New York 2016

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: New York 2016

Post by Unome »

Back on topic now... so C State is in two weeks. Any predictions? I don't know enough about what's been happening in NY this year to say much, but at MIT F-M seemed a lot stronger than Columbia.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Unome wrote:Back on topic now... so C State is in two weeks. Any predictions? I don't know enough about what's been happening in NY this year to say much, but at MIT F-M seemed a lot stronger than Columbia.
One might argue from Islip GNS is pretty good, but iirc their regs showed that Kellenberg is still kinda on par with them? But then with that there's HHHE and their performance at regs, etc. It'd be interesting to see Syo and Mount Academy move past them, but then who knows if it'll just stay the same. On top of that, there's still Ward, Columbia, FM, and I really have no idea how these teams compare, but interesting FM did fairly better than Columbia. At most, there's the obvious thing that most teams that got 1st/2nd will do well, though who knows how it'll end up being. More input from people competing?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

syo_astro wrote:
Unome wrote:Back on topic now... so C State is in two weeks. Any predictions? I don't know enough about what's been happening in NY this year to say much, but at MIT F-M seemed a lot stronger than Columbia.
One might argue from Islip GNS is pretty good, but iirc their regs showed that Kellenberg is still kinda on par with them? But then with that there's HHHE and their performance at regs, etc. It'd be interesting to see Syo and Mount Academy move past them, but then who knows if it'll just stay the same. On top of that, there's still Ward, Columbia, FM, and I really have no idea how these teams compare, but interesting FM did fairly better than Columbia. At most, there's the obvious thing that most teams that got 1st/2nd will do well, though who knows how it'll end up being. More input from people competing?
Oh wow HHHE got 4th at Regionals? Haven't they been top 5 at state for a while now? I remember in 2013 there was some speculation that they might make it to Nationals over WM (lol in hindsight).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Yes, they have been top 5 at states for a while along with Syo typically somewhere in the 3 - 5 range. I don't know if the speculation was for them precisely yeah, but they definitely got quite close in 2013. In fact, you can now double check all results under the "Complete State Results" section on the wiki courtesy of my update! I put the pdf and excel of the results there, and shout out to BroNi for sending me the files. The Excel file can be edited by anyone and replaced with the PDF as needed, but I hope those who were curious enjoy. Note they are overall rankings, no scores (though, a few of those files are available).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Lampooning
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lampooning »

Prediction: F-M, WM
Lampooning

Post by Lampooning »

A message saying I should pursue the question about why the Southern Tier does not post their scores or even positions after the first 3. I'm not sure why but it is an interesting question. What would prompt someone to request this be pursued?

I do wonder about the notion that this is "off topic". Really? Isn't this about NY? Aren't other posters using the standings and scores in the regionals to speculate about States? And then there is this PM to "let it go". Let what go and why?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I sent the PM to "let it go". Older members, coaches, and very high-up people within the Science Olympiad organization have already given you the reasons why scores are not always released publicly. If you must continue to discuss it, I ask that you do so in more of a manner that allows for constructive discussion, as opposed to attacks on the competence of tournament directors. Otherwise, I highly advise you, as an administrator of the site, to drop the topic.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Lampooning

Post by Lampooning »

I think the tournament directors are very competent! At no point have I questioned that. In fact, quite the opposite. I think they are all highly skilled. Actually I've objected to the idea that they are lacking in skills when others have suggested that. They seem all very skilled and technology savvy.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Outside the Southern Tier results issues which have been discussed quite a bit...I would like to cut into what seems like strong tensions, I think everyone gets where Lampooning is coming from here in saying that issues with releasing results is important, they should be handled, but also east does have a point. Given that both sides have issues, both sides are correct in some ways...there's a point where maybe there might be more productive ways to progress the conversation than quoting this and that, etc...

Something different! So you think FM + Ward eh? I guess I should just hedge bets and give some predictions for a top 10, it'll make for interesting discussion and maybe remind me what's going on. Looking into some of the results around, predictions are very hard to make, but life shouldn't be easy:

1. FM (This is just going off of MIT, though I definitely will admit things can change. But hey, FM has the tendency to get better during the year and...okay, probably most teams do. I figure they probably would get top 2 anyway, so let's just go with this because they do have quite the strong track record considering well over the past decade)
2. Columbia (Over the past few years they've just been getting better, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that was a strong base of seniors that finally graduated, kind of like Ward a bit back. I'll just bet they still have a lot of power, but we'll see)
3. Ward (I'd argue their constant influx of people from Gelinas/Murphy on top of their consistent track record makes them pretty high up there. Even if their regionals don't seem 100% perfection, I think they'll probably get better for states)
4. Syosset (Hey, I'm not that biased to go and give them top 3 quite yet because I don't know if much has changed compared to previous years. I know they got straight medals at regionals, so they might be a bit better for states compared to previous years. I'd actually give 3rd or better, but I'm giving somewhat safe bets here based on past states results)
5. Mount Academy (I would put Half Hollow here, but considering Yale, Mount Academy continuously doing well, and the fact that Half Hollow has been doing worse at regs/Islip...I don't think it's too much of a stretch to give Mount Academy a top 5, here's hoping for their first!)
6. Brighton (Well, Webster Schroeder would go here considering last year, but Brighton did slightly better at regionals...now that doesn't mean all that much, but I figure teams 6 - 14 I'm basically taking stabs in the dark, so here goes one)
7. HHHE (They've been extraordinary over the past batch of years. But considering Islip + regionals...well, something has to give. I would give them 6th, but I feel like some other team might get it, and on the other hand I think they haven't fallen down so much. ~4th -> ~7th isn't a huge leap considering a few more bad events than usual even if they get fixed by states a little is all it takes...here's where irony comes or something and they get 3rd or something)
8. GNS (Ah, this is tough...I figured GNS has done pretty well at invites, so maybe that extra practice will boost them up a little, and considering their competition is probably quite on par, this extra practice is all that's needed to edge other teams out. On the other hand, I don't know if it's quite enough to get into the death block that is the top 6, and I shall keep guessing from past states results that probably don't have bearing on this year)
9. Spackenkill (Well, they definitely won't do badly at states considering invites, but I get the feeling GNS is slightly more consistent from their regionals scores. Bombs kill teams quite a bit, especially at states)
10. Kellenberg (I get the feeling this very well could go to any team, but I like BroNi too much to not give it to his team. That and they do go to enough invites to warrant the "practice had to do something" excuse, like with GNS. The one issue I have is they seemed to do slightly worse at regs compared with GNS, so I get the feeling that Spackenkill might just edge them out if all the teams are on par at states just based on Islip)

Other not quite dark horses in no order: Townsend Harris, Webster Schroeder, Williamsville East, Stuyvesant, Islip...and here is where I'll be very intrigued to see the entire state's rankings get flipped around XD.

Well, that was really tough. To be honest, I feel like places 6 - 10 are probably all wrong, but I had to guess something! Hopefully at least the teams in the top 5 are right, though that wouldn't be as surprising as getting the order right. In fact, I hope this is all wrong!

Last bit: Good luck to B teams competing at regionals this weekend!!!
Lampooning

Post by Lampooning »

Hope this was a great day for those competing regardless of where they ended up in terms of their ranks and medals.

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”