chalker, can I...

A forum for those Word Games that plague the Earth.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: chalker, can I...

Postby chalker » June 25th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Chalker, could you by chance add something to the rules, especially for build events, that would allow coaches to compete in any vacant time slots in events? Not to compete with students, but just for fun, and perhaps a cheap trophy. Something like a wooden spoon with the competition written on it or the like; at the competition/E.S.'s discretion... And, if any competitor were to need the timeslot, they should get it, even if there's already a coach scheduled for it.

I specifically mentioned build events because, to my knowledge, they wouldn't be too hard to accommodate more competitors in the vacant timeslots, if there are any. Whereas, study events would involve more grading time, which would detract from the competitors' experience and the timelines of the Awards Ceremony.

I also mention coaches to encourage alumni to help with a Science Olympiad team, even if they've moved and can no longer help with their own. If you don't have the time to help coach, do you really have the time to make something for a competition that's just for fun?
Interesting idea, but I think you are underestimating what event supervisors of build events are doing during 'empty slots'. Most event have a lot of scoresheets and data to process and enter into spreadsheets for final tabulation, which often is done during this time. Even if they have down time, having coaches compete like you describe wouldn't occupy only those empty slots. It would also require additional time to enter their scores (into ANOTHER scoring system,which hopefully doesn't get messed up with the 'real' scoring system), plus then tabulate the results to determine who is the winner. Finally, at most large tournaments, there AREN'T really any empty slots. They are almost fully booked.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Things2do
Division: C
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » June 25th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Chalker, could you by chance add something to the rules, especially for build events, that would allow coaches to compete in any vacant time slots in events? Not to compete with students, but just for fun, and perhaps a cheap trophy. Something like a wooden spoon with the competition written on it or the like; at the competition/E.S.'s discretion... And, if any competitor were to need the timeslot, they should get it, even if there's already a coach scheduled for it.

I specifically mentioned build events because, to my knowledge, they wouldn't be too hard to accommodate more competitors in the vacant timeslots, if there are any. Whereas, study events would involve more grading time, which would detract from the competitors' experience and the timelines of the Awards Ceremony.

I also mention coaches to encourage alumni to help with a Science Olympiad team, even if they've moved and can no longer help with their own. If you don't have the time to help coach, do you really have the time to make something for a competition that's just for fun?
Interesting idea, but I think you are underestimating what event supervisors of build events are doing during 'empty slots'. Most event have a lot of scoresheets and data to process and enter into spreadsheets for final tabulation, which often is done during this time. Even if they have down time, having coaches compete like you describe wouldn't occupy only those empty slots. It would also require additional time to enter their scores (into ANOTHER scoring system,which hopefully doesn't get messed up with the 'real' scoring system), plus then tabulate the results to determine who is the winner. Finally, at most large tournaments, there AREN'T really any empty slots. They are almost fully booked.
I was afraid that I was underestimating the extra effort that would be required, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks for taking the time to read it.
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

sciolyperson1
State: NJ

Postby sciolyperson1 » June 27th, 2019, 5:45 pm

chalker, could you implement a rule in which if a certain percentage of teams are tiered (let's say, 50%), then the event would be trialed - to prevent unreasonable supervisors from skewing team results too much?
WW-P HSN '22

Roller Coaster National Champion '19
Team (Nats) - 3rd '18, '19
Mystery - 3rd '19
Buggy - 4th '19, 5th '18
Mission - 3rd '17

'20: Gravity - Boomi - WIDI - PPP? - Detector? - Wright?

Rate my tests!

builderguy135
Division: B
State: NJ

Postby builderguy135 » June 27th, 2019, 6:05 pm

chalker, could you implement a rule in which if a certain percentage of teams are tiered (let's say, 50%), then the event would be trialed - to prevent unreasonable supervisors from skewing team results too much?
cough cough cough cough GARNET VALLEY ROLLER COASTER
they literally tiered the 1st place roller coaster in the nation smfh >: (
HSN '22 & DMAH Co-Captain ;)
Follow us! https://www.instagram.com/dmahscio/
6-time medalist in Nationals 2019!
Roller Coaster National Champion '19
ELG - 2nd, '19
Mystery Architecture - 3rd, '19
Road Scholar - 4th, '19
Battery Buggy - 4th, '19

TheCrazyChemist
State: CT

Postby TheCrazyChemist » June 27th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Well someone's salty despite their nationals medal.
BMS 19' SHS 23'
TheCrazyChemist's Userpage
Failed Co-Sassy of Scioly Assassination 138: Tanks and Turrets.

lavarball
State: PA

Postby lavarball » June 27th, 2019, 9:00 pm

It only makes sense to be salty when you win nationals for an event but have that happen to you at an invite. The man who tiered them really likes to tier though, that’s all I can say about that.
Eagle View MS 2014-2017
Cumberland Valley HS 2017-2020

TheCrazyChemist
State: CT

Postby TheCrazyChemist » June 28th, 2019, 6:07 am

It only makes sense to be salty when you win nationals for an event but have that happen to you at an invite. The man who tiered them really likes to tier though, that’s all I can say about that.
Oh, I think I might know him through his reputation.
BMS 19' SHS 23'
TheCrazyChemist's Userpage
Failed Co-Sassy of Scioly Assassination 138: Tanks and Turrets.

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby chalker » June 29th, 2019, 7:01 am

I little internal SO politics for you all: I HATE tiering. I've pushed hard to eliminate it where ever possible as I think it unfairly amplifies certain penalties. It you notice, none of the Physics events have tiers, rather only penalties. I was able to get some of the Technology events one year to switch to penalties instead of tiers, but they promptly switched back the following year. That said, some event supervisors just have a 'gotcha' mentality, and regardless of whether its tiers or penalties, they are likely to overuse them instead of applying general rule #5: "Officials are encouraged to apply the least restrictive penalty for rules infractions "

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

SciolyMaster
State: MO

Postby SciolyMaster » July 1st, 2019, 10:01 am

Chalker, can I have Air Trajectory back in the 2020-21 season? I need redemption for forgetting to put the ball in our device, costing us our chance to medal at 2016 nats :cry:
Ladue Science Olympiad
Sounds
Geo Mapping
DyPlan
Astro?
GV?
UChicago / regionals / state
Sounds: 5 / 2 / 3
Geo Mapping: 2 / 1 / 2
Thermo: - / 1 / :cry:
Astro: - / 1 / -  8-)
"You're only good because you study!"

Things2do
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » July 6th, 2019, 7:33 am

Chalker, would you perchance be willing to help a really small, largely unfunded team by send the 2019-2020 rules for Gravity Vehicle?
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

Return to “Posting Games”