Prescriptivists

A forum for those Word Games that plague the Earth.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Prescriptivists

Postby dxu46 » May 10th, 2018, 6:09 pm

From YDRC:
Both are correct.
FTFY(no verb :P)
dxu46 clearly hasn't heard of zero copula style :P
?
What's that?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » May 10th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Zero capula is when you connect the subject to the predicate without a copulative.

Things2do
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » June 24th, 2018, 2:29 pm

[quote="Sheogorath"][strikethrough]Ok[/strikethrough] [strikethrough]me and my friend[/strikethrough] [u]My friend and I[/u] were the SPL and ASPL for our Boy[u] S[/u]cout troop and we had to pick a game to play after the meeting... So one of the words was "Arrow of Light" ([strikethrough]it's[/strikethrough] [u]that's[/u] a Boy[u] S[/u]cout thing), so a kid goes up draws an arrow on the board with like rays coming out of it and a sun...[/quote]
It's a bit old (2008), but I found it while looking for a lead in the Sassy game.

Edit:
[quote="pb5754[]"][b][i][u]O[/u][/i][/b]ops[b][i][u].[/u][/i][/b] [b][i][u]F[/u][/i][/b]or some reason[b][i][u],[/u][/i][/b] my post [b][i][u]was[/u][/i][/b] posted twice...[/quote]

Edit 2: 
[quote="WhatScience?"]
What times are y[b][i][u]'[/u][/i][/b]all getting[/quote]

Edit 3:
[quote="Unome"]SciOly Superlatives returns again! For those of you who don't know what this is, it's a (mostly) annual occurrence where users are nominated for different categories, and are voted on, similar to what is done in many schools. You can see the previous years' threads here: [url=http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2914]2011[/url], [url=http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3621]2012[/url], [url=http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4769]2013[/url], [url=http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5697]2014[/url] [url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9257]2016[/url] [url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10688]2017[/url] (yeah I know there's no 2015, blame Kokonilly :P )

The categories, copy[b][i][u]-[/u][/i][/b]pasted from previous years, are as follows:

- Best Administrator
- Best Assassinator
- Best Cult Member (refers to cults organized around specific events, such as Entomology)
- Best Officer (on the assassinator games)
- Best Thread
- Biggest Grammar Nazi
- Biggest Nerd
- Biggest Procrastinator
- Clumsiest/Most Accident-Prone
- Funniest
- Future Dictator
- Future Mad Scientist
- Future Nationals Coordinator
- Future Nobel Prize Winner
- Least Likely to Have a Social Life
- Least Likely to Sleep, Period.
- Most Creative
- Most Dedicated
- Most Helpful
- Most Likely to Become a Teacher or Professor
- Most Likely to Sleep in Class
- Most Likely to Write a Novel
- Most Musical
- Most Original Username
- Most Painfully Intellectual
- Most Socially Awkward

Nominations for each category [strikethrough]can[/strikethrough] [b][i][u]may[/u][/i][/b] be submitted [url=https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeW6M3nPRutMaHb7S0RW4_3hMoUvsjkcHL6WIiLfLdOWunOBQ/viewform]here[/url]. Nominations [b][i][u]will[/u][/i][/b] end at 5 PM on Friday, June 1st.[/quote]

Edit 4:
[quote="WhatScience?"]I would bet actual money that people will call me future dictator. I get called one online everyday. Where[b][u][i]'s[/i][/u][/b] my discord crew at?[/quote]

Edit 5: (This'll take a while. I've only corrected to the |.) [size=3]This'll probably get me killed...[/size]
[quote="Assassinator"][b]H[/b]e loves me[b],[/b] he loves me not[b]. H[/b]e loves me with madness[b],[/b] he loves me not at all[b]. H[/b]e is dead[b],[/b] [strikethrough]and[/strikethrough] gone[b],[/b] and covered with flowers[b];[/b] all red and blue and purple[b]. H[/b]e adores me[b], but[/b] he's buried in the ground and married to the roses[b]. H[/b]e loves me[b],[/b] he loves me not[b]. H[/b]e loves me[b],[/b] he loves me[b],[/b] he loves me[b]. Oh[/b]roses are red and violets are blue[b],[/b] he weeps for him she weeps for him too[b]. H[/b]ere's a daisy[b],[/b] and a rue[b],[/b] and a sweet daffodil askew[b]. H[/b]e loves me[b],[/b] he loves me[b],[/b] his love is my due[b].[/b][strikethrough];[/strikethrough]
[b]T[/b]he officers will be the next five people who post in the forum expressing their interest[b]. P[/b]ut in a bit of thought before posting; if you have not been around for a while, it is less likely that you will be able to identify me[b]. A[/b]lso[b],[/b] be sure that you can actively participate for the next couple weeks; inactive officers will not be replaced, and likely will be killed;
there will be no informants, but civilians may post;
I will provide clues which plainly point to my next victim, and occasionally to myself;
each clue will last at least 48 hours unless explicitly said otherwise, after which I will make my kill;
I will not kill administrators or moderators; no exceptions;
officers may protect one person per clue; you may not change your choice;
once an officer has made three incorrect accusations, he or she may not accuse or protect anyone; after this occurs, the officer may not be replaced;
to accuse someone of being in the assassinator, post "I accuse <user> of being the Assassinator" in bold; the accusation may or may not count if it is not posted in this manner, depending on my mood;
once "killed," a user may not communicate about the game; no ghosts;
each officer will have three accusations; use them wisely;
I win after 15 incorrect accusations have been made, but the number needed to win goes down by one with each kill, or I win if I kill all the officers before you figure out who I am; the officers win if you correctly identify me before this happens;
I may or may not continue to post with my true account, and may provide hints there;
if I see it fit, I may decide to add rules during the game[/quote]

