Rubber & Winder Advice

AstroJens
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rubber & Winder Advice

Post by AstroJens »

Hey, so I need help understanding how to cut the rubber. I had ordered 2 packs of rubber and when they came, it turned out they were actually 2 long pieces of rubber. I have a freedom flight kit at home and it also contains 3 different long pieces of rubber. Now I also have ordered a pound of rubber and it should be coming soon. So my question is, what length do I cut the rubber? Is there a specific length or will the Freedom Flight Kit tell me once I read the directions?

I also want to make sure not to waste rubber. So in an effort not to waste rubber is there a specific way I should use the winder? Could someone possibly link me a video possibly that demonstrates proper winding. Also I have seen people say to use Armor-All as the lubricant, is this the best or like 100% silicon.

Also how can I look at last year's forum on Wright Stuff. There is so many questions I have, and I'm sure that someone has probably answered them, so could someone tell me how to read last year's forums.

Thanks! :)

(When I can I will post the lengths of the rubber and type of rubber I have)
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Re: Rubber & Winder Advice

Post by andrewwski »

Cut the rubber to just under the maximum weight allowable (I think 1.5 g this year, but check your copy of the rules). Be aware that if you use o-rings, they count toward the mass of the motor. In any case, you want to be as close to the maximum weight possible without going over. That will give you the most turns.

To wind the motor, most flyers here will recommend winding off the plane so that you don't risk damaging the plane if the rubber breaks.

Begin by stretching the motor to about 5 times it's original length. Put about half of the turns in, then start walking forward as you wind so that as you're putting in the last turns, the motor is approximately the length you'll need to fit it on the plane. This will take some practice, and be prepared to break several motors to determine how many winds you can hold.

Armor All works fine as a lubricant. Some prefer a more viscous silicone lubricant, but they can get messy. It seems to come down to personal preference.

Also make sure you wash the rubber in soap and water before first use - often it comes packed with talc powder, which can create micro-cuts in it when wound.
doge
Division: C
State: DC
Been thanked: 0

Post by doge »

AstroJens wrote: Also how can I look at last year's forum on Wright Stuff. There is so many questions I have, and I'm sure that someone has probably answered them, so could someone tell me how to read last year's forums.
Here are the building forums from last year: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=188
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

And don't worry about wasting rubber. If you have a pound you have enough for several hundred motors. Something like 300 at 1.5 gm apiece. Even with wast that will be more than 200. You won't succeed without breaking rubber bands and wearing out motors. Don't be afraid to USE them.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “Wright Stuff C”