Southern California 2016

freed2003
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Southern California 2016

Post by freed2003 »

bearasauras wrote:
freed2003 wrote:you still got 10th though. we got 2300 and 25th place
What school are you from? I don't see any 25th team with an efficiency of 2300.
I go to miller. our bridge held 14.8 and weighed 6.4
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

Interesting, the mass of the bridge and the mass held we have here are different from what you had. if you want to know the numbers we have, please ask your coach to contact us.
Kenshi Takahashi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kenshi Takahashi »

Entomology wrote:
Kenshi Takahashi wrote:
Entomology wrote:
Thanks :). Do you have any idea which two events they medalled in?[

Sorry I just saw this, the two events were ELG and bottle rockets.
Thanks so much.
Sorry, one last question. Sorry I'm asking so much, I'm actually in the Orange County region but am probably moving to the San Diego region next year and I'm researching schools around that area.
Do you remember what place Pacific Trails got in Invasive Species and Experimental Design? (those are my primary events).
:!: 2019 Events: Disease, Experimental, Geo Mapping, Herpetology, WIDI :!:
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:
Entomology wrote:
Kenshi Takahashi wrote:
Thanks :). Do you have any idea which two events they medalled in?[

Sorry I just saw this, the two events were ELG and bottle rockets.
Thanks so much.
Sorry, one last question. Sorry I'm asking so much, I'm actually in the Orange County region but am probably moving to the San Diego region next year and I'm researching schools around that area.
Do you remember what place Pacific Trails got in Invasive Species and Experimental Design? (those are my primary events).
Didn't place in those events, i just checked. PTMS scioly isn't too serious or big-they usually can't find coaches for most of their events, and so they don't participate in those events. If you are a highly serious competitor, i recommend going to CVMS (shameless self advertisement haha) their scioly is pretty competitive, but its one of the best, if not the best, scioly schools in the region.
I'm actually coaching Invasive at CVMS next year ;)

Edit: Pacific Trails did not participate in Expd, so it was impossible for them to place in that event. They did not place in Invasive.
If you have more questions, feel free to PM me, that might be easier.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
marty3
Division: Grad

Post by marty3 »

bearasauras wrote:
Unome wrote:
bearasauras wrote:
We don't have the resources to share all raw scores with all teams but you can ask your coach to ask us if there's only a couple of events.
If you're using Chalker's spreadsheet (which it looks like it from the rankings sheet), isn't all you have to do copy the master scoresheet, change the column that they reference, and resize the columns? I know it breaks a few of the macros, but if you do it after all the scores have been inputted I think it works.
Haha, I've done that once or twice in the past and it still took quite a bit of time because it isn't just the raw scores. You have raw scores and tiers and ties, too. And in most cases (for the written events), the raw scores are meaningless without the high score and the median and/or mean. So we if we send out the raw scores, we send out the high, median and mean as well. Oh and then needa send it out to each coach If anyone's got a solution that doesn't take hours, I'd love to hear it.
My solution would be to write a script that reads spreadsheets for all events, calculates statistics, and outputs a separate file for each school containing only their scores and overall statistics for each event. I just checked this in python and it works well with my event (Its About Time, not in SoCal). If you have spreadsheets for written events with test scores that would work too.

The only caveat might be column headers, but this can easily be fixed in future years when writing all those excel spreadsheets. I think the only necessary one for every event would be "Total Score", and for events with tiers a precise column header "Tier" and for events with tests and other scoring elements a distinct "Test Score" column.

Point is, an easy and quick solution exists. Writing the script might take some time, but it could be very robust.
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

Marty, if you or someone can write it, I will take this to our Board and it'll most likely happen.

Everyone on our planning team has put in literally hundreds of hours each to make this past weekend's tournament possible. And now that that's done, they're all working so that we can host the summer workshop for coaches this summer. And this is on top of their busy school work at Caltech. Remember that most of us putting together the local tournaments were competitors not too long ago and we want a lot of the things you guys want too. I'm not simply using the lack of time as an excuse. If you can write a script to do it, please send it over. I know all of us will really appreciate it.
Erasmus Wembley

Post by Erasmus Wembley »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:
Overall C division results were about what I expected in C division, B division had some interesting surprises (Mesa Robles beating Jeffrey Trail, Mesa Verde getting the same score at states as at regionals- but then again Mesa Verde has a long and glorious history of getting third, if you look back far enough).
Little late on a reply to this. Because Mesa Verde doesn't go to any invitationals, the San Diego regional is basically the shakedown cruise for us. We probably make more changes between the regional and the state competition than any other school. This year, we changed six of the 15 team members between the regional and the state and shifted some existing members to new events. We ended up with completely different teams in Anatomy, Bottle Rockets, Crime Busters, Picture This, Wind Power, and Write It, Do It than at the regional, and partial changes in Air Trajectory, Bio-Process Lab, Elastic Launched Gliders, Experimental Design, Food Science, Fossils, Green Generation, Invasive Species, Meteorology, Mission Possible, and Reach for the Stars. We only kept the same team as the regional in six of the 23 events. It's that way every year, and we have had a history of placing the same or higher at state as at the regional:

2010: 3rd Regional, 3rd State
2011: 4th Regional, 3rd State (1 point out of 2nd, 3 points out of 1st)
2012: 2nd Regional, 2nd State
2016: 3rd Regional, 3rd State (almost 2nd!)
Kenshi Takahashi

Post by Kenshi Takahashi »

Erasmus Wembley wrote:
PacificGoldenPlover wrote:
Overall C division results were about what I expected in C division, B division had some interesting surprises (Mesa Robles beating Jeffrey Trail, Mesa Verde getting the same score at states as at regionals- but then again Mesa Verde has a long and glorious history of getting third, if you look back far enough).
Little late on a reply to this. Because Mesa Verde doesn't go to any invitationals, the San Diego regional is basically the shakedown cruise for us. We probably make more changes between the regional and the state competition than any other school. This year, we changed six of the 15 team members between the regional and the state and shifted some existing members to new events. We ended up with completely different teams in Anatomy, Bottle Rockets, Crime Busters, Picture This, Wind Power, and Write It, Do It than at the regional, and partial changes in Air Trajectory, Bio-Process Lab, Elastic Launched Gliders, Experimental Design, Food Science, Fossils, Green Generation, Invasive Species, Meteorology, Mission Possible, and Reach for the Stars. We only kept the same team as the regional in six of the 23 events. It's that way every year, and we have had a history of placing the same or higher at state as at the regional:

2010: 3rd Regional, 3rd State
2011: 4th Regional, 3rd State (1 point out of 2nd, 3 points out of 1st)
2012: 2nd Regional, 2nd State
2016: 3rd Regional, 3rd State (almost 2nd!)
You guys were only four points off from 2nd :| that sucks.
:!: 2019 Events: Disease, Experimental, Geo Mapping, Herpetology, WIDI :!:
M_Mo 612

Post by M_Mo 612 »

Yeah it looked quite close. During the awards I was anxious to see what the gap between Kraemer and Mesa was.
Former member of the dankest scioly team in America Sierra Vista MS! Go Chargers!

Ex-scioly guy left with just happy memories now

2015-16 Events
Bottle Rockets
Bridge Building
Invasive Species
Meteorology
Scrambler
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

One observation I've viewed with favorable interest is the uptick in users from Orange County. I now know of users from Uni, Kraemer, Sierra Vista, Cerro Villa, and the school that shall not be named. Maybe there will be enough to do a meetup at regionals next year?
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”