Edit 6:

[quote="Assassinator"]
[b]W[/b]ake up to the smell of the roses[b],[/b] officers[b].[/b] [b]A[/b] piece of paper with a little end attached has been left on your desks[b].[/b]
[b]T[/b]he end has an encoded message:
roots say[/quote]
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 4th, 2018, 5:23 pm

1. A lot (theres no way we're gonna have to know all)
2. A lot (i.e. Kentucky)
3. Metes & Bounds
Probably meant e.g., not i.e. here (or ex. or for example if you don't like Latin).

Things2do

Postby Things2do » September 4th, 2018, 6:12 pm

2. A lot (i.e. Kentucky)
3. Metes & Bounds
You probably meant e.g. here, not i.e. (Or; ex. or for example, if you don't like Latin.)
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 4th, 2018, 6:16 pm

2. A lot (i.e. Kentucky)
3. Metes & Bounds
You probably meant e.g. here, not i.e. (Or; ex. or for example, if you don't like Latin.)
Touché, but the semicolon there is definitely unnecessary and seems grammatically wrong to me. The dependent clause in the parentheses just continues the sentence, and a comma before if is somewhat unnecessary, though it would've been clearer if I used appropriate quotation marks:

You probably meant "e.g." here, not "i.e." (or "ex." or "for example" if you don't like Latin).

Also, why would the period go inside of the parentheses? That doesn't make sense to me.

Things2do

Postby Things2do » September 5th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Touché, but the semicolon there is definitely unnecessary, and it seems grammatically wrong to me. The dependent clause in the parentheses just continues the sentence, and a comma before if is somewhat unnecessary, though it would've been clearer if I used appropriate quotation marks:

You probably meant "e.g." here, not "i.e." (or "ex." or "for example" if you don't like Latin).

Also, why would the period go inside of the parentheses? That doesn't make sense to me.
I'm not sure of semicolons, so I figured quoting someone like this would be a good way of finding out... As for the quotation marks, the phone I was on doesn't have them, and it's a pain to copy and paste them when I'm on that device. And, as for the period inside of the parenthesis, I made that a new sentence. Ain't the clause in parenthesis a independent clause, anyway?
Don't you dare touch the "ain't".

linzhiyan
State: MO

Postby linzhiyan » September 5th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Ain't the clause in parenthesis a independent clause, anyway?
I ain't complainin' 'bout the "ain't", but shouldn't it be an independent clause instead of a?
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 5th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Touché, but the semicolon there is definitely unnecessary, and it seems grammatically wrong to me. The dependent clause in the parentheses just continues the sentence, and a comma before if is somewhat unnecessary, though it would've been clearer if I used appropriate quotation marks:

I'm not sure of semicolons, so I figured quoting someone like this would be a good way of finding out... As for the quotation marks, the phone I was on doesn't have them, and it's a pain to copy and paste them when I'm on that device. And, as for the period inside of the parenthesis, I made that a new sentence. Ain't the clause in parenthesis a independent clause, anyway?
Don't you dare touch the "ain't".
No, not necessarily (parentheses can mean all kinds of different tangential remarks, at least how I use them, similar to em dashes but less intrusive). Of course, you might have different ideas about what parentheses are.

Also, let's bring back ain't and y'all as English language speakers! They're perfectly nice words.

Things2do

Postby Things2do » September 5th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Ain't the clause in parenthesis a independent clause, anyway?
I ain't complainin' 'bout the "ain't", but shouldn't it be "an" independent clause instead of "a"?
I do not believe in the sequence of letters "a-n" as a word in the English language. That's also on my Userpage.
No, not necessarily (parentheses can mean all kinds of different tangential remarks, at least how I use them, just like em dashes but less intrusive).
I was referring to your "The dependent clause in the parentheses just continues"
...just like 'em dashes, but less intrusive).

Return to “Posting Games”