Materials/Kits

Less_Incidence
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Materials/Kits

Post by Less_Incidence »

My slightly modified (slightly smaller wingspan to be flown in AMA Standard Catapult) SO Lit'lSweep kit from a couple of years ago did 28.0 and 28.4-second flights in a 35' ceiling at high elevation, about equivalent to a 25-27' site at sea level (at least according to SCLG world record holder Bill Gowen). They are very capable gliders, and are much easier to trim and adjust than flappers. I've found the 1/32" thick wood on the wing on the Lit'lSweep a bit unusual, but given most beginning builders' (lack of) sanding ability, it seems reasonable to start at such a low thickness.
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016
Dr_Scherms

Post by Dr_Scherms »

seadog wrote:What are the major changes in the rules this year? Anyone know?
We don't have the rules as yet :(
Thanks in advance..
Really just the wingspan cannot be more 30.0 cm. They also refer to the launcher as an "apparatus" instead of a launcher. That's really it.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Dr_Scherms wrote:
seadog wrote:What are the major changes in the rules this year? Anyone know?
We don't have the rules as yet :(
Thanks in advance..
Really just the wingspan cannot be more 30.0 cm. They also refer to the launcher as an "apparatus" instead of a launcher. That's really it.
Also, mass of glider must be between 3.5 and 10.0 grams (3.c.). Last year's rule was mass of glider must be between 4.0 and 10.0 grams (3.d.).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Fanglin
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

Last year, I used the Freedom Flight glider kit. I found that kit to be more of a tedious build, but definitely worth the time. It is also very cheep (compared to others). I had no problem with the weight, which was actually only about 4 grams. This year, because the 2015-2016 glider from Freedom flight has not come out yet, I have just converted last year's gliders into the new standards. With the new version of the 2015 glider, I got about 30 seconds consistently in a 30ft gym.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
Less_Incidence
State: CO

Post by Less_Incidence »

Freedom Flight makes excellent kits. Like we've stated previously, design is not the main factor in this event - trimming and testing is. The main design variance is in flappers vs. non-flappers, and I personally don't think that trying to trim a flapper is the best idea for a team building their first glider. Weight shouldn't be an issue with any design, as an experienced modeler can build a glider of these dimensions down to 1.5 grams. My lightweight gliders are usually slightly over 2 grams and I don't have particularly extensive experience.

I've been casually flying gliders for a few years (Twice in SO) and haven't ever managed to build a functional flapper. Beyond the first glider for learning, though, feel free to experiment and try whatever. Just know that flappers are significantly more difficult to trim.

1 foot per second is an excellent sink rate, and probably near optimal. The next step would be to make fine adjustments to flap camber, et cetera for optimization. Sounds like you've heard this before and know what you're doing, though. :)
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016
KSSOISLIT
State: KS

Post by KSSOISLIT »

So I was interested in trying out the Freedom Flight kit and I wanted to know how long flight times are with it, along with ceiling height, or how many seconds per vertical foot people are getting. Thanks!
Olathe North High School
[b]Past Events:[/b] Anatomy, Bridges, Crime Busters, ELG, Helicopters, Mission Possible, Towers
[b]2019 Events:[/b] Boom, Fermi, Forensics, Protein, Wright Stuff

Return to “Elastic Launch Glider B”