:ugeek:

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Postby Luo » August 11th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Unome wrote:Science Olympiad at MIT has an account now. Thsi makes me thin kthat a) the 2017 tournament announcement is going to be coming out very soon now, and b) Luo is not very involved anymore (< sad face if true. liked his speeches)

Edit: Also, the website is currently offline in preparation for next year.

Glad you liked my speeches :) I'm still around, but I'll be working on the tournament in a strictly advisory capacity this year. I intended to make the transition from a lead operational role to an advisory role last year, but duty called and I ended up doing a bit more than I had expected. From the very beginning of Science Olympiad at MIT, we planned to have a new tournament director every year to ensure that new ideas would surface and that the organization would be sustainable in the long-term (not dependent on any individual person). This year, the incredibly dedicated Katie Shade, a member of last year's tournament planning committee, will be stepping up into a co-director role along with my great friend and classmate Stephen Tang. The tournament is in extraordinarily capable hands.

As I'm sure you saw, the 3rd annual MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament will be on Saturday, January 21, 2017. We hope to see you there! Fingers crossed for no blizzard this year.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Entomology
Division: C
State: CA

Postby Entomology » August 11th, 2016, 4:35 pm

Never been prouder than when I saw Simone and Aly on that stage. Props to them for winning gold and silver:)
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle

texas
State: TX

Postby texas » August 11th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Entomology wrote:Never been prouder than when I saw Simone and Aly on that stage. Props to them for winning gold and silver:)

Don't forget Michael Phelps :)
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad

[NerdyTotoro]
State: -

Postby [NerdyTotoro] » August 11th, 2016, 5:20 pm

texas wrote:
Entomology wrote:Never been prouder than when I saw Simone and Aly on that stage. Props to them for winning gold and silver:)

And Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, Katie Ledecky, Nathan Adrian, Missy Franklin... the list goes on.
:idea:

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » August 11th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Okay, I'm really confused...my username is currently "Magikarpmaster926" instead of "Magikarpmaster629" :? :?:

Would a kind mod help please?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Fibonacci924
Location: In the Castle by the lake, determining which book I should read in to next.

Postby Fibonacci924 » August 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm

[NerdyTotoro] wrote:
texas wrote:

And Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, Katie Ledecky, Nathan Adrian, Missy Franklin... the list goes on.

Uh, Franklin and Lochte weren't exactly that good. And never forget young Ryan Murphy kicking Olympic butt.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators

Panda Weasley

Postby Panda Weasley » August 12th, 2016, 6:45 am

texas wrote:

Ugh. He's so annoying and such a poor winner! I'd much rather we lose in his events then have him represent the US. Although I guess is better than if Trump won 20 golds...
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

texas

Postby texas » August 12th, 2016, 7:16 am

Panda Weasley wrote:
texas wrote:

Ugh. He's so annoying and such a poor winner! I'd much rather we lose in his events then have him represent the US. Although I guess is better than if Trump won 20 golds...

My mom is a huge fan of Trump and Michael Phelps.
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad

Fibonacci924
Location: In the Castle by the lake, determining which book I should read in to next.

Postby Fibonacci924 » August 12th, 2016, 7:47 am

Ryan Murphy is a great winner!
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Entomology
State: CA

Postby Entomology » August 12th, 2016, 8:10 am

Panda Weasley wrote:
texas wrote:

Aww, I love phelps. I thought it was kinda funny actually how he reacted to his medaling.

On the other hand, I can't wait for all of the Women's events finals! Kocian has really good uneven bar routines and form, and she'll probably take gold in that event with Mustafina and Douglas battling it out for silver and bronze. Vault for women's is a wild card ( the money's on Simone honestly) with a ton of competitors doing the Amanar and the Cheng vaults, so the variation isn't too high. Simone got the highest in qualifications with a 16.000 and 16.100, but her score hasn't been as high during team finals and all around finals, and if it keeps decreasing, there won't be a clear winner. Floor has always been Raismans strong suit, but Simone has beaten her everytime in competition this year so floor finals should be rather interesting. Beam could be anywhere between Biles and Hernandez.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle

iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby iwonder » August 12th, 2016, 10:35 am

zyzzyva980 wrote:
Entomology wrote:Found this gem while browsing through a really old rocks and minerals binder:

Look at the date and the logo

am I old now

I was in highschool... Competing in SO...
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

daydreamer0023
Location: I have no idea where I am, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going ;)

Postby daydreamer0023 » August 12th, 2016, 3:12 pm

Let's say that I'm bad at Sassy games. First chance at being officer = dies next round. Thought about self protecting but decided it was too selfish. Sorry about being such a poor replacement Jasper_Kota. :P Oh, well. Got some suspects now.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Fibonacci924

Postby Fibonacci924 » August 12th, 2016, 3:18 pm

You can always PM me with your insight daydreamer. I'm not letting you die in vain!

JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby JasperKota » August 12th, 2016, 11:26 pm

Aw no I didn't expect it to be you at all, daydreamer since we just made the replacement
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives

Return to “Posting Games”