Materials/Kits

cdemoura
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Materials/Kits

Post by cdemoura »

Where can I buy materials kit for Elastic Launch Glider? Please help and give your advice. Thanks! ;)
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Materials/Kits

Post by bernard »

Freedom Flight Models sells a kit used by many students; the new kit hasn't been released, but I'd expect it to be released early November.

If you aren't using a kit or want extra materials...

Balsa can be found at your local hobby shop and you can inspect each piece of wood before purchasing. Online suppliers I've used include Specialized Balsa and National Balsa; If ordering online, I like Specialized Balsa better since I can specify densities/grain.

Glue can be found at your local hobby shop or online (National Balsa also sells this).

Carbon tow can be found online (e.g. The Composites Store).

Sand paper can be found at your local home improvement store or hobby shop or online.

Clay can be found at your local arts and crafts store, hobby shop, or online.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

I saw the prototype of the Freedom Flight ELG on Friday. Dave is a good builder and it is a beautiful bird. Flew it outside to a launch height of 30 + feet. Beautiful turn to glide. Flew for 25 seconds until it hit the side of the house about 10+ feet up. (closer to 15')
His glider will do better than 1 second per foot in most venues. My kids last year could not build that well
He is trying out another source for laser cutting, but I would expect the kit to be available in Oct. (Wright stuff will be a bit later)
seadog
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by seadog »

What are the major changes in the rules this year? Anyone know?
We don't have the rules as yet :(
Thanks in advance..
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

The major changes were reduction of the wingspan from 32 to 30 cm and min weight is now 3.5 grams.
Some very minor wording changes to the launch apparatus.
seadog
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by seadog »

Thank you so much. 3.5 gm - that will be the hard part.
Daquan

Post by Daquan »

I am having trouble understanding how to make a testing apparatus can someone please explain this to me?
Thank You
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Daquan wrote:I am having trouble understanding how to make a testing apparatus can someone please explain this to me?
Thank You
What is this testing apparatus you are referring to? To the best of my knowledge there isn't one that teams use. Unless you are referring to the launching apparatus...
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Daquan

Post by Daquan »

bernard wrote:
Daquan wrote:I am having trouble understanding how to make a testing apparatus can someone please explain this to me?
Thank You
What is this testing apparatus you are referring to? To the best of my knowledge there isn't one that teams use. Unless you are referring to the launching apparatus...
Sorry for the misunderstanding i meant launching apparatus.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Daquan wrote:
bernard wrote:
Thank You
Sorry for the misunderstanding i meant launching apparatus.
A launching apparatus can be as simple or complicated as you want. For a simple one that can do just as well as a complicated one, take a wooden dowel, drill a hole near the end, thread a rubber band through, and tie a knot in the rubber band. Super simple.

You can make a slightly more complicated one like the one posted by fifty_missions last season. You could also add a plumb bob to measure angle and a ruler to measure how far you're stretching the rubber band before launch. Not sure how useful the ruler or plumb bob would be since I've never used them, just some ideas.

Return to “Elastic Launch Glider B”