Proctoring

dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Proctoring

Post by dholdgreve »

nxtscholar wrote:I will be proctoring this event at a regional tournament in NJ.

I had a question with regards to accuracy of measurement since I don't recall it specifically stated in the rules. What is the maximum acceptable margin of error on the PARTICIPANT'S end? What I mean by this is, for example, rule 3a states the bridge can be "no higher than 2 cm" perpendicular to the test base in that bearing zone.

I intend to use a caliper and if it reads 2.005 cm for instance, is that grounds to tier a team based on strict interpretation? Most teams don't use calipers and thus are more prone to (acceptable, imho) measurement errors...
I plan on building a very simple jig that runs parallel with the low end bearing zone, elevated exactly 2 CM... Contestants must place their bridge so that the low end is positioned on the testing platform. If this cannot be done because it hits the 2 CM high jig, then the bridge does not meet the construction standards and cannot be tested.

The jig will be constructed using a 3/4" piece of wood, shimmed at both ends with pieces of wood planed to .78" , then either clamped of screwed to the testing table. The opening between the 2 shims will be 20 CM to match the opening in the test support.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
laneyoung
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by laneyoung »

dholdgreve wrote: * Handle the crowd... I personally do not allow others to take pictures of bridges that do not belong to their team... I print up posters and place in conspicuous areas... Still, there are those that try, and occasionally it may even become confrontational, but stand your ground.
I agree with handling the crowd as an important ES duty. However, different states have different cultures around picture taking. In IL, for instance, all of the competitions (regionals, invites and states) I've been to allow general picture taking (argument being that learning from and building off of others is part of the scientific process) and so the confrontations come from those who don't want pictures taken of their teams.
nxtscholar wrote:I had a question with regards to accuracy of measurement since I don't recall it specifically stated in the rules. What is the maximum acceptable margin of error on the PARTICIPANT'S end? What I mean by this is, for example, rule 3a states the bridge can be "no higher than 2 cm" perpendicular to the test base in that bearing zone.
The maximum acceptable margin of error on the participants end is whatever the judge decides it is. When running an event (or advising teams or ES) I go with the amount listed as a maximum so anything above 2.0 cm is in trouble. Now at an invite I'm going to take a very different philosophy than at a regional or state level and would probably not even dock a team that's at 2.005, but I would definitely talk to them about how this is a place where it's better to be safe than sorry. If a team decides to push the limits they run the risk of it coming back to bite them.
Illinois Arbitrator
Illinois Elementary Science Olympiad Committee
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

laneyoung wrote:
dholdgreve wrote: * Handle the crowd... I personally do not allow others to take pictures of bridges that do not belong to their team... I print up posters and place in conspicuous areas... Still, there are those that try, and occasionally it may even become confrontational, but stand your ground.
I agree with handling the crowd as an important ES duty. However, different states have different cultures around picture taking. In IL, for instance, all of the competitions (regionals, invites and states) I've been to allow general picture taking (argument being that learning from and building off of others is part of the scientific process) and so the confrontations come from those who don't want pictures taken of their teams.
Just wanted to chime in on my personal opinion (as well as how I've seen this handled at Nationals many times). Keep in mind that tournament directors classify events into 2 possible categories: open to the public and closed to the public. There is usually a lot of consistency from tournament to tournament as to which are open to the public, but no specific requirement / mandate in the rules. By making an event open to the public, it's an opportunity to engage parents, siblings, and other team members in this wonderful thing we call Science Olympiad. And as such, in today's modern social media crazed society, we should ENCOURAGE publicity, since anyone can be an author / journalist Which means we should be supportive of picture and video taking.

The visible, physical appearance of a device (be it a bridge, electric vehicle, or air trajectory device), is usually only a minor contributor to the success of that device. There are so many other factors that weigh far more heavily into the capability (such as glue type, wood density, grain orientation, water content, etc. etc.). There is always room for improvement in any device, and for all those teams thinking they have the ultimate, perfect device they don't want anyone else to 'copy', they might pick up a few tips by observing some of their competitors devices.

