Your Daily Random Comment

Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Postby Unome » January 14th, 2017, 10:17 am

A few minutes ago I saw a tournament official carrying a rules manual tucked into the back of their pants :?:
You gotta do what you gotta do.
Unrelated: I just saw an EV veer off course by about 15 meters, and go out the open gym door XD
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Panda Weasley
Division: C
State: -

Postby Panda Weasley » January 14th, 2017, 11:37 am

A few minutes ago I saw a tournament official carrying a rules manual tucked into the back of their pants :?:
You gotta do what you gotta do.
Unrelated: I just saw an EV veer off course by about 15 meters, and go out the open gym door XD
One of my coaches' EV did that when she competed. It went down a flight of stairs and through a door.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » January 14th, 2017, 3:12 pm

When you go to a sushi restaurant and see the "consuming raw food may lead to food borne illness" warning and immediately think of Disease Detectives.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Entomology
State: CA

Postby Entomology » January 14th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Is it really an invasive species class if you dont watch Weed of the Week?
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle

Complexity
State: MI

Postby Complexity » January 15th, 2017, 2:30 pm

I live in Eastern Time zone. When I look at time of other peoples posts, I see that there are people like 5 hours ahead, so where would they be from?

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » January 15th, 2017, 3:26 pm

I live in Eastern Time zone. When I look at time of other peoples posts, I see that there are people like 5 hours ahead, so where would they be from?
Have you heard of sleep? I haven't.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Complexity

Postby Complexity » January 15th, 2017, 3:30 pm

No, so if it is 6:00 at my place, it shows 11:00 as the time of the post that was just posted by you.

JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby JasperKota » January 15th, 2017, 3:40 pm

It's probably because you have not changed your times in the settings from the default UTF.
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives

Complexity

Postby Complexity » January 15th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Alright,,, just putting it out there. I took first place at regionals for wind power because we had the exact same proctor as invitationals, and he kept test same and only changed a couple numbers. So glad we brought a key from the previous invitational :)
It's hardly my fault, I mean the proctor was kinda lazy for keeping the tests the same, and we just happened to have key.
sue me

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Unome

Postby Unome » January 15th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Alright,,, just putting it out there. I took first place at regionals for wind power because we had the exact same proctor as invitationals, and he kept test same and only changed a couple numbers. So glad we brought a key from the previous invitational :)
It's hardly my fault, I mean the proctor was kinda lazy for keeping the tests the same, and we just happened to have key.
sue me

In 2014 the Shock Value test at state was the same as the previous year's. Our competitors were the same people as the previous year, so they finished the test in ~4 minutes (and got 1st). Every Remote Sensing test I've seen this year so far included questions from the test exchange.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Postby bernard » January 15th, 2017, 4:01 pm

What happens when a proctor has used all the existing tests on the Test Exchange? Of course you can't reuse a test from the exchange if you've used it before, right?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Unome

Postby Unome » January 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm

What happens when a proctor has used all the existing tests on the Test Exchange? Of course you can't reuse a test from the exchange if you've used it before, right?
They reuse bits and pieces of the tests that they made by reusing bits and pieces of the test exchange tests :P
Userpage

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Postby Luo » January 15th, 2017, 7:51 pm

...which means that either I have a really good memory, or I unconsciously stalk people :?
Speaking of unconsciously stalking, I now know a handful of scioly users' real names from a mix of last year's Nationals and SO related facebook pages.

Somewhat related, would it be weird to friend scioly.org users on facebook?
back in the day all the regulars friended each other; no comment on weirdness, but i will say i at least knew who they were

now scioly people friend me on facebook and i have no idea who they are - the only reason i know they're scioly is if scioly shirts are plastered all over their cover photos/profile photos and/or i see they're in a group with a name like "LASA SciO" - not complaining, though i do find it amusing :)
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Panda Weasley
State: -

Postby Panda Weasley » January 16th, 2017, 10:26 am

sue me

In 2014 the Shock Value test at state was the same as the previous year's. Our competitors were the same people as the previous year, so they finished the test in ~4 minutes (and got 1st). Every Remote Sensing test I've seen this year so far included questions from the test exchange.
The state Dynamic Planet test in 2015 had several sections taken from test in the test exchange.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Unome

Postby Unome » January 17th, 2017, 7:30 am

I just spent the last 30 minutes watching a regionals event signup. Even for being during school, it was agonizingly slow; I think four schools have started signing up, and I spent six minutes refreshing it before there was a single signup.
Userpage

Return to “General Chat”