Re: Your Daily Random Comment

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 8th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Meanwhile we leave during first block for states

Alex-RCHS
Division: C
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » April 8th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Can anyone recommend a good laptop for college students?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Name
State: NY

Postby Name » April 8th, 2018, 1:22 pm

pb5754[] wrote:
Name wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Lol :lol: Cuz I had to get up and leave at 10 AM to get there. I need my sleep

10? We usually leave around 7ish though occasionally we leave alot later but like never later then 8something

That's nothing. You have to leave at 4:30 lol.

Well for any semi distant competition we always get there a day early so we've never had to leave at 4:30. Once though we considered leaving at midnight cause they cancelled the original time due to snow, but then they ended up completely cancelling the trip.
South Woods MS (5 medals)/Syosset HS (24 medals)
Favorite Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi
Next Year: Astro, Code, hopefully Orni, and maybe Compound
2018-19 highlights
mit- 1st code, 3rd fermi
cornell- 1st fermi
states- 1st fermi, 3rd astro, 3rd code
19 medals

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Postby dxu46 » April 8th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Welp, even more people know my name now because of *ahem* someone on IRC *ahem* *ahem* matematika *ahem*

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Postby TheChiScientist » April 8th, 2018, 5:50 pm

#IdentityExposed :o ^
#SchoolRemainsUnknown :D
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019
Medal Count:30 8-)
Background In
Boomilever,Code Busters,Exp Design, Thermo, WIDI, Hovercraft, Bridges, Wright Stuff, Geocaching, Fermi

School:Crystal Lake Central High School Wiki
Assassinator #119 and Co-Conspirator in #120
President of The Builder Cult. Builders rise up!

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 8th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Can't believe raw scores are out for the PA regionals :O

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Location: No idea, but I can tell you exactly how fast I'm going

Postby Magikarpmaster629 » April 8th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:Can anyone recommend a good laptop for college students?

I have Lenovo Yoga, really like it but was really expensive. A 15.6" as is pretty standard is quite large on a desk (although often you don't need to bring it to class even though basically everyone does), but since 13" is really small the 14" Lenovo is a good balance. I've also heard good things about Dell XPS 13. I think the specific laptop doesn't really matter unless you're going to be taking a lot of compsci classes, then you'll need a fast computer for your homework (my compsci friends always asking others to borrow computers), but besides that probably durability is most important.

EDIT: Realize this post might look really incoherent so I can answer more questions if you have any. Also on an unrelated note I just switched from Chrome to Firefox and like....why didn't I do this earlier it's so much better....
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Alex-RCHS

Postby Alex-RCHS » April 8th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:

I have Lenovo Yoga, really like it but was really expensive. A 15.6" as is pretty standard is quite large on a desk (although often you don't need to bring it to class even though basically everyone does), but since 13" is really small the 14" Lenovo is a good balance. I've also heard good things about Dell XPS 13. I think the specific laptop doesn't really matter unless you're going to be taking a lot of compsci classes, then you'll need a fast computer for your homework (my compsci friends always asking others to borrow computers), but besides that probably durability is most important.

EDIT: Realize this post might look really incoherent so I can answer more questions if you have any. Also on an unrelated note I just switched from Chrome to Firefox and like....why didn't I do this earlier it's so much better....

The post makes sense, thank you! I’ve also heard good things about the XPS13 so I’m leaning toward that. I’m trying to keep costs down and the Lenovo yoga actually doesn’t look too expensive at all. I’ll look into that more.

I’ve never heard anyone say another browser was better than chrome... hmm...
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby AlphaTauri » April 8th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Honestly, it depends a lot on what you want in a laptop -- power, battery life, ease of carrying around all day, etc...

Based on my personal experience:

• Definitely check out if there are any sales. I bought my college laptop (Lenovo Y series... don't remember the exact model) on a pretty steep sale for ~40% off.
  • Definitely consider buying a warranty, especially if it covers accidents. Said laptop died about 2 years in, but it was still under warranty, so they eventually sent me a new (better) one...