Preventing pictures isn't going to stop people from copying devices. Many people have excellent visual memories and can use pencil and paper to draw very accurate sketches of things they've seen. Cameras are becoming smaller and more inconspicuous, allowing photos to be taken very discretely. Broken bridges can be recovered from trash cans after an event and pieced back together. Hence, why start an arms race between the spectators and event supervisors?

The bottom line is something I regular mention at coaches clinics - please keep the SO mission in mind, which consists of 3 components: Create an interest and passion for science; Improve STEM education and workforce skills; Recognize and celebrate achievements by students and teachers. The medals and trophies are the last, third part of the mission, and the part that has the least long-term impact. The first 2 parts are the really important ones, and by trying to be all secretive about device designs at events that are open to the public, a disservice is being done to the mission.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
baker
Division: C
State: NY

Post by baker »

chalker wrote:
laneyoung wrote:
Just wanted to chime in on my personal opinion (as well as how I've seen this handled at Nationals many times). Keep in mind that tournament directors classify events into 2 possible categories: open to the public and closed to the public. There is usually a lot of consistency from tournament to tournament as to which are open to the public, but no specific requirement / mandate in the rules. By making an event open to the public, it's an opportunity to engage parents, siblings, and other team members in this wonderful thing we call Science Olympiad. And as such, in today's modern social media crazed society, we should ENCOURAGE publicity, since anyone can be an author / journalist Which means we should be supportive of picture and video taking.

The visible, physical appearance of a device (be it a bridge, electric vehicle, or air trajectory device), is usually only a minor contributor to the success of that device. There are so many other factors that weigh far more heavily into the capability (such as glue type, wood density, grain orientation, water content, etc. etc.). There is always room for improvement in any device, and for all those teams thinking they have the ultimate, perfect device they don't want anyone else to 'copy', they might pick up a few tips by observing some of their competitors devices.

Preventing pictures isn't going to stop people from copying devices. Many people have excellent visual memories and can use pencil and paper to draw very accurate sketches of things they've seen. Cameras are becoming smaller and more inconspicuous, allowing photos to be taken very discretely. Broken bridges can be recovered from trash cans after an event and pieced back together. Hence, why start an arms race between the spectators and event supervisors?

The bottom line is something I regular mention at coaches clinics - please keep the SO mission in mind, which consists of 3 components: Create an interest and passion for science; Improve STEM education and workforce skills; Recognize and celebrate achievements by students and teachers. The medals and trophies are the last, third part of the mission, and the part that has the least long-term impact. The first 2 parts are the really important ones, and by trying to be all secretive about device designs at events that are open to the public, a disservice is being done to the mission.
Totally agree with Chalker, be a leader so others can learn. We've had teams copy others and never achieve the same result because of the factors quoted above. Not a 'one and done' event.
nxtscholar
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

dholdgreve wrote:
nxtscholar wrote:I will be proctoring this event at a regional tournament in NJ.

I had a question with regards to accuracy of measurement since I don't recall it specifically stated in the rules. What is the maximum acceptable margin of error on the PARTICIPANT'S end? What I mean by this is, for example, rule 3a states the bridge can be "no higher than 2 cm" perpendicular to the test base in that bearing zone.

I intend to use a caliper and if it reads 2.005 cm for instance, is that grounds to tier a team based on strict interpretation? Most teams don't use calipers and thus are more prone to (acceptable, imho) measurement errors...
I plan on building a very simple jig that runs parallel with the low end bearing zone, elevated exactly 2 CM... Contestants must place their bridge so that the low end is positioned on the testing platform. If this cannot be done because it hits the 2 CM high jig, then the bridge does not meet the construction standards and cannot be tested.

The jig will be constructed using a 3/4" piece of wood, shimmed at both ends with pieces of wood planed to .78" , then either clamped of screwed to the testing table. The opening between the 2 shims will be 20 CM to match the opening in the test support.
I ask this because this may help other proctors. You stated "If this cannot be done because it hits the 2 CM high jig, then the bridge does not meet the construction standards and cannot be tested." Cannot be tested? If I understand the relevant general scoring policy of Science Olympiad and the bridge building rules correctly (which I have copied below):

"Teams/devices that do not meet the requirements in the event rules will be allowed to compete if possible and are to be scored and ranked below those who met all of the specifications."

