Inclined Plane

as_ap
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inclined Plane

Post by as_ap »

In the rules, it says that for inclined planes and object has to be pulled or pushed up the plane at least 10 cm. When it says up, does it have to move upwards or can it move either way?
(See attachment for example)
Attachments
Inclined Planes Question.jpg
fuddermuffin777
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Inclined Plane

Post by fuddermuffin777 »

The object can move either way, so don't worry! Hope this clarifies things. :D
Zyfenhinger

Post by Zyfenhinger »

fudder - where are you getting clarification that either way is ok? The rules clearly state that it must be pushed or pulled "up".
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Judging by the rules, I would say that the object needs to be pulled up. Note that any opinions expressed here are unofficial; if you want an official response, you should submit a FAQ.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
reed303

Post by reed303 »

Unome wrote:Judging by the rules, I would say that the object needs to be pulled up. Note that any opinions expressed here are unofficial; if you want an official response, you should submit a FAQ.
ISTM the existing Rules Clarification dated 10/13/15 at https://www.soinc.org/official_rules_clarif that states:
"Mission Possible B: 4.d.iii. first sentence should read "Inclined Planes must be stationary and have an object pushed or pulled at least 10cm up and along the surface of the inclined plane to count for points.(10/13/15)" clearly allows pushing or pulling, and only in the upward direction.
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
DankMcIntosh
State: ID

Post by DankMcIntosh »

GUYS! IDK if it's too late, but all IPs must be pulled UP!!! Learned that the hard way. I suggest using a pulley with an IMA of 2-3 to have enough power to be pulled up. I speak from personal experience, and quote the MisPo official at IDSO.
ID - States/Nationals 2017
Meteo -/-
Invasives -/-
Fast Facts -/-
Mission Possible
2016 Events ID - States/Nats 2016
Meteorology 4/42
WIDI 1/-
Mission Possible 12/44
Road Scholar -/51
St. Joseph's Catholic School 2013-16
Unome

Post by Unome »

DankMcIntosh wrote:GUYS! IDK if it's too late, but all IPs must be pulled UP!!! Learned that the hard way. I suggest using a pulley with an IMA of 2-3 to have enough power to be pulled up. I speak from personal experience, and quote the MisPo official at IDSO.
I'm not that familiar with Mission, but I think this is exactly what the post before you (from several months ago) stated, along with the relevant FAQ.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
DankMcIntosh
State: ID

Post by DankMcIntosh »

Unome wrote:
DankMcIntosh wrote:GUYS! IDK if it's too late, but all IPs must be pulled UP!!! Learned that the hard way. I suggest using a pulley with an IMA of 2-3 to have enough power to be pulled up. I speak from personal experience, and quote the MisPo official at IDSO.
I'm not that familiar with Mission, but I think this is exactly what the post before you (from several months ago) stated, along with the relevant FAQ.
Yea, but it was uncertain - we got OFFICIAL review that DIRECTLY stated that it needs to be PULLED UP.
ID - States/Nationals 2017
Meteo -/-
Invasives -/-
Fast Facts -/-
Mission Possible
2016 Events ID - States/Nats 2016
Meteorology 4/42
WIDI 1/-
Mission Possible 12/44
Road Scholar -/51
St. Joseph's Catholic School 2013-16
Unome

Post by Unome »

DankMcIntosh wrote:
Unome wrote:
Yea, but it was uncertain - we got OFFICIAL review that DIRECTLY stated that it needs to be PULLED UP.
If I'm reading your post correctly, you got an official opinion that is only applicable within the state of Idaho, within which all competitions have finished. Even if the person you asked happened to be the national event supervisor for Mission, this would not be an official opinion nationally (although that would mean that it would likely be that way at nationals).
Userpage

sciolyFTW_aku
Division: C
State: MO

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

Follow what the rule states: the object must go up and along the surface of the inclined plane 10 cm.
B-)

Return to “Mission Possible B”