A forum for those Word Games that plague the earth
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: -

Re: Scioly Assassination 79: Elementary My Dear Watson

Postby rocketman1555 » August 31st, 2011, 3:07 pm

To clear things up: I was the Assassinator.

I am sorry that many of you feel that I played unfairly. I stand by my actions.

And there were ID clues. I don't know why they should have to be labeled.

I am not the Assassinator for game 80.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Postby harryk » August 31st, 2011, 3:15 pm

1. An okay clue, but a little complex

2. This clue was good, except you chose to target somebody who never played in the assassinations, nor have they been active on the forums for a while

3. I actually think this one is good, and specific(unlike most of your clues)

4. This is where you blatantly cheated. I was correctly protected, in time, for a good reason, yet you killed anyway and your reasoning behind that is because Alpha 'didn't' explain her reasoning, and because pacific didn't solve the clue by himself?!?!

5. This clue was horrible a.) it was not specifc b.) your reasoning makes no sense c.) the target was not actually known until the time period was up, I'm pretty sure this goes against one of the fundamental rules of clue writing; the target has to be predetermined

6. This clue was pretty bad, I understand your reasoning but The first. False. could mean almost anything, simply not specific enough

7. This clue was alright, a little cheesy I think though, it could obviously refer to an event coordinator, however there are a number of them on the forums and many people might not know who they were

8. Bad, bad, bad, bad BAD. 600 could literally refer to anything, even if you had included something to make us think of Yellow, that still could refer to nearly anybody

9. Mehh, anagrams are hard and time consuming officers will only take the time to do one if they are tipped off that it is one, and you might want to double check your work press ivory chef heart gets it does not spell out foreverphysics shall die

10. Again with the killing even though Luo protected himself

Consider this as feedback :D , and a warning to all future Assassinators :evil:
Last edited by harryk on August 31st, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

foreverphysics
State: AL

Postby foreverphysics » August 31st, 2011, 3:21 pm

Does the number 990000 have any significance? I'm pretty sure that you know what I mean, rocket...because apparently that was the one ID clue that anyone got.
For everyone else: I acquired an ID clue last night...did not have time to post on this thread. The clue was 990000. I dunno what that has to do with anything...
Last edited by foreverphysics on August 31st, 2011, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » August 31st, 2011, 3:49 pm

Winning doesn't seem to be worth as much anymore, does it?

I think I can sort this out, and someone correct me if I'm wrong:

The assassinator had good reasons for his actions, but never explained them, leading to confusion and frustration among the officers, to whom it appeared the assassinator was disregarding many of his stated rules.

Had the assassinator explained his reasoning, the officers would have been more interested in the game rather than the framework of the game, and we would probably still be playing.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, it's not completely rocketman's fault, I think that this game's officers, myself included, are probably quite weak compared to the officers of the game's golden ages, and while they have been losing strength, the assassinators, by watching over 75 games end in defeat, are growing stronger.

Oh, and none of the officers, again, myself included, seemed to really pay attention to the game closely enough to actually have a shot at winning.

Ultimately, it comes down to one thing, that this is a game (like fm said) and that in the long run it really doesn't matter. How many times have I said this, and no one has paid attention? A lesson veteran players and novices alike probably need to learn: Winning isn't everything. (Except in SO :P)
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: Wiki & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » August 31st, 2011, 6:25 pm

Just to clarify. I do not consider this game a win for the assassinator. I ended the game because it was becoming boring and seemed to be bothering everyone. Let's just call it a draw.

One correction to my solutions. The anagram actually read foreverphysics is the target.

@harryk: thank you for all your feedback. I would like to remind you that I have been around since the beginning of the assassination games. I'm sorry my clues don't fit within the norm of the current game and that you disagree with most of my actions. However, I played when the game was young and when the precedents were being created. There are official and unofficial rules that are in place because of my actions as assassinator in the past, and I'm sure the rules will continue to change in the future. The only issue is, the assassinator sets the rules, and the officers agree to play on the assassinator's terms. Complaining about clues and the assassinator's actions during the game will get you nowhere, as you don't know who the assassinator is til the end, so they are hard to control during the game.

@foreverphysics: that clue was bogus. Robot was just messing with you.

@Zyzzyva98: in the beginning the game was only partially about winning. Mostly I just wanted to bring the game back to its roots and remind people what it used to be like. By the end I was just trying to end the game. Looking back I probably should have explained my reasoning during the game, but being the assassinator is tough, and you don't always think about everything.

The Identity Clue: The identity clue is in all of my posts past the second clue I gave. The beginning letter of the second paragraph of each of those posts spells out my username. I don't see the point of labeling an identity clue, that makes things too easy. Also quite a few of the clues were based on things I am interested in, so those also should have targeted me.

PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you don't normally see Pacific Golden Plovers

Postby PacificGoldenPlover » August 31st, 2011, 6:57 pm

Okay, so once again, you give us a dynamic clue, with no telling whether or not we would finish the game to spell out the entire clue?
/me goes grab spotting scope.
Also, harryk, i'm a boy.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Postby harryk » August 31st, 2011, 7:22 pm

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Also, harryk, i'm a boy.

:oops:
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

quadratic
State: IL

Postby quadratic » August 31st, 2011, 8:05 pm

I think the problem was no one protect and over 50% of the clues were directed at officers, the sassy should only be able to win after a prolonged game were many civilians are killed like in 55
3.14159265358979323846264338327905 from memory.
I AM THE ASSASSINATOR

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » August 31st, 2011, 9:33 pm

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Okay, so once again, you give us a dynamic clue, with no telling whether or not we would finish the game to spell out the entire clue?
Also, harryk, i'm a boy.

I'm not the first one to do it. And with even part of the clue you should be able to solve that. How many other users have rock or rocket at the start of their names?

RandomPerson
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: IN

Postby RandomPerson » August 31st, 2011, 10:09 pm

rocketman1555 wrote:Just to clarify. I do not consider this game a win for the assassinator. I ended the game because it was becoming boring and seemed to be bothering everyone. Let's just call it a draw.

One correction to my solutions. The anagram actually read foreverphysics is the target.

@harryk: thank you for all your feedback. I would like to remind you that I have been around since the beginning of the assassination games. I'm sorry my clues don't fit within the norm of the current game and that you disagree with most of my actions. However, I played when the game was young and when the precedents were being created. There are official and unofficial rules that are in place because of my actions as assassinator in the past, and I'm sure the rules will continue to change in the future. The only issue is, the assassinator sets the rules, and the officers agree to play on the assassinator's terms. Complaining about clues and the assassinator's actions during the game will get you nowhere, as you don't know who the assassinator is til the end, so they are hard to control during the game.

@foreverphysics: that clue was bogus. Robot was just messing with you.

@Zyzzyva98: in the beginning the game was only partially about winning. Mostly I just wanted to bring the game back to its roots and remind people what it used to be like. By the end I was just trying to end the game. Looking back I probably should have explained my reasoning during the game, but being the assassinator is tough, and you don't always think about everything.

The Identity Clue: The identity clue is in all of my posts past the second clue I gave. The beginning letter of the second paragraph of each of those posts spells out my username. I don't see the point of labeling an identity clue, that makes things too easy. Also quite a few of the clues were based on things I am interested in, so those also should have targeted me.

Way to pull a siegelord (man I miss that guy), but second paragraph is quite hard to get.
A new era has begun

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » September 1st, 2011, 8:08 am

I did the second paragraph because that was where I was describing each kill. And it is harder to get, but I did have higher hopes of the officers in everything.

PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you don't normally see Pacific Golden Plovers

Postby PacificGoldenPlover » September 1st, 2011, 4:06 pm

rocketman1555 wrote:
PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Okay, so once again, you give us a dynamic clue, with no telling whether or not we would finish the game to spell out the entire clue?
Also, harryk, i'm a boy.

I'm not the first one to do it. And with even part of the clue you should be able to solve that. How many other users have rock or rocket at the start of their names?

Not necessarily at the start of the name, but anyone active on bottle ROCKETs forum or someone whose signature has something to do with bottle ROCKETS, or someone active on ROCKS and minerals. Also, I think Andrewsski's avatar is of a space shuttle.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)

TheGenius
State: KS

Postby TheGenius » September 1st, 2011, 4:37 pm

rocketman1555 wrote:I'm not the first one to do it. And with even part of the clue you should be able to solve that. How many other users have rock or rocket at the start of their names?

I believe you added an extra 'O' in your clue (resulting in "ROOCKET"), so that might have messed someone up if they thought of it.
PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Not necessarily at the start of the name, but anyone active on bottle ROCKETs forum or someone whose signature has something to do with bottle ROCKETS, or someone active on ROCKS and minerals. Also, I think Andrewsski's avatar is of a space shuttle.

He almost finished spelling "man" after "rocket", so that would have helped clear up the ambiguity provided someone had noticed it.
Any opinions expressed by TheGenius are those of individual brain cells and not necessarily those of the brain as a whole. Use information provided at your own risk.
152sQFbSTLEmeLiqUEWxmrEDpdiWKGvXJD

Return to “Posting Games”