Regarding the Loading Block assembly...

astrodoge
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Regarding the Loading Block assembly...

Post by astrodoge »

Hello all,

I have a question about the loading block: Can it be placed on the top of the bridge?

Here is what the checklist has: [quote]3.e. The Bridge accommodates a Loading Block Assembly placed in the center of the Bridge span. [/quote]

Many of the pictures I have seen show the assembly on the bottom of the bridge, but some show it on the top. More is added to the confusion because the manual or checklist does not say anything about this.

Thank you in advance!

Some pictures:
reed303

Re: Regarding the Loading Block assembly...

Post by reed303 »

astrodoge wrote:Hello all,

I have a question about the loading block: Can it be placed on the top of the bridge?

Here is what the checklist has: [quote]3.e. The Bridge accommodates a Loading Block Assembly placed in the center of the Bridge span.
Many of the pictures I have seen show the assembly on the bottom of the bridge, but some show it on the top. More is added to the confusion because the manual or checklist does not say anything about this.

Thank you in advance![/size]

Some pictures:
Image[/quote]

Although it is not an official clarification, the SciOly Wiki for BB at http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Bridge ... ng#Testing does say "The competitors will then assemble and place the loading block on or within the bridge, so long as it is above the standard minimum clearance."

Now what is the "standard minimum clearance", you ask. ISTM that is covered by Rule 3c re nothing is to "extend below the top surface of the Test Base".
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
NamG
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by NamG »

I think the rules this year leave it open. In past years the placement of the loading block has had additional guidelines associated with it that have forced it one way or the other.
SciOly OldHat
VansBuilders
Division: C
State: CA

Post by VansBuilders »

During the load testing for a few prototypes, I noticed that the base member(40 cm) invariably breaks in the middle on the side where the load is being added from. The rest of the bridge is always intact. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

VansBuilders wrote:During the load testing for a few prototypes, I noticed that the base member(40 cm) invariably breaks in the middle on the side where the load is being added from. The rest of the bridge is always intact. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
1) Probably strengthen the member, whether directly or by adding support (I haven't taken the event before).
2) How is this bridge being loaded only on one side?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
VansBuilders
Division: C
State: CA

Post by VansBuilders »

I am adding sand bags from one side. I realized that it is not being loaded uniformly. In the next load test, I will strengthen the member and load it uniformly. Thanks.

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”