Why are wings elevated on posts

TSOlympian
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why are wings elevated on posts

Post by TSOlympian »

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why are wings and horizontal stabilizers elevated on posts? If they were glued flat onto the motorstick/tailboom, would that be okay?
Last edited by TSOlympian on January 27th, 2016, 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0ddrenaline
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Why are wings elevated on posts?

Post by 0ddrenaline »

I don't know if it's the only reason, but it allows for better air flow on the wing. It eliminates the air obstructions (propeller, fuselage)
nxtscholar
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Why are wings elevated on posts

Post by nxtscholar »

TSOlympian wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why are wings and horizontal stabilizers elevated on posts? If they were glued flat onto the motorstick/tailboom, would that be okay?
First of all, it's not a dumb question! Asking is part of science after all.

So in an oversimplification: To answer your question, it's to adjust what is known as the angle of incidence. if you look at your plane from the side, you will see that the wins/stabilizers will make an angle with the motorstick. You can adjust that angle by adjusting your posts. If you glued your wings and stabs directly to the motorsick/tailboom, you wouldn't be able to adjust the angle. And the angle of incidence is a considerable factor in determining whether your airplane flies smoothly or not.

Also, just a practical pointer, it's easier to store and transport planes if your main wings are detachable from your motorstick. It's hard to do that if it were glued; you'd need a big box
_deltaV
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Why are wings elevated on posts

Post by _deltaV »

Not sure how true this is but I was told by someone at a tournament that elevating the wings also helps get them out of the wash of the propeller. Sounds right but I don't know how true it is. Another thought I had is it raises the center of mass of the plane to slightly above the motor stick and thus makes it harder to rotate laterally.
Boca Raton High School
- Helicopters - Microbe Mission
- Chem Lab - Experimental Design

"Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down." -Adam Savage

Return to “Wright Stuff C”