Hot Glue?

rigor_boi
Division: C
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hot Glue?

Post by rigor_boi »

Sorry if this offends anyone. I'm not looking to win or anything, but could using hot glue instead of cyanoacrylate or other fancy stuff lead to a bridge that places at States? My team is very low on people, time, and money so we pretty much giving up hope of doing extraordinarily well on a few of our building events in exchange for keeping the hope of doing well at the rest.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Hot Glue?

Post by chalker »

rigor_boi wrote:Sorry if this offends anyone. I'm not looking to win or anything, but could using hot glue instead of cyanoacrylate or other fancy stuff lead to a bridge that places at States? My team is very low on people, time, and money so we pretty much giving up hope of doing extraordinarily well on a few of our building events in exchange for keeping the hope of doing well at the rest.
Not sure why you think asking a question would offend anyone. That's exactly what this forum is all about. If you don't have any alternatives, of course you can try hot glue. It's not going to work very well and going to be heavy and hard to put on, but it's better than nothing. CA isn't really 'fancy', it's just the generic name for Super Glue. You likely have some already in your house. If not it's available virtually anywhere (grocery stores included).

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

rigor_boi wrote:Sorry if this offends anyone. I'm not looking to win or anything, but could using hot glue instead of cyanoacrylate or other fancy stuff lead to a bridge that places at States? My team is very low on people, time, and money so we pretty much giving up hope of doing extraordinarily well on a few of our building events in exchange for keeping the hope of doing well at the rest.
If you're worried about cost, CA glue is cheap; probably cheaper than hot glue. Where I am, you can buy a few grams of it (which should last you for many bridges) for under five dollars.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Try using Duco. It replaced Ambroid which is no longer available. Not all stores carry it.
rigor_boi

Post by rigor_boi »

Wait darn would "Gorilla Super Glue" work out OK? I think we might still have some
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

rigor_boi wrote:Wait darn would "Gorilla Super Glue" work out OK? I think we might still have some
As Chalker said... Of course you can use it... Any type of glue can be used....
I believe the original Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane based glue, that foams up in the presence of moisture... Probably not the best choice for such small and delicate structures, because as the glue dries and foams, it may "relocate" the piece you are trying to glue. I have not tried the Gorilla brand super glue, so I'm not sure if it is polyurethane based or cyanacrylate based... Both are perfectly legal. I would say that 90% to 95% of the bridges built use either a super glue, or a diluted wood glue. We see a few that use duco, and a few that use hot glue.

But your question really wasn't about whether or not hot glue was legal, it was can you place at State using it... I hate to be blunt, but it is highly unlikely, as it is just too heavy and hard to control, resulting in a much heavier bridge than will be competitive, unless you happen to be in a State that has little competition.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Mr_Pep_Band
State: ND

Post by Mr_Pep_Band »

I stick my wood glue, whether it be Elmers, Tightbond, or Gorrila. It takes more time to dry (1-2 hours before moving it), but i think it performs better and cheap ($5 for 16-20 oz).

If you have a drawn out plan of your bridge profile, both sides can be fabricated in 2-D in 1-2 days, and then the 3rd and 4th you can go vertical by using legos as spacers and jigs to hold the two side frames in place.
ND State Competition Facilitator
Towers, Boomilever, and Bridge Building 2011-2016

"A good Design needs to have good Fabrication"

Divison C Competitor 2009
doublelift
State: TX

Post by doublelift »

You can buy super glue (cyanoacrylate) at pretty much any hobby store, hardware store, etc. It's really cheap and it will definitely be worth it to use super glue instead of hot glue. Bridge is one of the few building events that you can actually build in one night, so I wouldn't give up all hope! Look around on the wiki (Best of Nationals pages), draw out a 1:1 scale diagram, and make sure your bridge is within specs. Good luck!
roller coaster is my favorite event
bearasmith
State: MD

Post by bearasmith »

I wouldn't use hot glue. It tends to rip off the wood easily. Also, hot glue is much harder to get small amounts of, so the bridge is usually pretty heavy. If you want to use Gorilla Glue, then I would use paper weights, or pins on a foam board that hold the pieces together. Otherwise, like deholdgreve said, the wood can relocate while the glue forms.

-Bearasmith
Medal Count: 52
rigor_boi

Post by rigor_boi »

Wait darn can I get away with using regular old Gorilla Glue? As long as I clamp it real good ad don't put too much, the expansion should be fine, right? :?:

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”