Scores

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4265
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Scores

Post by Unome » May 5th, 2016, 1:15 pm

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Does anyone think that a score that's greater than 1200 is possible at nationals?
Calculate the max score with a perfect box at 40 x 40 x 40 and I'd estimate the high scores to be at or approaching that level (based on reading past threads, no personal experience) assuming there are no limitless bonuses this year.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

sciolyFTW_aku
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: June 10th, 2015, 11:48 am
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores

Post by sciolyFTW_aku » May 5th, 2016, 3:22 pm

Unome wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Does anyone think that a score that's greater than 1200 is possible at nationals?
Calculate the max score with a perfect box at 40 x 40 x 40 and I'd estimate the high scores to be at or approaching that level (based on reading past threads, no personal experience) assuming there are no limitless bonuses this year.
Assuming that the ideal time is 100 seconds, the score of the perfect machine would be 1210.
B-)

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4265
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Scores

Post by Unome » May 5th, 2016, 5:14 pm

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
Unome wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Does anyone think that a score that's greater than 1200 is possible at nationals?
Calculate the max score with a perfect box at 40 x 40 x 40 and I'd estimate the high scores to be at or approaching that level (based on reading past threads, no personal experience) assuming there are no limitless bonuses this year.
Assuming that the ideal time is 100 seconds, the score of the perfect machine would be 1210.
My bet: the target time will be a prime number (channeling Uncle Fester's knowledge here).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

DankMcIntosh
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: March 28th, 2016, 3:35 pm
Division: Grad
State: ID
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores

Post by DankMcIntosh » May 5th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Unome wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
Unome wrote: Calculate the max score with a perfect box at 40 x 40 x 40 and I'd estimate the high scores to be at or approaching that level (based on reading past threads, no personal experience) assuming there are no limitless bonuses this year.
Assuming that the ideal time is 100 seconds, the score of the perfect machine would be 1210.
My bet: the target time will be a prime number (channeling Uncle Fester's knowledge here).
I'm not sure on the target time - I'm gonna just play it safe and go to 90 ish. We don't want to be over the time. At states the target time was 72 seconds - we came closest with 59 seconds :cry:
ID - States/Nationals 2017
Meteo -/-
Invasives -/-
Fast Facts -/-
Mission Possible
2016 Events ID - States/Nats 2016
Meteorology 4/42
WIDI 1/-
Mission Possible 12/44
Road Scholar -/51
St. Joseph's Catholic School 2013-16
Image

sciolyFTW_aku
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: June 10th, 2015, 11:48 am
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores

Post by sciolyFTW_aku » May 5th, 2016, 7:02 pm

DankMcIntosh wrote:
Unome wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
Assuming that the ideal time is 100 seconds, the score of the perfect machine would be 1210.
My bet: the target time will be a prime number (channeling Uncle Fester's knowledge here).
I'm not sure on the target time - I'm gonna just play it safe and go to 90 ish. We don't want to be over the time. At states the target time was 72 seconds - we came closest with 59 seconds :cry:
Well, it's better if you get 10 seconds above the target time than below it...
B-)

User avatar
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 296
Joined: February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scores

Post by dragonfruit35 » May 6th, 2016, 12:52 pm

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
DankMcIntosh wrote:
Unome wrote: My bet: the target time will be a prime number (channeling Uncle Fester's knowledge here).
I'm not sure on the target time - I'm gonna just play it safe and go to 90 ish. We don't want to be over the time. At states the target time was 72 seconds - we came closest with 59 seconds :cry:
Well, it's better if you get 10 seconds above the target time than below it...
Yep. For every second up to the TT you get 2 pts, and you only lose one for every second above the TT. So if your score would be 1000 if you hit the TT exactly, your score would be 980 when 10s below and 990 when 10s above. :)
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"you have no idea how high i can fly." - michael g. scott

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4265
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Scores

Post by Unome » May 6th, 2016, 1:46 pm

DankMcIntosh wrote:
Unome wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
Assuming that the ideal time is 100 seconds, the score of the perfect machine would be 1210.
My bet: the target time will be a prime number (channeling Uncle Fester's knowledge here).
I'm not sure on the target time - I'm gonna just play it safe and go to 90 ish. We don't want to be over the time. At states the target time was 72 seconds - we came closest with 59 seconds :cry:
I'd think that it shouldn't really matter what specifically the target time is, so long as you can adjust your device to anything within the 60-180 second range... (or have I misinterpreted the rules? This is like the distances in the vehicle events right?)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

sciolyFTW_aku
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: June 10th, 2015, 11:48 am
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores

Post by sciolyFTW_aku » May 6th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Unome wrote: I'd think that it shouldn't really matter what specifically the target time is, so long as you can adjust your device to anything within the 60-180 second range... (or have I misinterpreted the rules? This is like the distances in the vehicle events right?)
Well, the size limitations are 60 cm by 60 cm by 60 cm at the Regionals, State, and National level. Also, the time range for the TT is 90-120 seconds at nationals.
B-)

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4265
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Scores

Post by Unome » May 6th, 2016, 5:00 pm

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
Unome wrote: I'd think that it shouldn't really matter what specifically the target time is, so long as you can adjust your device to anything within the 60-180 second range... (or have I misinterpreted the rules? This is like the distances in the vehicle events right?)
Well, the size limitations are 60 cm by 60 cm by 60 cm at the Regionals, State, and National level. Also, the time range for the TT is 90-120 seconds at nationals.
Yes, but the original comment seemed to imply that DankMcIntosh is presetting his device to a certain time, rather than making it adjustable and setting it in the thirty minute setup period.

Wait is the high end 120 seconds now? Didn't it used to be 180 at some point? Or was that only Div C?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 296
Joined: February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scores

Post by dragonfruit35 » May 7th, 2016, 7:17 am

Unome wrote:
sciolyFTW_aku wrote:
Unome wrote: I'd think that it shouldn't really matter what specifically the target time is, so long as you can adjust your device to anything within the 60-180 second range... (or have I misinterpreted the rules? This is like the distances in the vehicle events right?)
Well, the size limitations are 60 cm by 60 cm by 60 cm at the Regionals, State, and National level. Also, the time range for the TT is 90-120 seconds at nationals.
Yes, but the original comment seemed to imply that DankMcIntosh is presetting his device to a certain time, rather than making it adjustable and setting it in the thirty minute setup period.

Wait is the high end 120 seconds now? Didn't it used to be 180 at some point? Or was that only Div C?
I think 180 was when they stop time no matter what, like that's the maximum amount of time it can go if it fails. So if your timewaster was still running after the Target Time, they wouldn't stop it until 180s.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"you have no idea how high i can fly." - michael g. scott

Locked

Return to “Mission Possible B”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest