WEDGE question

mommyjo2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WEDGE question

Post by mommyjo2 »

The rules say the wedge must separate two touching objects. Does cutting something in half count? i.e., chopping a board in half or dividing a piece of putty or cutting a string.
watermydoing14
Division: C
State: WA

Re: WEDGE question

Post by watermydoing14 »

mommyjo2 wrote:The rules say the wedge must separate two touching objects. Does cutting something in half count? i.e., chopping a board in half or dividing a piece of putty or cutting a string.
I don't see why it wouldn't. By cutting something in half, you're essentially making it into two separate objects.
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
Uncle Fester
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Uncle Fester »

Are you sure about that? You're not separating two touching objects, you're modifying one object into two.

I don't question that a saw or knife is a wedge; the issue is about the way the rule is written. So many times, a rule or new definition gets added because someone has a different vision of what's expected to happen than you -- but they managed to get the attention of the event writers.

Always ask yourself, "Am I doing what the rules actually SAY?" It should be simple and obvious -- once you start having to argue about it, you're skating on thin ice, and results aren't guaranteed.

Strongly suggest asking at a higher level, if you still feel strongly about it.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
watermydoing14
Division: C
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

I think I misinterpreted the question. If you are looking to cut something in half within the machine (so that the machine is autonomously cutting something in half), then I wouldn't be sure that would count as a wedge. I'd suggest submitting an FAQ on soinc.org
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather »

Another wedge question -

Does pulling a paperclip out of a hole with a string count as a wedge? It's separating two solid objects - I guess the string would be the wedge, and the paperclip and the hole in a solid would be the two solid objects?
as_ap

Post by as_ap »

Yeah, I think you have to split two touching things. An example is the wedge can split dominoes. Better to be safe than sorry. But, yes, you should submit a FAQ to Soinc to clarify. That's best.
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

mommyjo2 wrote:The rules say the wedge must separate two touching objects. Does cutting something in half count? i.e., chopping a board in half or dividing a piece of putty or cutting a string.
HeatherFeather wrote:Another wedge question - Does pulling a paperclip out of a hole with a string count as a wedge? It's separating two solid objects - I guess the string would be the wedge, and the paperclip and the hole in a solid would be the two solid objects?
Try to make the wedge step as obvious as possible. For example, have a wedge resting above two pieces of wood. Then have a mass fall on top of the wedge, driving the wedge down between the two pieces of wood, separating them. The moving wood can trigger the next step.
biz11
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by biz11 »

If I have a piece of paper which is stopping sand from falling, and that piece of paper is pulled away, does that count as a wedge?
Mount Nittany MS (2014-2017)
State College HS (2017-2020)
Penn State (2020-2024)
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

Uncle Fester wrote:Are you sure about that? You're not separating two touching objects, you're modifying one object into two.

I don't question that a saw or knife is a wedge; the issue is about the way the rule is written. So many times, a rule or new definition gets added because someone has a different vision of what's expected to happen than you -- but they managed to get the attention of the event writers.

Always ask yourself, "Am I doing what the rules actually SAY?" It should be simple and obvious -- once you start having to argue about it, you're skating on thin ice, and results aren't guaranteed.

Strongly suggest asking at a higher level, if you still feel strongly about it.
If the racquetball closes a pair of scissors, which cuts a string, which drops a mass, which pulls a car up a ramp via pulleys ...

Does that get documented as Lever -> Pulley (+ points, as long as the scissor business is documented), or would that be documented as Lever -> Wedge (no points, but the scissor IS a wedge), and Wedge -> Pulley (+ points)? Or would that vary from supervisor to supervisor?
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
DankMcIntosh
State: ID

Post by DankMcIntosh »

At states, my partner had to get mediation because of a wedge question. (Luckily, she won :)) What was decided was that the rules are as simple as they get - as long ad they SEPARATE two touching objects, it counts. My suggestion is take the rules literally.
ID - States/Nationals 2017
Meteo -/-
Invasives -/-
Fast Facts -/-
Mission Possible
2016 Events ID - States/Nats 2016
Meteorology 4/42
WIDI 1/-
Mission Possible 12/44
Road Scholar -/51
St. Joseph's Catholic School 2013-16

Return to “Mission Possible B”