Florida 2016

Fluorine
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida 2016

Post by Fluorine »

Raw Scores from FAU Regionals were released. I know a few people who were waiting for them badly.

Notes:
Formatting on the file is pretty bad. You have to click past Divison B sheets to see Division C.

Also, I just wanted to discuss the facts about the regional comp. A few events had tests that had too few questions and were too easy. For example, green generation about 10 teams scored the same raw score. And it was a one point difference between 15th and 5th which is pretty bad. You can see other events with similar issues. Overall, I do not know if it was just because our team was better prepared, but the event quality at FAU this year was lower than usual. Also, in most events there was some fierce competition for top 6 places in events. There were mere questions/points separating 1-6th in most events.
Attachments
2015 Regional - FAU (fau) Results.xlsx
(106.5 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Alumni of FAUHS SO | Logistics Direcotor @ Cornell Scioly
Wind Power, Anatomy, Invasive Species, Materials Science, Optics, Entomology,
 Cell Biology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Fluorine wrote:Raw Scores from FAU Regionals were released. I know a few people who were waiting for them badly.

Notes:
Formatting on the file is pretty bad. You have to click past Divison B sheets to see Division C.

Also, I just wanted to discuss the facts about the regional comp. A few events had tests that had too few questions and were too easy. For example, green generation about 10 teams scored the same raw score. And it was a one point difference between 15th and 5th which is pretty bad. You can see other events with similar issues. Overall, I do not know if it was just because our team was better prepared, but the event quality at FAU this year was lower than usual. Also, in most events there was some fierce competition for top 6 places in events. There were mere questions/points separating 1-6th in most events.
Thanks!
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

Good luck to all the teams competing at States tomorrow at UCF!!!
Verdigris
Division: C

Post by Verdigris »

Fluorine wrote:Good luck to all the teams competing at States tomorrow at UCF!!!
Thanks, and ditto to all of the other teams ^^

EDIT 3/19: Congrats to Boca Raton and Archimedian in C for making nationals. ^^
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Div C State Results (the top teams all conveniently have names that start with letters near the beginning or the end of the alphabet):

1. Boca Raton A (103)
2. Archimedean Upper Conservatory A (143)
3. Boca Raton B (207)
4. Trinity Preparatory School (260)
5. Archimedean Upper Conservatory B (261)
Last edited by Unome on March 26th, 2016, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

Have Raw Scores here if anyone wants!! (Note Air Trajectory scores were removed due to "scoring issues")
Attachments
2016 FSO State (state) Results.xlsx
(120.27 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

Florida State Tournament Schedule is out!

I am not very happy with this schedule :( . For some reason, they thought that putting two ID events at the same time slot would be a good idea. I understand that they are in different categories (geology/life sciences) but they involve very similar skills. I can not be the only person who has put significant effort into specializing in ID events uhhhh. Guess I will have to pick up something else to do at states then.....
Attachments
Schedule Division C.pdf
(108.68 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Fluorine wrote:Florida State Tournament Schedule is out!

I am not very happy with this schedule :( . For some reason, they thought that putting two ID events at the same time slot would be a good idea. I understand that they are in different categories (geology/life sciences) but they involve very similar skills. I can not be the only person who has put significant effort into specializing in ID events uhhhh. Guess I will have to pick up something else to do at states then.....
I am a little surprised they did this. The florida state director is pretty involved in scioly nationally (presented me with one of my national medals) so I would suspect the florida state schedule is quite similar if not the same as the national schedule. Not a problem for me specifically, but still a problem in general...
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

windu34 wrote:

I am a little surprised they did this. The florida state director is pretty involved in scioly nationally (presented me with one of my national medals) so I would suspect the florida state schedule is quite similar if not the same as the national schedule. Not a problem for me specifically, but still a problem in general...
Still a bit confused in the schedule decisions. Microbe mission and ecology in the same block feels just weird to justify too. I'm debating on asking the director directly about his motivation in changing the schedule so much.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Fluorine wrote:
windu34 wrote:

Still a bit confused in the schedule decisions. Microbe mission and ecology in the same block feels just weird to justify too. I'm debating on asking the director directly about his motivation in changing the schedule so much.
The only possibility I can think of is that it has to do with event supervisor availability, but it doesn't look like it from the schedule. Just be glad your schedule comes out so early; almost no states have a schedule out this early. Here in Georgia it's considered unusual to get a schedule more than four weeks before the tournament date.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”