Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indiana 2016

Post by dcrxcode »

Unome wrote:
rfscoach wrote:Is IU still going to be doing Science Olympiad Summer camp this year? I have parents starting to ask about interesting science summer camp opportunities.
Wait does that still exist? I thought they canceled it ~5 years ago.
It's gone now and has been for quite a while. Too bad - it would have been awesome to attend.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

dcrxcode wrote:
Unome wrote:
rfscoach wrote:Is IU still going to be doing Science Olympiad Summer camp this year? I have parents starting to ask about interesting science summer camp opportunities.
Wait does that still exist? I thought they canceled it ~5 years ago.
It's gone now and has been for quite a while. Too bad - it would have been awesome to attend.

Bummer. I hadn't looked into it for years, but I have some students interested in camps....
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
pikachu4919
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Hmmm here are compiled Division C results from this year's regional tournaments. These are by school, not individual teams.

Goshen College:
1. Northridge
2. La Lumiere
3. Manchester
4. Riley
5. Mishawaka
(idk how many teams they send to state from this one, but these are the top 5)

St. Joseph's College:
1. Bishop Dwenger
2. John Adams
3. Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics and Humanities
4. Peru
5 and Wildcard: Winamac

Purdue West Lafayette:
1. West Lafayette
2. Fishers
3. Mississinewa
4. McCutcheon
5. Warren Central
(idk how many teams they send to state from this one, but these are the top 5)

IU Northwest:
1. Lake Central
2. Bloomington North
3. Valparaiso
4. Chesterton
5. Canterbury
6 and Wildcard: Marquette Catholic

Butler University:
1. Carmel :D
2. Bloomington South
3. Mt. Vernon
4. North Central
5. Terre Haute North Vigo
6 and Wildcard: Avon

Purdue Calumet:
1. Munster
2. Whiting
3. Rennselaer Central
4. East Noble
5. Hammond Academy of Science and Technology

I can't find results for Ivy Tech Bloomington, Vincennes, or the Wildcard Tournament.
Last edited by pikachu4919 on March 10th, 2016, 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
valjean
Division: C

Post by valjean »

What were the scores for the teams at butler?
Astronomy Remote Sensing Hovercraft :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
pikachu4919
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

valjean wrote:What were the scores for the teams at butler?
We haven't received them yet

EDIT: Here they are!

Carmel: 65
Bloomington South: 85
Mt. Vernon: 164
North Central: 173
Terre Haute North Vigo: 175
Avon (wildcard): 175
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
valjean

Post by valjean »

Does anyone know how many teams Indiana is sending to nationals this year? Sorry, I just don't really know how this works.
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dcrxcode »

valjean wrote:Does anyone know how many teams Indiana is sending to nationals this year? Sorry, I just don't really know how this works.
Don't bet on more than 1 - Indiana membership has been very stagnant for the last couple of years and other states' memberships are only rising. Valjean, you're from BHSN, right?
Last edited by dcrxcode on March 6th, 2016, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valjean

Post by valjean »

Yup! This is my third year at Bloomington North.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Surprise; I'm actually going to States this weekend, one last time. This is the fourth year in a row I'm retiring. Amtrakking to Renssealer tomorrow (Thursday), staying with friends and coming down Friday, working Mission one more time, and returning to Grand Rapids Saturday & Sunday. It's kind of complicated without a car and all my health problems.

For those wondering, over the past year and a half I have been fighting long-undiagnosed Stage 4 (severe) Nephritis. Six months ago I got on the kidney transplant list, and about a month ago, my kidneys finally gave up the last 17% they had, and I started dialysis. Three days a week, four hours per visit, with a pair of needles in my arm bigger than basketball inflator needles. Best comment so far? "Wow, I never saw tubing that shade of red before. Is it scarlet or maroon?" My answer: "No, it's transparent."

Kidneys do far more than filter waste products; it regulates body fluid volume, blood pressure, mwater-soluble mineral quantities, and blood pH; it also creates Vitamin D. Every one of these mess up other organs in a cascading effect. Dialysis itself creates many issues, like incredible insomnia, protein, phosphorus and iron loss, organ damage, and I now kind of wobble when I walk. However, it's absolutely necessary until I get a new kidney and it looks like a five to seven year wait before my probabality increases to 50%. In short, I have become the type of event sup I used to complain about long ago, so it's time to go.

Kevin Murphy became the Mission Supervisor last season. I picked him myself and refused to consider anyone else -- he was my first Mission winner at States all those years ago. He's trained under me for the past six or seven years, and he scores teams exactly like I do -- we'd both fill out score sheets and the final score would differ by no more than two points. Tina Gilliland wants me there because she doesnt want to lose me and is afriad something will go wrong; it won't -- and I'm coming solely to keep her from worrying -- I've worked with her in one arrangement or another for 23 years. Just gonna sit around, talk to people, teach the event to a few rookie coaches, and eat fancy pastries from the shop down the hall.

Tell your coach; stop by; say hi. I now look like a cross between an Amish farmer and Buddy Holly. No sentimental crap, please.
Uncle Fester, Maker & Fiction Science Writer

The Misadventures of the Electric Detention
The Revenge of the Electric Detention
The Curse of the Electric Detention
>> Three full-length adventures, 26 short stories and counting!
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dcrxcode »

Good luck to everyone tomorrow at State! I'm really excited.

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”