Prescriptivists

A forum for those Word Games that plague the Earth.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Prescriptivists

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 5th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Okay, I'm curious . . . why don't you believe in the word "an"? It makes for better phonetics (if you use the word "a" before a vowel sound, you have two distinct vowel sounds, which is prone to get a consonant sound in between them anyway unless you separate the words clearly in your speech).
I'm not sure, I just know I've done it since I was in first grade, if not before, and I had a good reason then...
No, they're called em dashes (because em sounds like the letter m, and em dashes are longer than en dashes). Also, I don't believe the comma is necessary before the "but" if it's not connecting two independent clauses. I suppose pedantry according to arbitrary rules is the point of this thread though, so have at it. :P
Ah. I'm not good with the names of the things... And, the comma after the "but" is a matter of preference.
Lol, y'all with your perfect English. I wish I was half as good. :lol: Would any of y'all like to proofread my English essay...?? :)
Replace "perfect English" with "English that conforms to arbitrary rules that someone made up a long time ago" ;)

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Anomaly » September 5th, 2018, 6:49 pm

I'm not sure, I just know I've done it since I was in first grade, if not before, and I had a good reason then...Ah. I'm not good with the names of the things... And, the comma after the "but" is a matter of preference.
Lol, y'all with your perfect English. I wish I was half as good. :lol: Would any of y'all like to proofread my English essay...?? :)
Replace "perfect English" with "English that conforms to arbitrary rules that someone made up a long time ago" ;)
If anyone here wants to proofread my essay on The Catcher in the Rye just lmk and i'll send it :P
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s

Things2do
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » September 5th, 2018, 6:51 pm

I'm not sure, I just know I've done it since I was in first grade, if not before, and I had a good reason then...Ah. I'm not good with the names of the things... And, the comma after the "but" is a matter of preference.
And we're using different rules, too... Your ellipses are different than mine...

Also, is it strange that I like trying to make grammar checking services make a mistake? I haven't gotten one yet, but I did get a message saying that the paragraph I typed would be easily understood by some college graduates...

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.": Whats a "Imk"?
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

linzhiyan
State: MO

Postby linzhiyan » September 5th, 2018, 6:56 pm

And we're using different rules, too... Your ellipses are different than mine...

Also, is it strange that I like trying to make grammar checking services make a mistake? I haven't gotten one yet, but I did get a message saying that the paragraph I typed would be easily understood by some college graduates...

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.": What's a "Imk"?
Oh, yay, I finally get to correctly correct someone :lol:
lmk means let me know (I think... I'm not the most fluent in text languages :lol: )
Yeah, I HEAVILY overuse ellipses, especially in text and stuff, but not on papers. Idk why though...
Last edited by linzhiyan on September 5th, 2018, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 5th, 2018, 6:57 pm

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.": Whats a "Imk"?
Actually, I use different types of ellipses depending on which seems easier to type at the moment (... vs . . . vs …—the first is three periods, the second is three periods separated by spaces, and the third is an ellipsis character, which Linux generates quite easily—Compose+.+.—but I think for other operating systems it* involves memorizing some Unicode numbers). It really changes with my mood. It's strange.

*Fixed typo
Last edited by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F on September 5th, 2018, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Things2do

Postby Things2do » September 5th, 2018, 6:59 pm

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.": What's a "Imk"?
Oh, yay, I finally get to correctlyexplain something to correct someone :lol:
lmk means let me know (I think... I'm not the most fluent in text languages :lol: )
Yeah, I HEAVILY overuse ellipses, especially in text and stuff, but not on papers. Idk why though...
It's hard to write them... It interrupts the flow of writing, and it doesn't look good on that kinda stuff.
Edit: I don't use Linux much... I only have it on a Chip computer.
Last edited by Things2do on September 5th, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 5th, 2018, 7:00 pm

It's hard to write them... It interrupts the flow of writing, and it doesn't look good on that kinda stuff.
How is it hard to write ellipses? (Asking in good faith, I promise)

linzhiyan
State: MO

Postby linzhiyan » September 5th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Actually, I use different types of ellipses depending on which seems easier to type at the moment (... vs . . . vs …—the first is three periods, the second is three periods separated by spaces, and the third is an ellipsis character, which Linux generates quite easily—Compose+.+.—but I think for other operating systems and involves memorizing some Unicode numbers). It really changes with my mood. It's strange.
I usually just use three periods, but sometimes I forget to switch my keyboard from Chinese to English, and I end up typing in three Chinese periods which put a space in between them and are hollow. (They look like these: 。。。) And, sometimes Google Docs automatically puts a space between the three periods, but I never intentionally do that.

EDIT:
Oh, yay, I finally get to correctlyexplain something to correct someone :lol:
Nah, you forgot to put an apostrophe between the "t" and "s" in what's.
Last edited by linzhiyan on September 5th, 2018, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unpunctual (and failed) Sassy of game #130...
Clayton High School Dank Memes Area Homeschool

Things2do

Postby Things2do » September 5th, 2018, 7:03 pm

I usually wind up breaking the lead on the third dot...

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » September 5th, 2018, 7:04 pm

I usually wind up breaking the lead on the third dot...
Ah, my pencils are never sharp, so I never have that problem.

Return to “Posting Games”