Circular flight

_jaeholee+
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Circular flight

Post by _jaeholee+ »

How do you make the gliders fly in a circular direction?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Circular flight

Post by Unome »

If I remember correctly, tilting the wings will cause the glider to turn in the direction of the elevated wing (but don't take my word for it; this is residual knowledge picked up from people who actually do this event).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Less_Incidence
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Less_Incidence »

On my gliders I don't use an elevated wing as Unome said, I prefer to induce all the turn with rudder.

When you build your glider, the rudder or vertical stabilizer should have its trailing edge off to one side relative to the leading edge. I like my gliders to turn to the right, so I glue the rudder to the right side of the fuselage, only gluing the front of the rudder in place, and then using shims and the natural springiness of the balsa wood to push the trailing edge of the rudder out further to the right, so that the amount of turn is adjustable for flying spaces of various sizes.
2015-16 Events: (CMHS Invitational/Southern CO Regional/CO State)
Wright Stuff: //
Chem Lab: //
Electric Vehicle: //
Bridge Building: //

Lewis-Palmer High School class of 2016
_jaeholee+

Post by _jaeholee+ »

Thanks.
fifty_missions
Division: C
State: IN

Post by fifty_missions »

There are a multitude of options for inducing a turn. The last is to use rudder! Excessive rudder deflection can induce a roll on a high speed launch.

1) Slight stabilizer tilt- to turn left the port stabilizer needs to be tilted about 2 degrees higher than the starboard tip.
2) Bend the trailing edge of the wing down if it is opposite the inboard wing of the turn. For instance, to turn to post (left) bend the trailing edge of the starboard wing down a couple of degrees.
3) For more turn left, bend the leading edge of the starboard (right) wing up a couple of degrees.
4) Reverse the above to orbit right.

Good Luck.

Return to “Elastic Launch Glider B”