Building Parameters

KKrupicka
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Building Parameters

Post by KKrupicka »

We are building bridges and getting ready for Invitationals. One of our bridge designs has the sides coming straight up from the corners of the bridge's base, while the other design has about a 2 cm. length from where the corner of the sides meet. We were reading through the rules, and noticed that there were no specified rules as to whether the side started from the corners of the base or if there had to be a gap from the corners of the base. The original design we had found from going to the Coaching Clinics appeared as if there needed to be a gap from the side to the corner (about 2 cm.). So my questions is: Is there a specified length that the beginning of the side of the bridge needs to be away from the corner, or are the rules open to interpretation? With this in mind, one of the bridge designs had all four sticks that created the sides, meeting at the very center with no room for the s hooks to attach onto. So basically, does the loading assembly need to be on the top of the bridge or are these rules also open to interpretation? Also is there a maximum/minimum width that the bridge needs to be inside of? If anyone needs pictures I can attach them for an easier understanding.
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Building Parameters

Post by JonB »

KKrupicka wrote:We are building bridges and getting ready for Invitationals. One of our bridge designs has the sides coming straight up from the corners of the bridge's base, while the other design has about a 2 cm. length from where the corner of the sides meet. We were reading through the rules, and noticed that there were no specified rules as to whether the side started from the corners of the base or if there had to be a gap from the corners of the base. The original design we had found from going to the Coaching Clinics appeared as if there needed to be a gap from the side to the corner (about 2 cm.). So my questions is: Is there a specified length that the beginning of the side of the bridge needs to be away from the corner, or are the rules open to interpretation? With this in mind, one of the bridge designs had all four sticks that created the sides, meeting at the very center with no room for the s hooks to attach onto. So basically, does the loading assembly need to be on the top of the bridge or are these rules also open to interpretation? Also is there a maximum/minimum width that the bridge needs to be inside of? If anyone needs pictures I can attach them for an easier understanding.

Definitely post pictures of this.
nxtscholar
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building Parameters

Post by nxtscholar »

I don't think I really need a picture. I EMPHASIZE THAT MY PERSONAL OPINION DOES NOT SUPERCEDE THE INTERPRETATION OF YOUR EVENT SUPERVISOR

As I understand the rules and your questions:
1. Just make sure that you can clear the span, that the bridge can rest on the test support at one end, and at the other end, it no more than 2 cm tall at the line marking the bearing zone.
2. The loading block does not need to be on the top of the bridge. It can be placed at any height so long as it is not below the top surface of the testing base (board). It also must meet the condition that it is centered with the center line on the test base.
3. The bridge can be any width. I honestly will be frank and confess that you asking that makes me think you didn't read the rules closely enough since 3b explicitly states there is no minimum or maximum width. Which brings me to another general point

READ THE RULES. I ran the event at the UCC regional tournament in NJ. It amazed me how many people didn't read the rules and FAQs and were surprised that there was even a test support.

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”