bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by bernard »

What happens when a proctor has used all the existing tests on the Test Exchange? Of course you can't reuse a test from the exchange if you've used it before, right?
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:What happens when a proctor has used all the existing tests on the Test Exchange? Of course you can't reuse a test from the exchange if you've used it before, right?
They reuse bits and pieces of the tests that they made by reusing bits and pieces of the test exchange tests :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN
Has thanked: 0

Post by Luo »

maxxxxx wrote:
Unome wrote: ...which means that either I have a really good memory, or I unconsciously stalk people :?
Speaking of unconsciously stalking, I now know a handful of scioly users' real names from a mix of last year's Nationals and SO related facebook pages.

Somewhat related, would it be weird to friend scioly.org users on facebook?
back in the day all the regulars friended each other; no comment on weirdness, but i will say i at least knew who they were

now scioly people friend me on facebook and i have no idea who they are - the only reason i know they're scioly is if scioly shirts are plastered all over their cover photos/profile photos and/or i see they're in a group with a name like "LASA SciO" - not complaining, though i do find it amusing :)
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Panda Weasley
Division: C

Post by Panda Weasley »

Unome wrote:
Complexity wrote:Alright,,, just putting it out there. I took first place at regionals for wind power because we had the exact same proctor as invitationals, and he kept test same and only changed a couple numbers. So glad we brought a key from the previous invitational :)
It's hardly my fault, I mean the proctor was kinda lazy for keeping the tests the same, and we just happened to have key.
sue me

Has this happened to anyone else before?
In 2014 the Shock Value test at state was the same as the previous year's. Our competitors were the same people as the previous year, so they finished the test in ~4 minutes (and got 1st). Every Remote Sensing test I've seen this year so far included questions from the test exchange.
The state Dynamic Planet test in 2015 had several sections taken from test in the test exchange.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Unome

Post by Unome »

I just spent the last 30 minutes watching a regionals event signup. Even for being during school, it was agonizingly slow; I think four schools have started signing up, and I spent six minutes refreshing it before there was a single signup.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Private Wang Fire
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by Private Wang Fire »

Unome wrote:I just spent the last 30 minutes watching a regionals event signup. Even for being during school, it was agonizingly slow; I think four schools have started signing up, and I spent six minutes refreshing it before there was a single signup.
Is this a regional you're going to, or just a rando sign-up?

Either way, sounds more exciting than whatever we're doing in class rn :(
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

Unome wrote:I just spent the last 30 minutes watching a regionals event signup. Even for being during school, it was agonizingly slow; I think four schools have started signing up, and I spent six minutes refreshing it before there was a single signup.
Our coordinator wanted to know our top block choices for build event signup; and at least 2 weeks went by without a single signup.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
Unome

Post by Unome »

Private Wang Fire wrote:
Is this a regional you're going to, or just a rando sign-up?

Either way, sounds more exciting than whatever we're doing in class rn :(
Yeah the regional we're going to. Surprisingly it even took Brookwood 15 minutes to start.
Userpage

Complexity
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by Complexity »

How many of you guys have made it to nationals. Our team has people with lots of talent, but we have never broken 12th at states :(. We get pushed to second every year in regionals too because of northville. I think we have a lot stronger team this year... hoping for at least a team trophy at states
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Complexity wrote:How many of you guys have made it to nationals. Our team has people with lots of talent, but we have never broken 12th at states :(. We get pushed to second every year in regionals too because of northville. I think we have a lot stronger team this year... hoping for at least a team trophy at states
I've went a few times. If you're from Canton, y'all got 8th in 2012. Going to be a bit harder to get into the top 12 at states this year since there's going to be 60 teams (I'm assuming they're going to keep it as top 12 are the trophies). The main two ways I think it will affect who gets in the top 12 is 1) region 9 will most likely regain its second bid, so Huron HS will most likely be there, and 2) consistency will be much more important (I'm assuming they're going to scrap the old n=40 for scoring, so getting participation points or bombing an event will proportionally make a slightly bigger impact on the overall team score).

Good luck!

Return to “General Chat”