Requesting Help for Launcher and Flight Log

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Requesting Help for Launcher and Flight Log

Post by retired1 »

According to high speed video that Bill Gowan did (he holds several indoor glider and rubber band records) it is not hitting the stick, but the snap back of the rubber band is hitting the wing.
In my opinion, based on seeing last years state event, a launch stick made out of a 1 x 2 smooth wood of a desired and legal length is the answer. Glue a couple of inches of the wood on the underside of the 1 x 2. Now take and round over the end. A bench sander really helps. You will end up with about a 1.5" curve . Attach a dowel or stick to the underside for a hand hold-- probably about 1/4 of the way back from the launch end. Move as desired. You can attach the rubber band in any number of ways to the bottom side of the curved nose block--I would guess about an inch or so back.
This device makes it far easier to establish a vertical and a rotational angle for you launch. It is also far more repeatable than a plain dowel. You can add all kinds of bells and whistles but they might not do much good unless you practice a lot!!
m_visswanathan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Requesting Help for Launcher and Flight Log

Post by m_visswanathan »

Thank you everyone for helping me very much.

I finally figured out a launcher that works so thank you for helping me out.

Return to “Elastic Launch Glider B”