Tournament Scheduling

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Tournament Scheduling

Post by Unome »

Can anyone give me a good description of the various ways to schedule Mission for a tournament (e.g. team arrive 30 min before individual signup time, 6-10 teams run in a single hour-long block, etc) and their pros and cons, when they're most useful, etc?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Re: Tournament Scheduling

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote:Can anyone give me a good description of the various ways to schedule Mission for a tournament (e.g. team arrive 30 min before individual signup time, 6-10 teams run in a single hour-long block, etc) and their pros and cons, when they're most useful, etc?
You've pretty much hit the 2 options: individual signups (although note typically teams START setup at their signup time, not 30 mins before) or blocks . I've seen both work at big tournaments equally well, but generally I prefer the individual online signups if you have the ability to support those. Note that just because there are individual slots doesn't mean they are guaranteed to stay on time anymore than having blocks assures that - delays always happen, which is why it's important to have 'buffer time' between blocks. If you go with blocks, generally all teams start setup at the same time, then whichever if ready first gets judged while the others have to sit around and wait (which can be annoying to the competitors). You also generally have to give the teams a minute before judging to turn on any electric devices, because you don't want them running down the batteries while they stand around waiting for judges to become available.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Unome

Post by Unome »

chalker wrote:
Unome wrote:Can anyone give me a good description of the various ways to schedule Mission for a tournament (e.g. team arrive 30 min before individual signup time, 6-10 teams run in a single hour-long block, etc) and their pros and cons, when they're most useful, etc?
You've pretty much hit the 2 options: individual signups (although note typically teams START setup at their signup time, not 30 mins before) or blocks . I've seen both work at big tournaments equally well, but generally I prefer the individual online signups if you have the ability to support those. Note that just because there are individual slots doesn't mean they are guaranteed to stay on time anymore than having blocks assures that - delays always happen, which is why it's important to have 'buffer time' between blocks. If you go with blocks, generally all teams start setup at the same time, then whichever if ready first gets judged while the others have to sit around and wait (which can be annoying to the competitors). You also generally have to give the teams a minute before judging to turn on any electric devices, because you don't want them running down the batteries while they stand around waiting for judges to become available.
So about how often can individual times be run? Would 6-8 per 50 minutes be alright?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote: So about how often can individual times be run? Would 6-8 per 50 minutes be alright?
8 would be too much if you have only 1 set of judges. Keep in mind the device run time is 2-3 minutes, but it takes a while before that for the team to walk the judges through each step of the TSL to see that it corresponds to the device. Lots of tournament run with 2 sets of judges in order to ensure there is enough time to examine each device.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Unome

Post by Unome »

chalker wrote:
Unome wrote: So about how often can individual times be run? Would 6-8 per 50 minutes be alright?
8 would be too much if you have only 1 set of judges. Keep in mind the device run time is 2-3 minutes, but it takes a while before that for the team to walk the judges through each step of the TSL to see that it corresponds to the device. Lots of tournament run with 2 sets of judges in order to ensure there is enough time to examine each device.
Ok, thanks. I'll have to ask the people more familiar with Mission if they can get that many people; if not, we should be able to manage with another slot.
Userpage

texas
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by texas »

Unome wrote:
chalker wrote:
Ok, thanks. I'll have to ask the people more familiar with Mission if they can get that many people; if not, we should be able to manage with another slot.
At nationals this year, there were 60 teams doing Mission Possible and 6 time slots. I'm not sure how many judges there were, because I wasn't there. At my state tournament, though, there were 2-3 event supervisors at a time, but only one of them was actually judging us.
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
Unome

Post by Unome »

texas wrote:
Unome wrote:
chalker wrote:
At nationals this year, there were 60 teams doing Mission Possible and 6 time slots. I'm not sure how many judges there were, because I wasn't there. At my state tournament, though, there were 2-3 event supervisors at a time, but only one of them was actually judging us.
Based on previous years, I think Nationals usually uses three sets of judges (or at least they did in the early 2000s). The lists of event supervisors from recent years also seems to support this.
Userpage

Return to “Mission Possible B”