Who's your role model in Scioly.org?

A forum for those Word Games that plague the Earth.
Uber
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Who's your role model in Scioly.org?

Postby Uber » February 22nd, 2018, 9:02 pm

@varunscs11
@reefownage
Last edited by Uber on February 22nd, 2018, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard '22
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '18

birdylayaduck08
Division: Grad
State: TX

Postby birdylayaduck08 » February 22nd, 2018, 9:22 pm

@reefownage
@varunscs11
Seven Lakes High School '19

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » February 23rd, 2018, 3:39 am

This makes me go "d'aww" :') [Reason is just that it's nice to remember some users, new and old].

Anyway.

@zyzzyva980
@EastStroudsburg13
@JCicc

Edit: Fair enough to Skink. I think it's in posting games, and I don't think it's so bad. We could make this into a thread with longer posts, but I feel like that might be more for General Chat. Then it might be more of cute anecdotes remembering things people did, but that would be a lot longer and may not do people any more justice...but it might, that's not a bad idea hmm.

Though, related, if people posting here idolize these users...I'd find that a bit strange / something good to talk about >.>.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

varunscs11
State: PA

Postby varunscs11 » February 23rd, 2018, 7:43 pm

@reefownage
@varunscs11
@varunscs11
@reefownage
This is really flattering - I hope I was a good role model :)

@blakinator8 for me (among others who are not on scioly.org)
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Postby Tailsfan101 » February 23rd, 2018, 8:50 pm

@bernard (Just helpful in general)
@Alex-RCHS (Microbe Mission help)
2020 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division C)
2020 events: DD, GLM, DG, PM
Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats
RS: 1/2/1/-
DD: -/3/2/-
HD: 2/4/4/-
CB: 3/6/1/-
ELG: -/6/-/-
GLM: -/-/-/31
WIDI: -/-/-/24
PTQ: -/-/-/41
Assassinator for games #118 and 136

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » February 24th, 2018, 5:03 am

@alexamezaga1
@jonB
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » February 24th, 2018, 2:35 pm

I remember that part of the reason I joined scioly.org in the first place (and why I’ve worked so hard at SciOly over the past few years) is seeing the dedication of some of the national medalists on here — I think Adi1008 and Unome are two that stood out to me in particular.

When I went to nationals in 2016 and placed in the low 20s in my events I was proud of my hard work, but didn’t think I could do much better. When I saw some of the people getting gold medals or multiple medals I just assumed they were geniuses, or had amazing coaches in their events, or for some other reason had an unfair advantage over me — I thought I could never be like them. But then one day I came across some posts where people were discussing how they were studying over the summer. I looked at those people’s signatures and saw that they had several national medals, and that was when it clicked: the people more successful then me didn’t have any unfair advantages, they just worked harder than I had ever considered. Therefore, I also realized that the only thing ever holding me back was my own work ethic. Studying over the summer and spending 3+ hours every day on SciOly were things I had never considered doing, but the success and dedication of members on here opened up my eyes to what is possible. I’m very thankful for that.

Edit: I also feel that Balsa Man (the late Len Joeris) must be mentioned on here for his vast knowledge of balsa events and incredible willingness to help others.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

daydreamer0023
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)

Postby daydreamer0023 » February 24th, 2018, 8:30 pm

So many amazing people on this site...I'll list the ones from the top of my head, though there are certainly much more.

Shoutout to pikachu4919 for being incredibly helpful in Forensics, from Forensic wiki updates to those amazingly written tests (which I will someday learn to do well on...). Also, thank you to bjt4888 and jander14indoor for helping hapless rookies much like me two years ago get started on "flying events" (Wright Stuff, Helicopters, Elastic Launch Gliders) and for advising those who have gotten most of the basics on troubleshooting and ways to improve. I am forever grateful to syo_astro and foreverphysics for starting SSSS - I never would have met as much of the scioly community as I did - as well as to the wonderful mods, it was an honor to work alongside all of you. :) Thanks to Bernard for his dedication in managing this site, even when his competing days are long gone.

Lastly, but certainly not least, I'd thank chalker for patiently answering and putting up with all of our questions, including the ones on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6972.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » February 25th, 2018, 12:29 pm

I am forever grateful to syo_astro and foreverphysics for starting SSSS - I never would have met as much of the scioly community as I did - as well as to the wonderful mods, it was an honor to work alongside all of you.
mnstrviola does a significant amount of work for SSSS (maybe it's more "behind the scenes", idk?). forever started it, along with msntr and tornadoguy. Very soon after that tornado kinda disappeared, so I stepped in and tried to help on the communications side (which is why you hear from me more than mnstr I guess:P).

(sry to correct, but it's important to give props to everyone on topic of starting SSSS!)
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

daydreamer0023
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)

Postby daydreamer0023 » February 25th, 2018, 5:14 pm

I am forever grateful to syo_astro and foreverphysics for starting SSSS - I never would have met as much of the scioly community as I did - as well as to the wonderful mods, it was an honor to work alongside all of you.
mnstrviola does a significant amount of work for SSSS (maybe it's more "behind the scenes", idk?). forever started it, along with msntr and tornadoguy. Very soon after that tornado kinda disappeared, so I stepped in and tried to help on the communications side (which is why you hear from me more than mnstr I guess:P).

(sry to correct, but it's important to give props to everyone on topic of starting SSSS!)
My bad, thanks for correcting me! I just remember that two people who helped to start SSSS were still leading it and I momentarily blanked on who the second person was - that's totally my fault, as mnstrviola was wonderful as well.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Return to “Posting Games”