Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
blobfishburrito
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by blobfishburrito »

VENT: my english 10 honors teacher assumed we were all cheating onm a Huck Finn test because we had a high class average (B/A range). she puts up a review sheet online for us to use (not an assignment/collected) for tests, so usually people have their own group of friends to help with the review sheet and help with questions on it (Google Drive). she stated it "was a form of cheating". although i can understand her view, collaboration is an important skill to have. plus it wasn't collected, she just suggests we all use it, so she couldn't tell us to nOT work on it with others ?? . and if this wasn't already triGGERING enough she said if we got "suspicious scores" like this again (usually we score 8-12% lower as a class average) she'd have us face "consequences", which means she'll take off the review sheet (the test is extremely tough without it), or make us do extra assignments. so basically, she's punishing us for getting good grades ??? america explain
Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

blobfishburrito wrote:VENT: my english 10 honors teacher assumed we were all cheating onm a Huck Finn test because we had a high class average (B/A range). she puts up a review sheet online for us to use (not an assignment/collected) for tests, so usually people have their own group of friends to help with the review sheet and help with questions on it (Google Drive). she stated it "was a form of cheating". although i can understand her view, collaboration is an important skill to have. plus it wasn't collected, she just suggests we all use it, so she couldn't tell us to nOT work on it with others ?? . and if this wasn't already triGGERING enough she said if we got "suspicious scores" like this again (usually we score 8-12% lower as a class average) she'd have us face "consequences", which means she'll take off the review sheet (the test is extremely tough without it), or make us do extra assignments. so basically, she's punishing us for getting good grades ??? america explain
Ahhhhh that sounds horrible. She really assumed that the whole class cheated?
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
blobfishburrito

Nerd_Bunny wrote:
blobfishburrito wrote:VENT: my english 10 honors teacher assumed we were all cheating onm a Huck Finn test because we had a high class average (B/A range). she puts up a review sheet online for us to use (not an assignment/collected) for tests, so usually people have their own group of friends to help with the review sheet and help with questions on it (Google Drive). she stated it "was a form of cheating". although i can understand her view, collaboration is an important skill to have. plus it wasn't collected, she just suggests we all use it, so she couldn't tell us to nOT work on it with others ?? . and if this wasn't already triGGERING enough she said if we got "suspicious scores" like this again (usually we score 8-12% lower as a class average) she'd have us face "consequences", which means she'll take off the review sheet (the test is extremely tough without it), or make us do extra assignments. so basically, she's punishing us for getting good grades ??? america explain
Ahhhhh that sounds horrible. She really assumed that the whole class cheated?
sadly, yes.
blobfishburrito

alsooo today i tried to slide in troy HS's scioly's instagram to ask them if they had a mentor i could ask a few questions to.
they havent answered back lol but maybe they assumed i was creepy because I spammed their page with likes last week when i found it.

on second thought maybe its not surprising they havent answered back.
cheese

Post by cheese »

i spent two hours looking for a laser pen yesterday then i finally found it. Then I was seeing if it worked and it did so yay, then i ate dinner and then it was gone. I spent an hour last night looking for it and i finally found it in the couch a couple of minutes ago. the laser pen is for battery buggy smh.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

wait wot m8
what use do u have for a laser pen for battery buggy? You can't even use lasers to aim (which sucks tbh)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
windu34 wrote: It appears to me that alot of people on this forum are missing the true beauty of stations tests. An ideal stations test is one where each station has more questions than a team could possibly ever answer in time, all in a relatively well-distributed difficulty spectrum. Stations tests, in opposition to normal sit-down tests, place emphasis on speed, comprehension, teamwork, and true knowledge. A well-written stations test leaves little to no time for competitors to dig around in their notes/binders for info. It forces competitors to truly know the information in their heart. Additionally, the test of mental endurance in a fast stations test is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Its about moving as thinking as fast as possible, not for the last 2 minutes of the event like in normal test events, but throughout the entire 50 minutes. When I come out of a fast stations test, I literally needed to lie down for 5 minutes and catch my breath and let my heart slow back down. The adrenaline rush is like nothing youve ever experienced before. When everything you've worked towards is on the line and the only thing holding you back is how fast you can physically write/move, you push yourself HARD.
Another component of stations tests that people here are missing is the "Adapt and Overcome" aspect. "There isnt enough room to move between stations. The answer sheet is not labeled clearly. The stations are out of order." Well guess what? Its the same for everyone and if you want to win and be the best, you better think twice about complaining and figure out a plan with your partner on how to approach the situation. Chaos is inherent - the best teams will deal with it quickly and seamlessly transition while the other teams are standing around complaining.

This has been my experience with my partner because when we are competing, we are thinking about all the times we had to wake up and go to school with only 2 hours of sleep because we had been preparing the entire night and we know we owe it to ourselves to do everything we possibly can at the actual competition.

Thats my rant. Curious to hear what others have to say.
I know I've posted like a million times in this thread in the last day but I'm sorry: this is 110% accurate and I could not agree more. (seriously, is there a way to like a post?) Fast, difficult station tests are a rush AND a great way of differentiating good teams from great ones.

To add to what windu said, it also forces you to be good at ALL of the subjects. If you're only decent at one station, you might not have the recall to finish it in time, even if you knew all the info. On a sit-down test, you would have gotten those points because you could have sped through other sections that you knew well and used that extra time to flip through notesheets for the parts you didn't know, but on a stations test you have to know everything equally well or you won't be able to answer fast enough to finish everything. So it also emphasizes a well-balanced understanding.
It is then very likely that I have never had a station test like that you two are describing. I have participated in and/or witnessed about seven station tests, and none of them fit the description you guys are giving it. Perhaps you should spread the word about it. ;) (Though, I still see the "Adapt and Overcome" aspect as more of a bug than a feature of station tests, but if you like that, more power to you.)

Though, if you've ever taken a JCicc Astro test, I can assure that you definitely get an adrenaline rush out of that too. :P
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Alicecream
Division: B
State: AL

Post by Alicecream »

Cheritz is releasing Ray's route even though he was too clingy--
Whatever float's the fandom's boat. Even though I'll play it anyway for any new CGs....
Kermitting Sciolycide, also known as devoting all your life to this season's Science Olympiad.
__________________________________________________________________________________
A proud fandom trash
Mistake Mess..
Fictionsexual and proud.
Being Meguka is suffering.
A big Pokemon fan +_+
Sleepy
State: PA

Post by Sleepy »

I ate pizza at lunch today
Stroudsburg HS '18
[size=80][u]MC Barons | Tiger | North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 2 | 14 | 2 | 2 | 9
Remote: 9 | 18 | 2 | 1 | 8
Hydro: 11 | 18 | 3 | 2 | 2
Game On: 3 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 21[/size]
[size=80][u]North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 1 | 2 | -
Remote: 2 | 1 | -
Game On: 3 | 4 | -[/size]
Benewcomb
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Benewcomb »

I had mini corn dogs that were kind of sweet.
love you <3

Return to “General Chat”