Division: C
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MIT Invite

Post by bonysteak »

Unome wrote:
bonysteak wrote:
Adi1008 wrote: Chattahoochee was super good. I really think you guys are going to do really well and FSU at nationals this year
Our team has really good people this year. Except I heard that Nationals coincides with our graduation day? So in the event that we get top 2 at state, the seniors won't be able to go. And All-State also coincides with our regional tournament day :/

Oh well. lol :P
Luckily, this is false. Graduation is the week after Nationals. If it were true, we would likely end up at around 30th at Nationals.
windu34 wrote: Nationals has coincided with our schools graduation as well for the last couple years (not exactly sure how far back this goes). Most of our seniors opt to skip graduation and go to nationals.
This is what I would do, and what I would expect from others if it happened (because what use is graduation anyway?).

wait really? Yay

Ok we all know you would skip graduation, because you're ultimate scioly nerd, but I dunno. I know at least one of the seniors on our team would've skipped nationals because they told me personally.
2016 National Tournament Wind Power 3rd place
(・∀・ )
samlan16
Division: Grad

Post by samlan16 »

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote: Nationals has coincided with our schools graduation as well for the last couple years (not exactly sure how far back this goes). Most of our seniors opt to skip graduation and go to nationals.
This is what I would do, and what I would expect from others if it happened (because what use is graduation anyway?).
Did that in 8th grade alongside 7ish of my friends. Turns out that we did not miss much.
Old fart who sort of did things sort of for some schools.
Lampooning

Post by Lampooning »

" Whatever happened to the New York teams? Fayetteville-Manlius and Columbia both placed far behind where I expected based on their previous Nationals performances."

I wouldn't underestimate the NY teams. Take a look at the pattern of the scores.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Adi1008 wrote:
arvind_r wrote:I only got an astronomy answer sheet, but not a test packet. Did the same thing happen to everyone else, or is it just me?
Same here. However, I think that the coaches will eventually get an email with a link to a dropbox folder with all the tests and everything that is password protected, so we could see it then.

Also, I think AAVSO will have something in the near future since Donna and Tad (the national event coordinators for astronomy) rand it at MIT and past astronomy tests are put there
AAVSO may not have up some of those tests for this year. I think this has been discussed on the Astronomy topic, so I would recommend checking the direct website for the event on soinc.org just in case.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Did anyone recieve raw scores for air trajectory and robot arm?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

No. I think Green Gen is the only event where the max scores were provided.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
Fluorine
State: FL

Post by Fluorine »

windu34 wrote:Did anyone recieve raw scores for air trajectory and robot arm?
Yea they are missing from the file they sent out. Also the invasive species test answer key only has answer to about 20 questions. While anyone who took that knows there was wayyyy more than 20 on that test.
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Bazinga+ »

Lampooning wrote:" Whatever happened to the New York teams? Fayetteville-Manlius and Columbia both placed far behind where I expected based on their previous Nationals performances."

I wouldn't underestimate the NY teams. Take a look at the pattern of the scores.
It looks like Fayetteville didn't bring a lot if their tech events, but I'm still quite surprised at how bad Columbia and Fayetteville preformed at MIT (no offense). I kinda wonder how we (Melville) would have preformed there of we didn't get snowed in. We are planning to take the tests as practice, and will try to see how we would have done. Does anyone know if we will be getting the raw tech scores from MIT?
Innovation =/= success
Unome

Post by Unome »

Bazinga+ wrote:
Lampooning wrote:" Whatever happened to the New York teams? Fayetteville-Manlius and Columbia both placed far behind where I expected based on their previous Nationals performances."

It looks like Fayetteville didn't bring a lot if their tech events, but I'm still quite surprised at how bad Columbia and Fayetteville preformed at MIT (no offense). I kinda wonder how we (Melville) would have preformed there of we didn't get snowed in. We are planning to take the tests as practice, and will try to see how we would have done. Does anyone know if we will be getting the raw tech scores from MIT?
"We" as in Ward Melville because you had to cancel the trip? I would think so, since you paid the registration fee (was it refunded?), but I'm not sure.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
varunscs11
State: PA

Post by varunscs11 »

Does anyone know when pictures from MIT will be posted? (It's been 2 weeks already)
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”