chalker, can I...

A forum for those Word Games that plague the Earth.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: chalker, can I...

Post by Unome »

NSCDS3RdCaptain wrote:Thank you for that information. I had not yet known this. @syo_astro, I completely agree with you. However, I feel that the event is a bit too narrow in scope, especially when compared to other events.
That's interesting, many people would say it's too broad.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TheCrazyChemist
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

Unome wrote:
NSCDS3RdCaptain wrote:Thank you for that information. I had not yet known this. @syo_astro, I completely agree with you. However, I feel that the event is a bit too narrow in scope, especially when compared to other events.
That's interesting, many people would say it's too broad.
I've competed in this event for a bit, and I've got to agree with Unome. I feel like it is too broad. Some tests will be the basic stuff that you learn in Chemistry and others will be insanely weird/hard *cough cough CT States cough cough*
NSCDS3RdCaptain
State: IL

Post by NSCDS3RdCaptain »

I had never heard this, as I never go out of IL for SciOly, and all the invite, regional, and state tests that I have taken have practically all tested the same material.
Thermodynamics 3/26/x
Thermodynamics 7/ /x
Water Quality 3/ /x
Battery Buggy 1/2/x
Battery Buggy 2/ /x
Ecology 3/12/x
Optics 4/26/x
Density Lab 4/ /x
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

bernard wrote:
daydreamer0023 wrote:Chalker, can you create a couple of Division D events so us Scioly alums can have fun? :)
We have them already...
Division D Wiki Page wrote:It was announced on April 1, 2012, with a promise of more details to come. A short time later, the ten events were revealed.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

Chalker, could you by chance add something to the rules, especially for build events, that would allow coaches to compete in any vacant time slots in events? Not to compete with students, but just for fun, and perhaps a cheap trophy. Something like a wooden spoon with the competition written on it or the like; at the competition/E.S.'s discretion... And, if any competitor were to need the timeslot, they should get it, even if there's already a coach scheduled for it.

I specifically mentioned build events because, to my knowledge, they wouldn't be too hard to accommodate more competitors in the vacant timeslots, if there are any. Whereas, study events would involve more grading time, which would detract from the competitors' experience and the timelines of the Awards Ceremony.

I also mention coaches to encourage alumni to help with a Science Olympiad team, even if they've moved and can no longer help with their own. If you don't have the time to help coach, do you really have the time to make something for a competition that's just for fun?
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Things2do wrote:Chalker, could you by chance add something to the rules, especially for build events, that would allow coaches to compete in any vacant time slots in events? Not to compete with students, but just for fun, and perhaps a cheap trophy. Something like a wooden spoon with the competition written on it or the like; at the competition/E.S.'s discretion... And, if any competitor were to need the timeslot, they should get it, even if there's already a coach scheduled for it.

I specifically mentioned build events because, to my knowledge, they wouldn't be too hard to accommodate more competitors in the vacant timeslots, if there are any. Whereas, study events would involve more grading time, which would detract from the competitors' experience and the timelines of the Awards Ceremony.

I also mention coaches to encourage alumni to help with a Science Olympiad team, even if they've moved and can no longer help with their own. If you don't have the time to help coach, do you really have the time to make something for a competition that's just for fun?
Interesting idea, but I think you are underestimating what event supervisors of build events are doing during 'empty slots'. Most event have a lot of scoresheets and data to process and enter into spreadsheets for final tabulation, which often is done during this time. Even if they have down time, having coaches compete like you describe wouldn't occupy only those empty slots. It would also require additional time to enter their scores (into ANOTHER scoring system,which hopefully doesn't get messed up with the 'real' scoring system), plus then tabulate the results to determine who is the winner. Finally, at most large tournaments, there AREN'T really any empty slots. They are almost fully booked.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

chalker wrote:
Things2do wrote:Chalker, could you by chance add something to the rules, especially for build events, that would allow coaches to compete in any vacant time slots in events? Not to compete with students, but just for fun, and perhaps a cheap trophy. Something like a wooden spoon with the competition written on it or the like; at the competition/E.S.'s discretion... And, if any competitor were to need the timeslot, they should get it, even if there's already a coach scheduled for it.

Interesting idea, but I think you are underestimating what event supervisors of build events are doing during 'empty slots'. Most event have a lot of scoresheets and data to process and enter into spreadsheets for final tabulation, which often is done during this time. Even if they have down time, having coaches compete like you describe wouldn't occupy only those empty slots. It would also require additional time to enter their scores (into ANOTHER scoring system,which hopefully doesn't get messed up with the 'real' scoring system), plus then tabulate the results to determine who is the winner. Finally, at most large tournaments, there AREN'T really any empty slots. They are almost fully booked.
I was afraid that I was underestimating the extra effort that would be required, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for taking the time to read it.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by sciolyperson1 »

chalker, could you implement a rule in which if a certain percentage of teams are tiered (let's say, 50%), then the event would be trialed - to prevent unreasonable supervisors from skewing team results too much?
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by builderguy135 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:chalker, could you implement a rule in which if a certain percentage of teams are tiered (let's say, 50%), then the event would be trialed - to prevent unreasonable supervisors from skewing team results too much?
cough cough cough cough GARNET VALLEY ROLLER COASTER
they literally tiered the 1st place roller coaster in the nation smfh >: (
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
TheCrazyChemist

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

builderguy135 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:chalker, could you implement a rule in which if a certain percentage of teams are tiered (let's say, 50%), then the event would be trialed - to prevent unreasonable supervisors from skewing team results too much?
cough cough cough cough GARNET VALLEY ROLLER COASTER
they literally tiered the 1st place roller coaster in the nation smfh >: (
Well someone's salty despite their nationals medal.

Return to “Posting Games”