Pennsylvania 2016

finagle29
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Pennsylvania 2016

Post by finagle29 » March 1st, 2016, 5:14 pm

Really missing East's well-written, in depth PA regionals predictions rn with SEPA tomorrow... crosses fingers
Bayard Rustin HS Alum

2013 Events: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Experiment, Robot Arm
2014 Events: Circuit Lab, Experiment, TPS, Mat Sci, Astro
2015 Events: Astro, Chem Lab, Compound Machines, Experiment, Time, TPS
2016 Events: Astro, Cell Bio, Chem Lab, Electric Vehicle, Time, Protein Modeling, Wind Power

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » March 1st, 2016, 7:26 pm

I just hopped on to start that! I, uhh... may not have realized how early SE was.

Anyway, ima get SE out of the way first, and then deal with everyone else later. That way I'm not cramming in everything at once!

Presenting East's 2016 Southeast Regional Predictions (that will probably be wrong)

B Division: 1. Strath Haven, 2. Bala Cynwyd, 3. Welsh Valley, 4. Devon Prep, 5. Springton Lake. Well, this looks boring. And part of that is that I'm really far removed from Division B right now: It's been 8 years since my last year in Division B; that's how ancient I am. Anyway, I'm basing a lot of this on Rustin performance. Strath Haven performed very well, and seem like the current biggest challenger to the top 2 in the state (Springhouse/Shady Side). Bala Cynwyd was some margin behind, but 4th is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, they're probably the most consistent team in this region, and have been 1st or 2nd in all but one of the past 9 years. Speaking of consistency, Welsh Valley has an 11-year streak of placing in the top 3 at regionals, and without knowing exactly how their team looks right now, I've got no better option but to put them back. Devon Prep seems to have taken a slight step back from last year's school-record season, but I don't really see them falling too far. And coming in 5th is good old Springton Lake, who always seem to be solid, especially since 2013.

C Division: 1. Harriton, 2. Penncrest, 3. Rustin, 4. Strath Haven, 5. Conestoga. On the bright side, I get to finish the toughest region in PA first! And the choice for first is simple; under no circumstances am I putting Harriton lower than first, especially after their showing at MIT (and Cornell). In case we weren't already aware, this is a really dangerous team. Penncrest is second because after their relatively close shave last year, I expect them to not take any chances. Winning at Tiger is no small feat; Penncrest means business. The three teams that follow are the really good teams that would get first in any other PA region, but are stuck in the group of death because of that annoying thing some of us call geography. I just don't know if they've shown enough firepower at invites when compared to the top two. Rustin's rigorous invitational schedule gives them the edge over the other two. I was going to put Stoga fourth, but then I realized that I've picked Strath at 5th for two straight years, and they finished 4th both years. No way am I going to risk that happening a third time. Honorable mention to Lower Merion, which really should consider picking up the school and moving it somewhere outside Montgomery, Bucks, Chester, and Delaware Counties. Anywhere, really.

Anyway, that's SE! I'll get the others up later this week (possibly tomorrow).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

roadscholar11
Division: C

Post by roadscholar11 » March 2nd, 2016, 2:23 pm

SE PA Regionals Results:

B:
1. Bala Cynwyd, 21 medals
2. Strath Haven, 12 medals
3. Welsh Valley, 11 medals
4. Devon Prep, 8 medals
5. Stetson, 8 medals
6. T/E, 5 medals
7. Springton Lake, 5 medals
8. Garnet Valley, 5 medals

C:
1. Rustin, 17 medals
2. Harriton, 16 medals
3. Penncrest, 14 medals
4. Conestoga, 10 medals
5. Lower Merion, 8 medals
6. Strath Haven, 10 medals
7. Garnet Valley, 2 medals

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome » March 2nd, 2016, 3:38 pm

roadscholar11 wrote: B:
1. Bala Cynwyd, 21 medals
2. Strath Haven, 12 medals
3. Welsh Valley, 11 medals
4. Devon Prep, 8 medals
5. Stetson, 8 medals
6. T/E, 5 medals
7. Springton Lake, 5 medals
8. Garnet Valley, 5 medals
Wow, Bala Cynwyd has such a lead... medals in 21 events (medals are top 4 at PA regionals right?) means that they're likely a bit under 50 points. Also T/E is getting better, so the Stoga team will (eventually) have some more experience a few years down the road. And it looks like for the most part East's predictions were accurate (considering they were done the day before :roll: ).
roadscholar11 wrote: C:
1. Rustin, 17 medals
2. Harriton, 16 medals
3. Penncrest, 14 medals
4. Conestoga, 10 medals
5. Lower Merion, 8 medals
6. Strath Haven, 10 medals
7. Garnet Valley, 2 medals
Congratulations to Rustin for winning! (although weren't they like 15th or something at MIT? That's quite a turnaround). Strath looks like they had some event bombs, Lower Merion is back in the top five after a few years, and since Penncrest was third, obviously they'll qualify for Nationals and continue the streak.

