing in?

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”