"If the bridge exceeds 2.0 cm it is counted as a construction violation"

Just because a bridge does not meet the 2.0 cm does not mean it can't be tested (that would be tier 4). A construction violation is tier 3 and I don't see any reason why competitors cannot proceed to test, albeit in a different tier, so long as the bridge still cleared the span and could accommodate the loading block.

Which brings me to my other point. I actually dislike the 2.0 cm high jig precisely because I believe competitors could still be allowed to test even if they fail to meet that specification. Because at that point, you'd have made contact (admittedly nearly negligible but still contact nevertheless) with the bridge.

I understand that as another event supervisor, you are entitled to your own interpretation and I respect that. I just want others to be aware of these rules and judge them for themselves.
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

nxtscholar wrote:
dholdgreve wrote:
nxtscholar wrote:I had a question with regards to accuracy of measurement since I don't recall it specifically stated in the rules. What is the maximum acceptable margin of error on the PARTICIPANT'S end? What I mean by this is, for example, rule 3a states the bridge can be "no higher than 2 cm" perpendicular to the test base in that bearing zone.
My students also built a similar simple jig using two stacks of 2 standard lego blocks with another long lego block separating the two stacks. The elevation of the long block is between 1.9-2.0cm and thus can be used for them to make sure that in setting up that they have it at an angle making it clear the 2cm limit. They could put something between the blocks to act as a spacer to make it exactly 2.0cm but we build short of the parameters to protect against a supervisors slightly different measure device.

I certainly think that a bridge that exceeds this 2cm limit would be a Construction violation, should still be tested, but will be ranked in Tier 3 at best.
baker

Post by baker »

I have a question about the 2 cm x 5cm Test Support Block, how long of a block is long enough? I also made a jig (an arch) for the opposite bearing zone side. Having done event super for 10 years I've never seen a bridge wider than 5 cm or so. I haven't been to any events yet this year so I haven't seen what the bridges are looking like in width. So will a test support block 20 cm long and an arch way jig with a 10 cm opening be good?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

baker wrote:I have a question about the 2 cm x 5cm Test Support Block, how long of a block is long enough? I also made a jig (an arch) for the opposite bearing zone side. Having done event super for 10 years I've never seen a bridge wider than 5 cm or so. I haven't been to any events yet this year so I haven't seen what the bridges are looking like in width. So will a test support block 20 cm long and an arch way jig with a 10 cm opening be good?
I'm pretty sure that the rules specify that the Test Support must be the same size as the Loading Block, i.e. 2 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm (although I may be remembering incorrectly). As for the width, I haven't really seen many competition bridges, so I wouldn't know about this. 10 cm sounds like enough, but don't take my word for it; my only experience for this event comes from proctoring it once (and reading the endless pages of stuff on scioly.org written about the balsa building events :P )
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
baker

Post by baker »

Unome wrote:
baker wrote:I have a question about the 2 cm x 5cm Test Support Block, how long of a block is long enough? I also made a jig (an arch) for the opposite bearing zone side. Having done event super for 10 years I've never seen a bridge wider than 5 cm or so. I haven't been to any events yet this year so I haven't seen what the bridges are looking like in width. So will a test support block 20 cm long and an arch way jig with a 10 cm opening be good?
I'm pretty sure that the rules specify that the Test Support must be the same size as the Loading Block, i.e. 2 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm (although I may be remembering incorrectly). As for the width, I haven't really seen many competition bridges, so I wouldn't know about this. 10 cm sounds like enough, but don't take my word for it; my only experience for this event comes from proctoring it once (and reading the endless pages of stuff on scioly.org written about the balsa building events :P )
Thanks for the response, now that I re-read the rules..again... In section 4b - test support must match loading block specs. I guess I got hung up on section 3b - no max width. Again thanks.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach

Post by dholdgreve »

And again in 5. b. ii :
"Team members must set the Test Support (4.b) in one of the Bearing Zones (4.a.iv). The Test Support must sit on on one of the 2.0 cm x 5.0 cm faces...
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”