Has it already been determined how many state bids each region gets?
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » March 2nd, 2016, 4:03 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:B Division: 1. Strath Haven, 2. Bala Cynwyd, 3. Welsh Valley, 4. Devon Prep, 5. Springton Lake. Well, this looks boring. And part of that is that I'm really far removed from Division B right now: It's been 8 years since my last year in Division B; that's how ancient I am. Anyway, I'm basing a lot of this on Rustin performance. Strath Haven performed very well, and seem like the current biggest challenger to the top 2 in the state (Springhouse/Shady Side). Bala Cynwyd was some margin behind, but 4th is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, they're probably the most consistent team in this region, and have been 1st or 2nd in all but one of the past 9 years. Speaking of consistency, Welsh Valley has an 11-year streak of placing in the top 3 at regionals, and without knowing exactly how their team looks right now, I've got no better option but to put them back. Devon Prep seems to have taken a slight step back from last year's school-record season, but I don't really see them falling too far. And coming in 5th is good old Springton Lake, who always seem to be solid, especially since 2013.
Just to fill you in, Bala Cynwyd pretty much medaled in every event. I suppose 2nd isn't bad (Go Strath Haven!) :P .

GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach

Post by GoldenKnight1 » March 2nd, 2016, 4:48 pm

Unome wrote:Has it already been determined how many state bids each region gets?
We were told that the 8 B division teams listed and the 7 C division teams have all qualified (assuming nothing changes in the scoring).

roadscholar11

Post by roadscholar11 » March 2nd, 2016, 5:36 pm

Anyone have scores for SE PA?

Raven

Post by Raven » March 2nd, 2016, 5:56 pm

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I just hopped on to start that! I, uhh... may not have realized how early SE was.

Anyway, ima get SE out of the way first, and then deal with everyone else later. That way I'm not cramming in everything at once!

Presenting East's 2016 Southeast Regional Predictions (that will probably be wrong)

B Division: 1. Strath Haven, 2. Bala Cynwyd, 3. Welsh Valley, 4. Devon Prep, 5. Springton Lake. Well, this looks boring. And part of that is that I'm really far removed from Division B right now: It's been 8 years since my last year in Division B; that's how ancient I am. Anyway, I'm basing a lot of this on Rustin performance. Strath Haven performed very well, and seem like the current biggest challenger to the top 2 in the state (Springhouse/Shady Side). Bala Cynwyd was some margin behind, but 4th is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, they're probably the most consistent team in this region, and have been 1st or 2nd in all but one of the past 9 years. Speaking of consistency, Welsh Valley has an 11-year streak of placing in the top 3 at regionals, and without knowing exactly how their team looks right now, I've got no better option but to put them back. Devon Prep seems to have taken a slight step back from last year's school-record season, but I don't really see them falling too far. And coming in 5th is good old Springton Lake, who always seem to be solid, especially since 2013.

C Division: 1. Harriton, 2. Penncrest, 3. Rustin, 4. Strath Haven, 5. Conestoga. On the bright side, I get to finish the toughest region in PA first! And the choice for first is simple; under no circumstances am I putting Harriton lower than first, especially after their showing at MIT (and Cornell). In case we weren't already aware, this is a really dangerous team. Penncrest is second because after their relatively close shave last year, I expect them to not take any chances. Winning at Tiger is no small feat; Penncrest means business. The three teams that follow are the really good teams that would get first in any other PA region, but are stuck in the group of death because of that annoying thing some of us call geography. I just don't know if they've shown enough firepower at invites when compared to the top two. Rustin's rigorous invitational schedule gives them the edge over the other two. I was going to put Stoga fourth, but then I realized that I've picked Strath at 5th for two straight years, and they finished 4th both years. No way am I going to risk that happening a third time. Honorable mention to Lower Merion, which really should consider picking up the school and moving it somewhere outside Montgomery, Bucks, Chester, and Delaware Counties. Anywhere, really.

Anyway, that's SE! I'll get the others up later this week (possibly tomorrow).

Good job, teams! See you at states!
Birds, Fossils, WQ, Chem Lab

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » March 2nd, 2016, 9:07 pm

Unome wrote: Wow, Bala Cynwyd has such a lead... medals in 21 events (medals are top 4 at PA regionals right?) means that they're likely a bit under 50 points. Also T/E is getting better, so the Stoga team will (eventually) have some more experience a few years down the road. And it looks like for the most part East's predictions were accurate (considering they were done the day before :roll: ).
Medals are indeed top 4. Since the Southeast region in B is nowhere near as dominant in the state as in C, the trend of B success turning into C success tends to be less pronounced than in the other regions of the state, but if T/E keeps improving and becomes a major player at the state tournament, it definitely could help Stoga to an extent.
roadscholar11 wrote:Anyone have scores for SE PA?
Scores usually come out within the week, so I'd expect them by Monday or so, approximately. I definitely expect there to be some interesting trends...
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx » March 3rd, 2016, 8:04 am

roadscholar11 wrote:Anyone have scores for SE PA?
Last year they came out on Friday
Lower Merion Class Of 2017

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”