Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Post by whythelongface »

Cedavis6 wrote:Y'all, this is gonna sound weird, but here goes:

So I used this site a long time ago, and I was very immature on here. I used anonymity as an excuse to be rude. I know that most of the people that used this site when I did probably aren't on here anymore, but if you were and I offended you in any way, I sincerely apologize. I also specifically apologize for my homophobic comments on the Newsgathering thread a while back. It makes me so sick to think of some of the things I said then.

I am a very different person now than I was then, and I hope that my time on this site didn't hurt anyone too badly, I know that people were hurt. And I'm sorry.
I actually got redirected to the Newsgathering thread, where I did indeed find your comment.

People do things they don't want to remember. There will always be something you look back, five years later, and ask yourself, "what the <censored> was I thinking?" Although I do feel a bit disgusted by what your comment said, it doesn't really matter. To become a more tolerant person, by itself, is something miraculous and is probably something we should all aspire to do.

It's nice to see that the world isn't inherently intolerant.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Cedavis6 wrote:Y'all, this is gonna sound weird, but here goes:

So I used this site a long time ago, and I was very immature on here. I used anonymity as an excuse to be rude. I know that most of the people that used this site when I did probably aren't on here anymore, but if you were and I offended you in any way, I sincerely apologize. I also specifically apologize for my homophobic comments on the Newsgathering thread a while back. It makes me so sick to think of some of the things I said then.

I am a very different person now than I was then, and I hope that my time on this site didn't hurt anyone too badly, I know that people were hurt. And I'm sorry.
Welcome back, even if briefly - though hopefully not, the wiki needs some work.

/begin rant
Is that all it takes? "Homophobic" clearly no longer has any real meaning anymore...
/end rant
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

Unome wrote: /begin rant
Is that all it takes? "Homophobic" clearly no longer has any real meaning anymore...
/end rant
What did you expect? A visit to the church, "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned?" Twenty years of labor in the Siberian gulag? Not defending his/her comments, (I have several friends who have different gender identities, and I will physically fight anyone who disrespects them for their gender), but I appreciate what he/she has done. The fact that he/she recognized their past and acknowledged it as wrong is already impressive to me - most people's egos wouldn't allow that in a thousand years. We shouldn't hold all edgy teens responsible for what they say.
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22

Unome

Post by Unome »

whythelongface wrote:
/end rant
What did you expect? A visit to the church, "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned?" Twenty years of labor in the Siberian gulag? Not defending his/her comments, (I have several friends who have different gender identities, and I will physically fight anyone who disrespects them for their gender), but I appreciate what he/she has done. The fact that he/she recognized their past and acknowledged it as wrong is already impressive to me - most people's egos wouldn't allow that in a thousand years. We shouldn't hold all edgy teens responsible for what they say.
Oh, clearly my rant can across wrong - sorry. I was saying that what I could see of the posts wasn't homophobic in any meaningful sense of the word.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

Unome wrote:
whythelongface wrote:
/end rant
Oh, clearly my rant can across wrong - sorry. I was saying that what I could see of the posts wasn't homophobic in any meaningful sense of the word.
Hmm, From what I could see it wasn't outright homophobic, but that, too could be subject to interpretation. Sorry, your comment was a bit ambiguous :D
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

What does "drop" mean in the context of scioly? Like, to not medal?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

Alex-RCHS wrote:What does "drop" mean in the context of scioly? Like, to not medal?
Yeah. In most cases, that would signify a place >6, although I think NY gives ribbons to tenth place?
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22

Unome

Post by Unome »

whythelongface wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:What does "drop" mean in the context of scioly? Like, to not medal?
Yeah. In most cases, that would signify a place >6, although I think NY gives ribbons to tenth place?
Many regionals in NY count only a team's best events, typically dropping the 2-4 lowest from counting toward the team rank.
Userpage

antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Post by antoine_ego »

Unome wrote:
whythelongface wrote:
Many regionals in NY count only a team's best events, typically dropping the 2-4 lowest from counting toward the team rank.
For MA, they announce 7-10, give ribbons for 4-6 and medals for 1-3.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Unome

Post by Unome »

antoine_ego wrote:
Unome wrote:
whythelongface wrote: Yeah. In most cases, that would signify a place >6, although I think NY gives ribbons to tenth place?
For MA, they announce 7-10, give ribbons for 4-6 and medals for 1-3.
In NY, the number of medals depends on the number of teams at the regional - it's set by policy based on the number of teams registered by some date in December. Roughly, regionals in the range of 25-40 or so teams will award through 6th, 40-50 or so will award through 8th, and larger will award through 10th (just estimating based on what I can remember though).
Userpage

Return to “General Chat”