MIT Invite

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: MIT Invite

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:So anyone up for a scioly.org meetup at MIT? It looks like there's a lot of us going (plus probably a bunch of volunteers).
Yeah I'd be down for that!
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Jaol
State: GA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jaol »

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Tournament results. No point scores as of now.
10th-Boca Raton (Nice)
9th-Acton-Boxborough(Bit lower)
8th-Chattahoochee High School (Wow)
7th-Mentor(Fine)
6th-Clements(Seven Lakes beat them?)
5th-Seven Lakes(They beat Clements?)
4th-Liberal Arts and Science Academy(Sure)
3rd-Harriton(Ok)
2nd-Solon(Hmm. Suppose they're better now.)
1st-Troy(Thought they procrastinated)
EDIT: Apparently Mentor B got 9th actually.
winchesetr
State: PA

Post by winchesetr »

Scores are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/34tnr8zbqaehr ... 6.pdf?dl=0

Congrats to everyone who competed today!

Teams/Points:
1. Troy (112)
2. Solon (190)
3. Harriton (193)
4. LASA (223)
5. Seven Lakes (249)
6. Clements (253)
7. Mentor (259)
8. Chattahoochee (270)
9. Mentor (294)
10 Actin-Boxborough (299)

Thoughts:
These results are results are really interesting, not only because of the placement of teams, but because of the grouping of points for those teams.
Troy won by a huuuuuuge margin. They medalled in 18/23 events, their average event placing was ~5, their lowest placing was a 23, and the next closest team was almost 80 pts away.
I'd classify the next grouping of teams to be Solon and Harriton. As you can see, their points were insanely close, at 190 to 193. Not only that, but Solon medalled in 11 events, and Harriton in 12. Medalwise, however, Harriton was more 1st place medals (4:1), and more 1-3rd place medals (9:5) than Solon. Harriton Lost key points in Chem Lab, Game On, and Robot Arm, while Solon dropped (fewer) points in Forensics, Fossils, and Wright Stuff. It's good to see Solon making a comeback after last year though.
LASA seems to be in the middle of the groupings. They had a good score, but a few events brought them down. Still overall a great placing.
Seven Lakes, Clements, and Mentor were also really close in my opinion, falling within a 10 point range of each other. The same could be said about the last 3 teams as well.

Interesting notes:
Troy is still going strong, but a lot can change between now and regionals/states/nats, so watching where they go from here will be cool.
Solon is looking good, and it will be interesting to see how they do this year after last year's break from nats.
Harriton is looking strong. Going into into this, I think people were expecting them to do worse than they did, but rocking out a solid 3rd, an arms reach from 2nd place shows that they shouldn't be underestimated.
LASA/Seven Lakes are fighters and should be able to look at their results and make sure they kick butt in the events at regionals/states/Nats
Clement: they're looking strong, I'm excited to watch Texas because I think they have a big chance at making Nats
Mentor: The fact that both their A and B teams placed in the top 10 shows how strong of a team they are, definitely excited to see where they're going
Chattahoochee: I'll be real, going into this I'd never heard of them, but I was definitely impressed with their placings
Actin-Boxborough: I'm glad to see them placing top 10, it will be interesting to see the results of this year!

Once again, congrats to everyone who competed! Good luck to every team for the rest of this year, and safe travels to everyone who is getting home with this snow!
I like soup.

Harriton High School Class of 2017

SOUP Disease Detectives 2018-Present
DUSO Disease Detectives 2019-Present
arvind_r
Division: C
State: GA

Post by arvind_r »

Does anyone know when MIT will post the tests and answer keys on the website?
Chattahoochee High School Science Olympiad Co-President
2015-16:
Nationals: Game On: 7th place
2016-17:
UGA/MIT/State/Nationals
Astro: 2/14/1/
Chem Lab: 1/-/-/
Game On: 6/-/3/
Hovercraft: -/3/-/
Dynamic Planet: 2/2/2/
Rocks & Minerals: -/14/3/
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

arvind_r wrote:Does anyone know when MIT will post the tests and answer keys on the website?
If done like last year a link to a password-protected Dropbox folder will be emailed to all coaches. And they are asked not to share the link, password, or contents with individuals outside of their team.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Maybe it's because I'm older, but it's really not surprising to me to see Seven Lakes beat Clements. Frankly, I'm more impressed that Clements was so close to Seven Lakes at a high-level invite like this, which LASA and Seven Lakes always tend to do well at.

Unome is from Chattahoochee, and it's always nice to see a scioly member's team have an impressively strong showing like this! :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:Maybe it's because I'm older, but it's really not surprising to me to see Seven Lakes beat Clements. Frankly, I'm more impressed that Clements was so close to Seven Lakes at a high-level invite like this, which LASA and Seven Lakes always tend to do well at.

Unome is from Chattahoochee, and it's always nice to see a scioly member's team have an impressively strong showing like this! :)
Thank you to all the volunteers and coordinators who made the MIT invitational exceptional. The tests that I took were really amazing. As a Seven Lakes student, I think all the Texas team's performances at MIT are just really indicative of how competitive the Texas State competition really is. I'm not surprised at all that all three teams were within a close range of each other. We had some weather issues with events but we'll (and LASA and Clements) will continue improve. I'm almost sure that whichever teams do end up advancing to nationals will place in the top 10.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

Does anyone know when the pictures will be up? I'm interested in seeing them.
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
dkarkada
State: TX

Post by dkarkada »

Who should I contact if my school is missing tests?
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

dkarkada wrote:Who should I contact if my school is missing tests?

I am not sure if any teams got their Protein Modeling exams back. Anyone?

Past that, it might have been mixed in with another school's exams. If you post your team then someone on here might be able to help. Maybe.

Return to “2016 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”