Begginer Plane Advice

AstroJens
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Begginer Plane Advice

Post by AstroJens »

Hello, I'm pretty new to the forums and I just wanted some advice, so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section or if someone else has already answered this.

My Science Olympiad regionals cancelled Wright Stuff so I was unable to compete then, but since we made it to States, they picked it back up again. So in an effort to not dissapoint my school and teacher, I am tasked with building the plane. So I was just wondering if anyone could guide me to the right places. I already know most of my basics and I have built my first plane (It flew for less than 30 seconds because I didn't have the correct rubber, but I was able to fly in a large circle before dropping). I just need to maybe have a good kit, or maybe a some links to read up on certain advanced topics, such as "washin effect" (sorry if I am saying it wrong, I just have seen it mentioned when building the wing).

If anyone could tell me some basic kits, or advanced terms I would need to know I would appreciate it thank you. (Sorry if I sound like I someone asking for everything, I'm just cluttered with all this information and I just want to know where some of you learned how to do this event when you first started)

(If I attached it right, there should be some images of my initial plane. It's based off of Chuck Markos's design, but I still need to work on minimizing weight and getting better balsa wood. The current rubber I'm using is just above average and lubricated with soap and water to get around 280 winds before breaking. I already ordered Tan SS rubber and a winder and it should be coming soon)
Attachments
Plane.JPG
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Re: Begginer Plane Advice

Post by Bazinga+ »

AstroJens wrote:Hello, I'm pretty new to the forums and I just wanted some advice, so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section or if someone else has already answered this.

My Science Olympiad regionals cancelled Wright Stuff so I was unable to compete then, but since we made it to States, they picked it back up again. So in an effort to not dissapoint my school and teacher, I am tasked with building the plane. So I was just wondering if anyone could guide me to the right places. I already know most of my basics and I have built my first plane (It flew for less than 30 seconds because I didn't have the correct rubber, but I was able to fly in a large circle before dropping). I just need to maybe have a good kit, or maybe a some links to read up on certain advanced topics, such as "washin effect" (sorry if I am saying it wrong, I just have seen it mentioned when building the wing).

If anyone could tell me some basic kits, or advanced terms I would need to know I would appreciate it thank you. (Sorry if I sound like I someone asking for everything, I'm just cluttered with all this information and I just want to know where some of you learned how to do this event when you first started)

(If I attached it right, there should be some images of my initial plane. It's based off of Chuck Markos's design, but I still need to work on minimizing weight and getting better balsa wood. The current rubber I'm using is just above average and lubricated with soap and water to get around 280 winds before breaking. I already ordered Tan SS rubber and a winder and it should be coming soon)
If you are be a to write stuff I really recommend buying Dave Ziegler's kit (freedom flights). Its a great starting kit and he has a great booklet with most of what you need to know about this event. If you get his kit and thoroughly iread through the packet I'm sure you can easily get top 6 at your states. Of course the kit is not necessary and some of the best planes in the nation were custom built, but I'm pretty sure most of those people started out with a kit.
Also try getting actual rubber lubricant and experimenting with different sized rubber.
Innovation =/= success
retired1
Division: Grad

Post by retired1 »

The Chuck Markos design is a very good one. The nice part about the Freedom Flight kit is you get good rubber, good balsa and good instructions. Be sure to thoroughly read the instructions before starting. If you got a 30 sec flight off of 480 turns and no winder you should do quite well with good rubber, a good winder and son of a gun for a lubricant. It is late in the year, and this is the last year in the cycle, but a torque meter is a great asset for really competitive flying. It is helicopters next year and it is of some help in that event also.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

retired1 wrote:The Chuck Markos design is a very good one. The nice part about the Freedom Flight kit is you get good rubber, good balsa and good instructions. Be sure to thoroughly read the instructions before starting. If you got a 30 sec flight off of 480 turns and no winder you should do quite well with good rubber, a good winder and son of a gun for a lubricant. It is late in the year, and this is the last year in the cycle, but a torque meter is a great asset for really competitive flying. It is helicopters next year and it is of some help in that event also.
Is it heli next year? Cause I know they don't always strictly follow event rotations especially with tech. But if it is I can't wait.
Innovation =/= success
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by dcrxcode »

According to the tentative Summer Institute list (it's somewhere on this forum), it will be helicopters next year. But the list is tentative, so we'll see.
AstroJens

Post by AstroJens »

Thank you everyone for the advice, I appreciate it! So, I mean other than that it's just testing and making sure my plane flies right. What times can usually get you placed you at states? 2-3 minutes I'm guessing?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

AstroJens wrote:Thank you everyone for the advice, I appreciate it! So, I mean other than that it's just testing and making sure my plane flies right. What times can usually get you placed you at states? 2-3 minutes I'm guessing?
This depends greatly on what state you're in.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
AstroJens

Post by AstroJens »

Well I understand that, I was just wondering overall in all the states what times usually sit around. Because I think on the Science Olympiad Wiki Wright Stuff page it said nationals usually had planes from 3-4 minutes. Just curious that's all. (I'm in Florida if you would happen to what the times are here).
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Bazinga+ »

AstroJens wrote:Well I understand that, I was just wondering overall in all the states what times usually sit around. Because I think on the Science Olympiad Wiki Wright Stuff page it said nationals usually had planes from 3-4 minutes. Just curious that's all. (I'm in Florida if you would happen to what the times are here).
I think that in competitive states times of around 2 minutes will get you top 6. In less competitive states you can make it to top 6 with 1:30. I'm considering last years scores and how this years scores compare to last year's considering the harder specs.
Innovation =/= success
Chris_L
State: CA

Post by Chris_L »

Concerning the above, a good state will have times between three to four minutes with the bonus. That should guarantee a medal.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"

Return to “Wright Stuff C”