Southern California 2016

M_Mo 612
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Southern California 2016

Post by M_Mo 612 »

Yeah that would be pretty cool. The only problem is that I will be at Northwood next year, and it's really tough to get on their scioly team for freshmen.
Former member of the dankest scioly team in America Sierra Vista MS! Go Chargers!

Ex-scioly guy left with just happy memories now

2015-16 Events
Bottle Rockets
Bridge Building
Invasive Species
Meteorology
Scrambler
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

M_Mo 612 wrote:Yeah that would be pretty cool. The only problem is that I will be at Northwood next year, and it's really tough to get on their scioly team for freshmen.
Hm, relatable. The canyon crest scioly state team is near impossible if you aren't a junior or senior.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
Erasmus Wembley

Post by Erasmus Wembley »

Kenshi Takahashi wrote:
Erasmus Wembley wrote:
PacificGoldenPlover wrote:
Overall C division results were about what I expected in C division, B division had some interesting surprises (Mesa Robles beating Jeffrey Trail, Mesa Verde getting the same score at states as at regionals- but then again Mesa Verde has a long and glorious history of getting third, if you look back far enough).
Little late on a reply to this. Because Mesa Verde doesn't go to any invitationals, the San Diego regional is basically the shakedown cruise for us. We probably make more changes between the regional and the state competition than any other school. This year, we changed six of the 15 team members between the regional and the state and shifted some existing members to new events. We ended up with completely different teams in Anatomy, Bottle Rockets, Crime Busters, Picture This, Wind Power, and Write It, Do It than at the regional, and partial changes in Air Trajectory, Bio-Process Lab, Elastic Launched Gliders, Experimental Design, Food Science, Fossils, Green Generation, Invasive Species, Meteorology, Mission Possible, and Reach for the Stars. We only kept the same team as the regional in six of the 23 events. It's that way every year, and we have had a history of placing the same or higher at state as at the regional:

2010: 3rd Regional, 3rd State
2011: 4th Regional, 3rd State (1 point out of 2nd, 3 points out of 1st)
2012: 2nd Regional, 2nd State
2016: 3rd Regional, 3rd State (almost 2nd!)
You guys were only four points off from 2nd :| that sucks.
If you had told us before that we would finish 3rd and be ahead of Carmel Valley, we would have taken it. Last year, we finished 7th, out of the trophies, so we were just hoping for a trophy. But with us only four points out of 2nd, we're playing a little coulda, woulda, shoulda.
Kenshi Takahashi

Post by Kenshi Takahashi »

M_Mo 612 wrote:Yeah it looked quite close. During the awards I was anxious to see what the gap between Kraemer and Mesa was.
PRIYANKA!!!!!

(hehe sorry. weird Sierra Vista Middle School stuff)
:!: 2019 Events: Disease, Experimental, Geo Mapping, Herpetology, WIDI :!:
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

On another note, does anyone know when the photos will come out? I believe bear said they would come out on 4/15, which is today. How do we get them, btw?
CCA '20 Captain
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

The photographer is back in town Monday. I'm hoping Tuesday.
[mango]

Post by [mango] »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but when and on which website are Invitational competition dates/sign-ups for SoCal first posted? Last year, we waited until November when the state website published a full list of invitationals, but I was wondering if this information was posted anywhere else earlier? It would be really helpful if we could plan our team's schedule earlier this year.
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

[mango] wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but when and on which website are Invitational competition dates/sign-ups for SoCal first posted? Last year, we waited until November when the state website published a full list of invitationals, but I was wondering if this information was posted anywhere else earlier? It would be really helpful if we could plan our team's schedule earlier this year.

Well, chsscioly had the invitationals up on the forums near the beginning of September, but the list wasn't full to begin with. I would suggest looking at the list and keeping an eye out as it grows.
CCA '20 Captain
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Entomology wrote:
[mango] wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but when and on which website are Invitational competition dates/sign-ups for SoCal first posted? Last year, we waited until November when the state website published a full list of invitationals, but I was wondering if this information was posted anywhere else earlier? It would be really helpful if we could plan our team's schedule earlier this year.

Well, chscioly had the invitationals up on the forums near the beginning of September, but the list wasn't full to begin with. I would suggest looking at the list and keeping an eye out as it grows.
If you're looking at one or more specific tournaments, the best thing to do is probably to contact the tournament organizers directly.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Entomology

Post by Entomology »

Unome wrote:
Entomology wrote:

Well, chscioly had the invitationals up on the forums near the beginning of September, but the list wasn't full to begin with. I would suggest looking at the list and keeping an eye out as it grows.
If you're looking at one or more specific tournaments, the best thing to do is probably to contact the tournament organizers directly.
Sorry about the misspelling. Also, as a another point, the schools that held invitationals the past season will most likely be holding invitationals again, so you can have a somewhat rough draft of invitationals before the competition season even starts.
CCA '20 Captain

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”