As for specific brands/laptops:

• Apple is... Apple. Portable and good battery life, but also expensive, and you can get an equally powerful PC for much cheaper.
  • I've also heard good things about the XPS.
  • Several friends (and myself) have Lenovos, because our laptops are pulling double duty as gaming computers, and it's hard to find a decently-priced laptop with a good processor and dedicated graphics card.
  • Also have a couple friends with a Windows Surface. They seem satisfied, but I'd personally hate it because I don't like touchscreens.
  • PCs in general don't get along well with coding that requires a *nix OS, but you could just install a Linux partition, or use workarounds.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » April 9th, 2018, 4:30 am

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Can't believe raw scores are out for the PA regionals :O

Link pls?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Anomaly » April 9th, 2018, 4:43 am

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Can't believe raw scores are out for the PA regionals :O

Link pls?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hSx1n ... k6AGjHYwt5
I've been staring at these for the past 3 hours and comparing our team's scores to all the other teams'. Woooo I had the highest fast facts score in the state (and third highest in road scholar wooo).
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Write It Do It

pikachu4919
State: IN

Postby pikachu4919 » April 9th, 2018, 9:16 am

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:

The post makes sense, thank you! I’ve also heard good things about the XPS13 so I’m leaning toward that. I’m trying to keep costs down and the Lenovo yoga actually doesn’t look too expensive at all. I’ll look into that more.

I'd also add that unless you're trying to go for a laptop that may double as a gaming laptop, it may also depend on your major. Some majors might require more processing power or software compatibility, while other majors may require better graphics capabilities. For example, here are recommendation guidelines for Purdue's engineering school and polytechnic institute: https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Supp ... opsuggesti

This may also give ideas for approximate price point vs cost: https://polytechnic.purdue.edu/undergra ... mendations

Personally, I use a MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display bc it's portable, it has a good battery life, and I still use it for some graphic design in addition to it being really good with all the software I use for engineering, but it's also expensive so whatever floats your boat. I would not recommend the old MacBook Pro 13" (the one with the CD slot) bc I used to use one and it broke a lot)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Anomaly » April 9th, 2018, 9:23 am

Alex-RCHS wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:

Guys what are you talking about. Microsoft Edge is obviously the superior choice :P
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Write It Do It

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Postby Tailsfan101 » April 9th, 2018, 11:32 am

Anomaly wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:I have Lenovo Yoga, really like it but was really expensive. A 15.6" as is pretty standard is quite large on a desk (although often you don't need to bring it to class even though basically everyone does), but since 13" is really small the 14" Lenovo is a good balance. I've also heard good things about Dell XPS 13. I think the specific laptop doesn't really matter unless you're going to be taking a lot of compsci classes, then you'll need a fast computer for your homework (my compsci friends always asking others to borrow computers), but besides that probably durability is most important.

Guys what are you talking about. Microsoft Edge is obviously the superior choice :P

Sarcasm, Anomaly? Opera is, without a doubt, the best browser.
2019 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki
State/Nats
CB: 1/35
RS: 1/44
DD: 2/37
MM: 3/46

Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats
RS: 1/2/1/-
DD: -/3/2/-
HD: 2/4/4/-
CB: 3/6/1/-
ELG: -/6/-/-
GLM: -/-/-/31
WIDI: -/-/-/24

Possible 2020 events: DD, GLM, Code, WIDI, 4N6

Assassinator for games #118 and 136

Alex-RCHS

Postby Alex-RCHS » April 9th, 2018, 11:56 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:The post makes sense, thank you! I’ve also heard good things about the XPS13 so I’m leaning toward that. I’m trying to keep costs down and the Lenovo yoga actually doesn’t look too expensive at all. I’ll look into that more.

Sarcasm, Anomaly? Opera is, without a doubt, the best browser.

I personally feel that Internet Explor
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Return to “Posting Games”