Georgia 2016

Jaol
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Georgia 2016

Post by Jaol »

ellesbelles wrote:Anyone else think the Invasive Species test was incredibly easy? We had lots of time left over and it was a disadvantage for people who had studied a lot. The State Entomology test also disappointed me, since there was like no identification at all.
What was it like just out of curiosity. Was it a PowerPoint, printed out stations, or maybe a paper test? If it was stations how many questions per station and how much time did you have for each station?
Unome

Post by Unome »

ellesbelles wrote:Anyone else think the Invasive Species test was incredibly easy? We had lots of time left over and it was a disadvantage for people who had studied a lot. The State Entomology test also disappointed me, since there was like no identification at all.
I didn't do Invasives, but Astronomy was 29 multiple choice questions and one tiebreaker, and Dynamic Planet was 5 questions free-response with multiple sections, so it was like the equivalent of 20-25 questions multiple choice (still way too short of course). But that's how it tends to go; it's harder to get event sups when they can't rely on coaches.

Also, raw scores have been posted (except for Protein, and the page sizes are a bit off), so now we I can all go and look in-depth at all of our scores! (and potentially agonize over losing by a twentieth of a point)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ellesbelles
Division: C
State: FL

Post by ellesbelles »

It was a stationed event, but the questions were printed onto a power point, and there were 2 questions per slide. There was a total of 12 stations so 3:50 minutes per question and 10 seconds for transition, adding up to 48 minutes. For identification problems, one picture was provided.
aherthabey
State: MN

Post by aherthabey »

Unome wrote:
I didn't do Invasives, but Astronomy was 29 multiple choice questions and one tiebreaker, and Dynamic Planet was 5 questions free-response with multiple sections, so it was like the equivalent of 20-25 questions multiple choice (still way too short of course). But that's how it tends to go; it's harder to get event sups when they can't rely on coaches.

Also, raw scores have been posted (except for Protein, and the page sizes are a bit off), so now we I can all go and look in-depth at all of our scores! (and potentially agonize over losing by a twentieth of a point)
Wow, six rules violations issued in GeoLogic Mapping! Do you know what that was about?
Wayzata High School Science Olympiad 2013-2016
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

aherthabey wrote:
Unome wrote:

Wow, six rules violations issued in GeoLogic Mapping! Do you know what that was about?
Calculators and notes supposedly...
aherthabey
State: MN

Post by aherthabey »

Jaol wrote:
aherthabey wrote:
Unome wrote: I didn't do Invasives, but Astronomy was 29 multiple choice questions and one tiebreaker, and Dynamic Planet was 5 questions free-response with multiple sections, so it was like the equivalent of 20-25 questions multiple choice (still way too short of course). But that's how it tends to go; it's harder to get event sups when they can't rely on coaches.

Calculators and notes supposedly...
Both of which are allowed as per the rules, lol.
Wayzata High School Science Olympiad 2013-2016
Jaol

Post by Jaol »

aherthabey wrote:
Jaol wrote: Calculators and notes supposedly...
Yeah I know. Maybe the notes weren't in a binder and maybe the calculators were programmable?
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

samlan16 wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Yo boys, hope you enjoyed the 2016 tournament! You all did really well, and I hope you had fun.

That said, I ran the Forensics event and will likely be running it next year as well (unless astro frees up). Any feedback/thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Bit of stats on 4n6--highest score was 87/124, with a median score of around 46/124. Average was in the mid-40's/124.
Scoring was 3 pts per powder/hair/fiber (19*3 = 57 total points), 10 points for chromatography (3 pts per chromatogram, 2 points for having correct/reasonable Rf calculations, 2 pts for actual correct answer), 8 pts for all the mass spec (2 pts/2 pts/4pts), 6 points for the fingerprints(2 pts per question), and 3 points for the last bug question for 84 total points, not including analysis. Crime analysis was 40 points (32% of total score, per the rules).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
My reaction when seeing our score on 4n6:

I'm...sorry?
I dunno; the test was pretty hard. It didn't seem like much, but ID'ing that many powders/hairs/fibers was pretty tough--and I knew it. TLC chromatography is also quite a bit more complicated than its paper counterpart. I didn't expect a score over 100/124. It was pretty much where I wanted to be, and I was fairly pleased with the results. Gives people something to study for Nats or next year, ya know?
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Unome

Post by Unome »

Jaol wrote:
aherthabey wrote:
Jaol wrote: Calculators and notes supposedly...
Yeah I know. Maybe the notes weren't in a binder and maybe the calculators were programmable?
I think they were because teams had a graphing calculator (although a better way to fix that is to check as each person comes in and just tell them to put it away, as per General Rule 5)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
blueice
Division: C

Post by blueice »

Seems like the top 4 teams all improved their point scores drastically from last year leaving the rest of the field behind

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”